steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Of course! I think it was a different thread that this was discussed more.

Measurements for Fox, King, ADS are taken from mounting surface to mounting surface. So for these shocks, it would be from the top of the top hat to either center of lower shock bolt or bottom of bar pin.
OEM-coilover-shock-length-diagram-687x1030.jpg
Thanks! I was being lazy and didn't want to search back somewhere where I thought I read how someone measured.
Plus, the picture is gold and will help many reading this thread.

How this effects Icon measurements vs the others:
Icon stated compressed and extended length is understated compared to the other measurements. In particular (IMO the critical measurement for longevity) the front extended length in comparison to the others is longer, but not know by how much.

I.e., someone mentioned King causes CV bind at max extended length, reported as 24.6". Icon's extended length measurement of 24.53" will be longer when measured the same way as the Kings.
Perhaps I will try to figure out the length of the center of the top eyelet to the top of the tophat to get closer comparison on this data point.

This has no effect on the simple travel calculation, where Icon appears to have squeezed out the maximum.

My statement above for Icon jumping back to #1 position for me has to do with them providing the most travel without extending the control arms and offering electronic shock dampening.
Possible solutions for CV bind could be a limit strap, small diff drop spacer, aftermarket axles, or aftermarket axles and Ultimate dana 44 FDU.

From everything I've read (and experienced) all the coilover sets have some downsides. Icon has plenty from squeaky shocks to routing the rear reservoir along the lower control arm. For me, electronic shocks are #1 criteria and that limits the field quite a bit, even with SDi universal.

I reached out to SDi and Shock Surplus and they both recommended King with their universal kit. Icon offers 2" more rear travel than King. That leaves a lot of room to experiment with a rear sway bar to see the effects of front travel and ultimately off road stability.

I've been thinking about the suspension on the Bronco for years now. It's about time I made the decision, which means I can't wait on Ford Performance any longer to offer the severe duty steering rack and will have to do the HOSS 3.0 swap myself, or find the closest 74Weld installer. But that's a different thread...
Sponsored

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sasquatch 4 Door, Jeep JLUR, Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks! I was being lazy and didn't want to search back somewhere where I thought I read how someone measured.
Plus, the picture is gold and will help many reading this thread.

How this effects Icon measurements vs the others:
Icon stated compressed and extended length is understated compared to the other measurements. In particular (IMO the critical measurement for longevity) the front extended length in comparison to the others is longer, but not know by how much.

I.e., someone mentioned King causes CV bind at max extended length, reported as 24.6". Icon's extended length measurement of 24.53" will be longer when measured the same way as the Kings.
Perhaps I will try to figure out the length of the center of the top eyelet to the top of the tophat to get closer comparison on this data point.

This has no effect on the simple travel calculation, where Icon appears to have squeezed out the maximum.

My statement above for Icon jumping back to #1 position for me has to do with them providing the most travel without extending the control arms and offering electronic shock dampening.
Possible solutions for CV bind could be a limit strap, small diff drop spacer, aftermarket axles, or aftermarket axles and Ultimate dana 44 FDU.

From everything I've read (and experienced) all the coilover sets have some downsides. Icon has plenty from squeaky shocks to routing the rear reservoir along the lower control arm. For me, electronic shocks are #1 criteria and that limits the field quite a bit, even with SDi universal.

I reached out to SDi and Shock Surplus and they both recommended King with their universal kit. Icon offers 2" more rear travel than King. That leaves a lot of room to experiment with a rear sway bar to see the effects of front travel and ultimately off road stability.

I've been thinking about the suspension on the Bronco for years now. It's about time I made the decision, which means I can't wait on Ford Performance any longer to offer the severe duty steering rack and will have to do the HOSS 3.0 swap myself, or find the closest 74Weld installer. But that's a different thread...
No problem, I will eventually add a Bronco Specific diagram to help with the bar pin set. I've got several tech articles I'm working on for our site.

We mentioned the CV axle binding issue. We had a few different Broncos in for R&D to confirm. We offer internal spacers for the Kings for $6. We are opening up the shocks anyway for our tuning, so spacers are simple enough to add and one less thing for our customers to deal with. One of the Broncos we had here, had aftermarket Spicer axles, but still would bind. I'm not aware of other options that allow for more travel. Also confirmed with RCV.

What has you sold on electronic shocks?

Hey 74weld is our neighbor, you can get bitchin' shocks from us and portals from them! ;)

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No problem, I will eventually add a Bronco Specific diagram to help with the bar pin set. I've got several tech articles I'm working on for our site.

