Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If you actually do this, you need to put the engine in a Bronco Raptor.

Why spend all that time, energy, and money to put it in a base program vehicle?

You would essentially be creating the most desirable Bronco in the world that no one else can have (A Bronco Raptor R).

And who knows, if you do this, it may inspire Ford to put the engine in a production Bronco.
For one simple reason. Four doors suck . ..additionally the suspension needs worked up after the engine and transmission is installed, in my opinion ...who knows I might have to chop off the top of the coilover mounts.

By the time we're done reprogramming modules and adding a few doodads that the Raptor has like the fancy steering wheel w/the R button and the instrument panel there really won't be much left to make it a raptor except for the suspension. I'll probably go the APG route when the time comes. The APG fenders look far more lovely than the hideous Braptor ones, too.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol @ a 1 of 1 chopped and massaged First Edition 2DR being a "base program" vehicle. It's already the world's only 2DR non-concept half cab.

I get the sense that @BigMeatsBronco DGAF about what anyone else wants anyway. If people follow his lead or join along the way, great, but he's going to do it no matter what tf anyone else says or does.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This will be EPIC if I might say... Watching....

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you will need to explore running 2 PCMS in series.
I dont think this is as bad of an idea as it may seem to some people (parallel, not series as others corrected). There is probably a better way to make it work, but I think running a mini breadboard of the doner powertrain is a very doable option, and that strategy opens you up to powertrains from other OEMs, which would be impossible otherwise.

I'm late to the party here, but I think that CMA (Can Message Authentication) is a showstopper for 100% OEM fit/finish. But I think it is possible to have it function. I see no way around having CMA codes present at all times and occasional lost coms/invalid data DTC's but luckily those can often heal, and don't always affect core functionality. I will be watching closely and offering as much help as I can!

Would be sweet if Ford Performance would offer non-CMA SW for offroad enthusiasts and performance swaps but that won't ever happen. CMA has inadvertently ruined powertrain swaps for the common hobbyist, tragedy really since no one ever asked for it or wanted it.

I myself would settle for just the core functionality, I would be perfectly fine with a quirk here or there or even loss of selective drive modes or things like that. If you can get that done, i'll be next in line with a 6.7 HO. (Not a joke, it fits with relocation of the oil filter and oil cooler). I'm a crazy diesel fanatic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I dont think this is as bad of an idea as it may seem to some people (parallel, not series as others corrected). There is probably a better way to make it work, but I think running a mini breadboard of the doner powertrain is a very doable option, and that strategy opens you up to powertrains from other OEMs, which would be impossible otherwise.

I'm late to the party here, but I think that CMA (Can Message Authentication) is a showstopper for 100% OEM fit/finish. But I think it is possible to have it function. I see no way around having CMA codes present at all times and occasional lost coms/invalid data DTC's but luckily those can often heal, and don't always affect core functionality. I will be watching closely and offering as much help as I can!

Would be sweet if Ford Performance would offer non-CMA SW for offroad enthusiasts and performance swaps but that won't ever happen. CMA has inadvertently ruined powertrain swaps for the common hobbyist, tragedy really since no one ever asked for it or wanted it.

I myself would settle for just the core functionality, I would be perfectly fine with a quirk here or there or even loss of selective drive modes or things like that. If you can get that done, i'll be next in line with a 6.7 HO. (Not a joke, it fits with relocation of the oil filter and oil cooler). I'm a crazy diesel fanatic.
you could be right however, I understand it a bit differently.

here is a tiny portion in this very deep article...

"Adding an ECU device. When a new ECU is added, the group key is not resent. However, the new device does not have the previous group key; therefore, the gateway first sends a new encrypted group key to the new device and then sends an encrypted time counter. Subsequently, the gateway updates the key for the remaining ECUs with a new seed. Therefore, the new device can send frames to the other ECUs. The group key that was stored in advance is then changed to the current group key, enabling the new device to update its key"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8587895/

In summary, a new or different (compatible)ECU automatically generates the needed "key" to work in unison with the others.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you could be right however, I understand it a bit differently.

here is a tiny portion in this very deep article...

"Adding an ECU device. When a new ECU is added, the group key is not resent. However, the new device does not have the previous group key; therefore, the gateway first sends a new encrypted group key to the new device and then sends an encrypted time counter. Subsequently, the gateway updates the key for the remaining ECUs with a new seed. Therefore, the new device can send frames to the other ECUs. The group key that was stored in advance is then changed to the current group key, enabling the new device to update its key"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8587895/

In summary, a new or different (compatible)ECU automatically generates the needed "key" to work in unison with the others.
Right, I should have been more clear, I don't mean having both PCM's present on the same bus, but rather running on separate parallel buses and linking the necessary inputs/outputs. Again, this may be more work than just trying to brute force the full swaps and SW updates.

Since its all Ford stuff there, the same identifiers for different modules and signals should make this possible, that article looks promising!

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

personally, I would be happy to rip out EVERYTHING electronic, dash cluster drive train, and swap in an LS3 ( smaller cheaper etc. ). It would go 300k miles without failed modules or turbo's and be a gas to drive.
I'd be perfectly happy with a Gen 1 analog dash.

Sponsored

BroncoJoerg

Badlands
First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

personally, I would be happy to rip out EVERYTHING electronic, dash cluster drive train, and swap in an LS3 ( smaller cheaper etc. ). It would go 300k miles without failed modules or turbo's and be a gas to drive.
I'd be perfectly happy with a Gen 1 analog dash.
So, why not buy a OG Bronco, 66-77 would work for this and avoid all of the "rip" of the electronics.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So, why not buy a OG Bronco, 66-77 would work for this and avoid all of the "rip" of the electronics.
because that's part of my goal, to get all the electronic wizardry to function 100%

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

have you made any progress on this ?
just tons of research and wiring diagrams...bid on a few wrecked ones...did not win.
probably happen when I'm finished with the Raptor suspension.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door