Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah this is not the case. Several people who had their 2.7s replaced have already had the 2nd engine need replacement as well, right here on these forums.

There is no known “original bad valve batch.” That was a rumor/theory that has mostly been disproven (and certainly never been confirmed) now that failure distribution has occurred over a much wider range of build dates and engine build dates.
This isn't a "rumor" This is the newsletter from the Lima Engine assembly plant acknowledging a valve issue...
Ford Bronco After 40 days, my Bronco is back home after new 2.7 engine replacement (for dropped valve)! 1643803571157
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This isn't a "rumor" This is the newsletter from the Lima Engine assembly plant acknowledging a valve issue...
Ford Bronco After 40 days, my Bronco is back home after new 2.7 engine replacement (for dropped valve)! 1643803571157
If I am reading that correctly, all 2.7's prior to the change are significantly higher risk of failure. If it required a "more robust design and material changes" that to me suggests that the valve stem was too thin and the material not strong enough to survive typical use. The "negatively impacted external quality indicators" would likely include failed motors!

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I sold my 2015 STi to my friend back in May prior to getting my Bronco in July. The Subaru only had about 60k miles. oil changed every 5k full synthetic, plugs at 60k, full PPI at time of transfer. He enjoyed it until October when ringland failure reared it ugly head. Fortunately I had not modified in any way for fear of voiding the extended warranty up to 100k after the Subaru class action settlement. He received a new short block and in less then 30 days was once again enjoying that suby rumble.

Chances of Ford owning up like Subaru and giving us an extended warranty?

I know I didn't follow my own signature about first year vehicles. (see below)

Last edited:

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I am reading that correctly, all 2.7's prior to the change are significantly higher risk of failure. If it required a "more robust design and material changes" that to me suggests that the valve stem was too thin and the material not strong enough to survive typical use. The "negatively impacted external quality indicators" would likely include failed motors!
Yeah that's kind of the exact same impression I get from that!

Slosh1

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Update:
several folks have contacted me to show pics of the new engine. Adding them below. (She is still running great too!)

It took 40 days but my Bronco is back home!

On 12/23, the engine died and it needed to be replaced (read original thread).

Today, 01/31, I got her back! I've only driven about 30 miles today, all seems good so far. I will be taking her to my local OHV Park tomorrow to giver her a proper shakedown!

bronco new engine 1.jpeg

bronco new engine 2.jpeg
When did they order the new engin

Could you post a timeline? My bronco has been sitting since 12/31/21 without diagnosis. Wondering how long it took to get a replacement engine

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

When did they order the new engin

Could you post a timeline? My bronco has been sitting since 12/31/21 without diagnosis. Wondering how long it took to get a replacement engine
@Ford Motor Company please help this person's dealer get off their butt and look at this Bronco.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I sold my 2015 STi to my friend back in May prior to getting my Bronco in July. The Subaru only had about 60k miles. oil changed every 5k full synthetic, plugs at 60k, full PPI at time of transfer. He enjoyed it until October when ringland failure reared it ugly head. Fortunately I had not modified in any way for fear of voiding the extended warranty up to 100k after the Subaru class action settlement. He received a new short block and in less then 30 days was once again enjoying that suby rumble.

Chances of Ford owning up like Subaru and giving us an extended warranty?

I know I didn't follow my own signature about first year vehicles. (see below)
Ford does do this. We had one of those amazing Ford Focus with the DCT trans that was not mechanically fixable. At the end we ended up with a 130,000 extended warranty from Ford. I finally got Ford to warranty replace it in 2020 with 120,000 miles on it, then the trans control module died and got that replaced before 130k hit. We still have the car just going to drive it into the ground as it gets 40 mpg. I have a new Scuby and it struggles to get 30 mpg but thats AWD for you.

Bike007b

Black Diamond
First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update:
several folks have contacted me to show pics of the new engine. Adding them below. (She is still running great too!)

It took 40 days but my Bronco is back home!

On 12/23, the engine died and it needed to be replaced (read original thread).

Today, 01/31, I got her back! I've only driven about 30 miles today, all seems good so far. I will be taking her to my local OHV Park tomorrow to giver her a proper shakedown!

Bike007b

Black Diamond
First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad you are back on the road! Did Fird give you a loaner?

Sponsored

ProudestMonkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any sense of when the supplier issue was resolved? When was the newsletter distributed?

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any sense of when the supplier issue was resolved? When was the newsletter distributed?
Here is a link to the website where I found it.
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage...ive/2022/1/state-of-the-plant-newsletter.html

It looks like it is just called the "2021 newsletter" I tried sending two emails to the plant manager and never got a response (no surprise). One other thing I noticed glancing over it this time was that they had cancellation of 75 production days due to parts supplier shortages.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2.7 is very cluttered or let's say bisie under the hood . It would be a nitemare getting to certain items for a fix .
The 2.3 has gobbs of space on each side .
Congratulations on your new motor ,I guess it's updated now with no worries .

ProudestMonkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice sleuthing. I see a date of 1/7/2022 on the page, so that's likely when the newsletter was distributed. Unfortunately it doesn't give us a clue about when the problem was resolved.

Still, this may be as close as we ever get to official confirmation of an issue with valve quality in the 2.7 and its subsequent resolution.

Here is a link to the website where I found it.
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage...ive/2022/1/state-of-the-plant-newsletter.html

It looks like it is just called the "2021 newsletter" I tried sending two emails to the plant manager and never got a response (no surprise). One other thing I noticed glancing over it this time was that they had cancellation of 75 production days due to parts supplier shortages.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah this is not the case. Several people who had their 2.7s replaced have already had the 2nd engine need replacement as well, right here on these forums.

There is no known “original bad valve batch.” That was a rumor/theory that has mostly been disproven (and certainly never been confirmed) now that failure distribution has occurred over a much wider range of build dates and engine build dates.
Yikes! This could be one of those problems where some other fail is blowing perfectly good engines. That'll be hard/interesting/agonizing to figure out.
Sponsored