We mentioned the CV axle binding issue. We had a few different Broncos in for R&D to confirm. We offer internal spacers for the Kings for $6. We are opening up the shocks anyway for our tuning, so spacers are simple enough to add and one less thing for our customers to deal with. One of the Broncos we had here, had aftermarket Spicer axles, but still would bind. I'm not aware of other options that allow for more travel. Also confirmed with RCV.

What has you sold on electronic shocks?

Hey 74weld is our neighbor, you can get bitchin' shocks from us and portals from them! ;)
The same thing that sold me on the Badlands sway bar disconnect. I'm not getting out of my vehicle to change configuration and I enjoy driving fast on the trails, on the highway, and on the curvy back-country roads.
Adjusting the handling characteristics to suit my mood while driving sounds perfect to me. It is one of the features of Raptors I'd like to incorporate in my build.

Portals are on my radar if I feel like the extra width doesn't deteriorate the overall ownership. The Bronco is already a wide beast for North East USA.
The Raptor should have come with portals. It doesn't gain enough ground clearance for increase in width. If it had, I'd buy a Raptor. Since it doesn't, I want to build my version of the "Raptor" with portals.

I wish I could try out all the options back-to-back. Until then, I'll have to pick 1 "blindly".

I was also hoping someone else would figure out how easy or hard it is to retrofit the Raptor paddle shifters and exhaust modes by now. :(
I have a pretty good idea of the build I want, but no time or space to play with the available options or engineer my own, so I'm "stuck" relying on others' kits that come closest to what I think I want.
So, it's time to start installing some parts, see what I like and don't. Hopefully I don't have to go through too many $9k suspensions and $7k front drive trains.

It's a shame the Spicer Xtreme axles weren't any better. :(

I decided to take a look at Icon install instructions. It looks like the eyelet is above the top hat. This must be one of the ways they optimized for travel.
Comparing extended length is a bit difficult, but if other shocks mount the tophat below the tower mount, then judging by these pics, Icon extended length (eyelet to eyelet) would be overstated, not understated, compared to the rest.

Ford Bronco after market coil overs 1686008360586

Ford Bronco after market coil overs 1686008404816

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s good news for the icons. They might get in just under max extension for CV bind. I assume stage 3s to 8s all are the same lengths and travel? Just curious how icon gets those travel numbers? Anyone know how the internals are different?

@AccuTune Offroad when you say internal spacers are you just limiting extension travel within the shocks? Curious how that is done?

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The same thing that sold me on the Badlands sway bar disconnect. I'm not getting out of my vehicle to change configuration and I enjoy driving fast on the trails, on the highway, and on the curvy back-country roads.
Adjusting the handling characteristics to suit my mood while driving sounds perfect to me. It is one of the features of Raptors I'd like to incorporate in my build.
Gotcha. Have you driven a vehicle with electronic shocks? Or have you driven a vehicle with tuned shocks?

I wouldn't get too caught up in the icon top hat bolt location on those Icons. Kings are similar and they are both built with a "cap over" style top cap. This basically means that top part of the shock with eyelet (aluminum anodized piece) is threaded onto the shock body. This can hurt shock length numbers. Fox for example, has a one piece aluminum body and the bolt mounting the top hat is below the mounting surface. I wont go too much deeper into explaining that, as it will be part of a new tech article on our website.

@87-Z28 yes thats correct.

Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Gotcha. I guess the most unbiased distance for any IFS would be frame location where shock mounts to LCA location of shock mount. Since that drives the CV angle at the wheel due to motion ratio. There are infinite number of mounting fixtures that can be made that may alter this dimension. Much like a spacer lift.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gotcha. Have you driven a vehicle with electronic shocks? Or have you driven a vehicle with tuned shocks?

I wouldn't get too caught up in the icon top hat bolt location on those Icons. Kings are similar and they are both built with a "cap over" style top cap. This basically means that top part of the shock with eyelet (aluminum anodized piece) is threaded onto the shock body. This can hurt shock length numbers. Fox for example, has a one piece aluminum body and the bolt mounting the top hat is below the mounting surface. I wont go too much deeper into explaining that, as it will be part of a new tech article on our website.

@87-Z28 yes thats correct.
No first hand experience with the suspensions I’m looking at.
Closest is a 1990 Corvette with FX3 adjustable Bilsteins. I sent them off to Bilstein for rebuilding and revalving. Some corvette forum member keyed me in to an “amateur race” (for lack of a better term) spec Bilstein had on file.

Worked great on the street and at Watkins Glen track weekend with my homemade lowering blocks, full poly bushings, and max camber.

Ford Bronco after market coil overs 1686088720878

I looked at the King front shocks installation and the eyelet doesn’t protrude through the top hat.
The rears appear to. So I think my original thought that the effective extended length would be overstated on the Icons vs the King measurements.

