First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Browsing over the threads related to upgrading the 8" screen to the 12", I saw that some owners of Broncos with the 8" screen already have navigation installed.
If this is possible, I assume some hardware will need to be added like an antenna.
Has anyone programmed NAV to the base screen?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe you’d just have to swap out the APIM and possibly the TCM.

BUT, the biggest issue is Connected Navigation is a subscription service. So if your VIN number isn’t coded to have included Connected Navigation in Ford’s database, there probably is no way for you to actually sign up and have it function.

Markco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Browsing over the threads related to upgrading the 8" screen to the 12", I saw that some owners of Broncos with the 8" screen already have navigation installed.
If this is possible, I assume some hardware will need to be added like an antenna.
Has anyone programmed NAV to the base screen?
I have a BD 8” screen it has navigation but i use Waze. Does the base model not have Nav? If so just use applecarplay or android with waze.

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

• Sad
Reactions: 0ne

Sponsored
OP
OP
JBlanco

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a BD 8” screen it has navigation but i use Waze. Does the base model not have Nav? If so just use applecarplay or android with waze.
My base model doesn't have NAV. I'm fully aware of all the other options, my question is improving the OEM experience and a backup to the online options. Thanks.

OP
OP
JBlanco

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP
OP
JBlanco

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I believe you’d just have to swap out the APIM and possibly the TCM.

BUT, the biggest issue is Connected Navigation is a subscription service. So if your VIN number isn’t coded to have included Connected Navigation in Ford’s database, there probably is no way for you to actually sign up and have it function.
So, what happens when you don't pay the subscription after the "free trial" I assume comes with the vehicle? Do you lose all NAV functions or an offline maps remains in the vehicle?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, what happens when you don't pay the subscription after the "free trial" I assume comes with the vehicle? Do you lose all NAV functions or an offline maps remains in the vehicle?
With Connected Navigation the map & GPS still works, but you lose all navigation, weather, traffic, map updates, etc.

If you get Connected Built-In Navigation (now unavailable, but previously available with the Lux package), you lose map updates, weather, & traffic... but the basic A-to-B navigation still works. I would assume that the company that is selling that 12" Sync upgrade kit @Sean6365 linked to is probably using the Built-In Navigation system.... but don't know for sure.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
My base model doesn't have NAV. I'm fully aware of all the other options, my question is improving the OEM experience and a backup to the online options. Thanks.
I use carplay, my cell phone and google maps.
It interfaces with the screen, all NAV functions work great.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To each their own. I never understood why people used the in-car nav that required a subscription to stay updated and generally had fewer features and updates than the free app versions through Apple/Google and are impossible to upgrade without buying an entire new car.

I guess you don't need your phone with you - so for those that aren't permanently attached to their phones I could see a use case... that just isn't me.

I don't ever use anything on Sync other than to change settings - it stays on CarPlay full time for everything in my Bronco. Even on my older F150 without CarPlay, it just sat on Bluetooth all the time connected to the phone.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To each their own. I never understood why people used the in-car nav that required a subscription to stay updated and generally had fewer features and updates than the free app versions through Apple/Google and are impossible to upgrade without buying an entire new car.

I guess you don't need your phone with you - so for those that aren't permanently attached to their phones I could see a use case... that just isn't me.

I don't ever use anything on Sync other than to change settings - it stays on CarPlay full time for everything in my Bronco. Even on my older F150 without CarPlay, it just sat on Bluetooth all the time connected to the phone.
I'm one who optioned the Built-In Navigation for both my Broncos (Black Diamond MID & OBX High). It works when not in cellular service range. Some have countered that if they plan ahead, they can download the Google Maps so their navigation via Carplay/AA will still work. There is no way that I'm planning ahead and downloading maps.

Also, the Ford's Nav is wild in that you have the ability to include 4x4 roads. I tried it making my way from RRG to GSMNP. I was on half-width blazed trails while hearing dueling banjos in the distance. It was an experience that lends to my Bronco story. You can't get that level of experience with Carplay/AA.

And one other instance is that Google Maps isn't the end all. I've been taken on some round-about tours of the south with Google Maps when Ford's nav is smart enough to know that I just want to go south.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can't get that level of experience with Carplay/AA.
I mean, you have your preference, and that's fine. You can point to an instance where Ford Nav was "Smarter" than Google Maps, and I can point to at least half a dozen other alternatives that are at times smarter than Google as well that all work integrated with CP/AA.

You can certainly get off road support with OnX, Gaia, Bronco Trails, or any of half a dozen other trail apps - that do work with CarPlay/AA integration. And as far as offline maps - if you would rather pay for Ford to offline maps for you, that's your preference as well.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well for me, I use my ford pass points that I acquire from routine maintenance to have Nav and Alexa in mine. The sound quality from the Alexa is great.
Sponsored