Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Porsche Macan S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone have any experience testing the performance difference…if any…between these 2 fuels. I live in NY where Stewart’s stations pump 91 non-ethanol. I’m told it’s generally better for the engine
Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone have any experience testing the performance difference…if any…between these 2 fuels. I live in NY where Stewart’s stations pump 91 non-ethanol. I’m told it’s generally better for the engine
Use that 91 in your lawn mower and don't worry about it for your cars.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Non-ethanol is great for small engines (ATVs, snowmobile, chainsaw, generator, etc.) and marine engines...no advantage to run it in any auto not to mention the price...normally $2/gallon higher than regular 91 octane in my area.

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can’t speak for the bronco but last road trip I took in my Kia with the 2.4 NA GDI I accidentally filled up with ethanol free in Oklahoma City. car ran like crap on it and it yanked my highway mileage from 41 down to 25 MPG. had to refill in Joplin that run and normally in that car I could make it from OKC to the outskirts of St. Louis on a tank. The bronco does seem to run great on the “eco88” that Maverick sells here though. 88 octane 10% ethanol. Also live at 6k feet in elevation so no issues with the lower octane.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would expect your mpg to improve with non corn squeezings fuel. Gasoline has more energy than alcohol.

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would expect your mpg to improve with non corn squeezings fuel. Gasoline has more energy than alcohol.
I expected that myself for the resons you stated, but rec fuel didn't give me any boost when I tried it. I also found that premium doesn't boost me much, and not worth the 80 cents a gallon we pay for premium here. My LR3 though, that was a different tale. Feed it rec fuel and it was beast time.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I expected that myself for the resons you stated, but rec fuel didn't give me any boost when I tried it. I also found that premium doesn't boost me much, and not worth the 80 cents a gallon we pay for premium here. My LR3 though, that was a different tale. Feed it rec fuel and it was beast time.
Same experience here. My LR3 loved the grain-free diet and mpg did not suffer. But on our first cross country (well, from PA to CO and back) a tank of alcohol free mid trip dropped observed mpg from 18 to 16. Went back to 10% 91 (west of Ol Man River they can't count above 91 for any premium fuel, some places 88 isvlabeled premium and 86 iscregular) and mpg and power measured by my big right toe (lol) went back up.

Bucky performs his best on North American sourced and refined Top Tier 93. And perform he does. 20.8 mpg overall 0-60 in sport mode even faster than wife's X4.

Yes, eventually I may add the Ford Performance tune and a free flowing exhaust but quite happy spending 20-40 cents more per gallon than 87 regular for the additional response. Our vehicles adjust to the difference in octane much faster and with greater noticed results than cars with only knock sensors dialing back timing.

But they are NOT FlexFuel capable. Anything above 10% alky is bad in these. Found a Sinclair station in Nebraska that had 5 different fuels from 15-85% and nothing less so I left there and crossed the highway for something compatible and the wife gave me "the look"

Most importent thing to remember for small engines is avoid alcohol. The rubber components are not always resistant and alcohol removes water from gas (Dri-Gas is isopropyl alcohol) and as that 10% sits in a small tank it separates the water and the gas floats. Small carburetors pull fuel from bottom of the bowl and the water won't ignite, hence why you have trouble starting up your lawn mowers in the spring.

Sorry for the long post but if you are still with me, this from my years selling and servicing, Kohler engines require 89 octane or higher and this is from Kohler. Use 87 and your Cub Cadet will backfire and run-on when you turn the key to off. ( experienced it with the fuel change curing issue with very next tank
Sponsored