Ford Bronco after market coil overs 1686089093814

Ford Bronco after market coil overs 1686089256261

http://www.kingshocks.com/wp-conten...020-2021-Ford-Bronco-2.5-Front-Coilover-1.pdf

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I looked at the King front shocks installation and the eyelet doesn’t protrude through the top hat.
The rears appear to. So I think my original thought that the effective extended length would be overstated on the Icons vs the King measurements.

1686089093814.png

1686089256261.png

http://www.kingshocks.com/wp-conten...020-2021-Ford-Bronco-2.5-Front-Coilover-1.pdf
So funny story, those are not the final design from King. (yes our photos are more accurate than Kings are ;) ) The front and rear top hat designs are very similar and the bolt that attaches the top hat is above the mounting surface. Image below is of a rear shock, but very similar to the front.

Ford Bronco after market coil overs IMG_5999

Ford Bronco after market coil overs KRS-25001-392A-393A

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So funny story, those are not the final design from King. (yes our photos are more accurate than Kings are ;) ) The front and rear top hat designs are very similar and the bolt that attaches the top hat is above the mounting surface. Image below is of a rear shock, but very similar to the front.

The joys of a new platform, lol.

It will be interesting to see the landscape in 3-5 years.

MyDogGoldie

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L BD 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Icon provided their measurements when they introduced their product. Link to their post and updated grid below.
I'm pretty much decided on Icon Stage 8 tubular kit now.

Coilover Shock Measurements eye-to-eye:​
  • Front: 24.53" extended; 17.60" compressed
    • Rear: 28.90" extended, 18.36" compressed

MakeF CompressedF ExtendedF TravelR CompressedR ExtendedR Travel
Sas Bilstein
17.0625​
23.3125​
6.2500​
18.6250​
26.1250​
7.5000​
ADS
18.0000​
24.6440​
6.6440​
17.7190​
27.7230​
10.0040​
King
18.5000​
24.6000​
6.1000​
18.5000​
27.0000​
8.5000​
Fox
18.7900​
24.2600​
5.4700​
19.2400​
27.2100​
7.9700​
Eibach 2.0
17.7700​
24.2000​
6.4300​
0.0000​
Icon
17.6000​
24.5300​
6.9300​
18.3600​
28.9000​
10.5400​
I just measured a set of ICON's at ~24.68"

This measurement was taken from mounting point to mounting point.

Ford Bronco after market coil overs icon length

icon front bottom.jpg

icon top length.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shifts And Grins Fab

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some more ADS testing on 37s. Let us know when we can help you. They flex amazing. They are even more impressive in the fast stuff. I'm confident no other kit compares which is why ADS is on our Bronco.
Ford Bronco after market coil overs IMG_5389
Ford Bronco after market coil overs IMG_5408

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This Information should be helpful to anyone adding spacers. Don't exceed a total length of 24.25" and you should be good to go without overdoing the droop.
Ford Bronco after market coil overs IMG_5408
Im a bit late here, but please correct me if I am wrong. This is purely looking at lengths.

The Badlands front shocks measure 23" extended. Adding a 1.5" spacer increases overall length to 24.5", which is similar to the other coilovers mentioned. So if the Badlands front shock compressed is 17.xx", adding 1.5" to that is 18.5ish. Rear extended is 26", plus 1.5" puts it at 27.5". Which again, is similar to some rear shock lengths.

Please chime in with some input!

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im a bit late here, but please correct me if I am wrong. This is purely looking at lengths.

The Badlands front shocks measure 23" extended. Adding a 1.5" spacer increases overall length to 24.5", which is similar to the other coilovers mentioned. So if the Badlands front shock compressed is 17.xx", adding 1.5" to that is 18.5ish. Rear extended is 26", plus 1.5" puts it at 27.5". Which again, is similar to some rear shock lengths.

Please chime in with some input!
I don’t have any spacers on hand to compare this with. However most of the time a 1.5” spacer/leveling kit equals 1.5” at the wheel and not 1.5” at the shock (typically shorter).

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t have any spacers on hand to compare this with. However most of the time a 1.5” spacer/leveling kit equals 1.5” at the wheel and not 1.5” at the shock (typically shorter).
I did measure the spacers when I got them, out of curiosity. They are 1.5" tall.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe eibach 2.0 fronts are 17.77" compressed and 24.2" extended but I haven't been able to find any data on the rears. A table like this to be able to compare will be awesome đź‘Ź
Resurrecting this thread...was anyone ever able to confirm the Eibach 2.0 rear compressed/extended dimensions?
Sponsored