Sponsored

Cfield90

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco/22 Escape/01 Softail/90 Bronco (former)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally tracked one down at a dealer clear across town. If the guy didn't have to walk across the entire lot to find them, I'd have gotten 2.

I checked it at around 1500 miles and just blew out a bunch of sand. This was after off-roading on 4 other occasions and another 3500 miles.

I'll be getting better mileage now, I bet!
Ford Bronco Air Filter Condition @ 5K Miles After Some Off-Roading... Check It 20220317_155544

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just look up flow test and dirt trapping online and you would never Ever use a K&N ever again. I use Napa Gold every online test has them flowing as well as k&n without all the dirt getting past.
This is one of many test.
https://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html
Ford Bronco Air Filter Condition @ 5K Miles After Some Off-Roading... Check It 20220317_155544

Take this for what it's worth, but a couple things to point out...

1) that research was done a decade ago. A lot of things have changed since then. Some for the better some for the worse.

2) When it comes to the really bad oil filters (like KnN), They actually state they use the oil ones. People don't use those anymore because of MAF. In addition the way the oil ones work is that they actually accumulate dirt and it becomes part of the filtration. Meaning a totally clean, and freshly oiled k nN Actually filters less than a dirty one. This is known and documented.

I'm not saying some of these filters are better than others, but there's always a balance between airflow and filtration. And apparently these engines need a lot of airflow so you may go super filtration, but then you're not able to get enough airflow.

Personally if anyone wants to make their filter last, putting a pre-filter foam, oiled or not) would most likely help the actual air filter last longer.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These broncos suck a lot of air. Check out my filter at 5kmiles

I replaced mine with a K&N filter as soon as they became available, (as I do with all my vehicles). Then clean and reapply the filter oil every 2000 to 2500 miles.
It breathes a lot easier than an OEM filter and is cleanable & reusable for the life of the vehicle.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I replaced mine with a K&N filter as soon as they became available, (as I do with all my vehicles). Then clean and reapply the filter oil every 2000 to 2500 miles.
It breathes a lot easier than an OEM filter and is cleanable & reusable for the life of the vehicle.
Turbos turn into self eating sand blasters when using K&N in dusty environments. Seen it several times including 2 trucks with 1st gen 3.5's.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Turbos turn into self eating sand blasters when using K&N in dusty environments. Seen it several times including 2 trucks with 1st gen 3.5's.
There are hundreds of articles and tests online about the value of K&N (and other performance Filters). For every one saying they are ā€œbadā€, ā€donā€™t filter wellā€, ā€œdestroy the MAF sensorā€, and the like, there are 10 more, often by reliable organizations, that state they are effective, useful, and provide better airflow. Yes, you do need to occasionally clean/oil it as opposed to disposing/replacing and OEM filter, but all the other negativity about them are opinionated nonsense With no factual evidence to support it that I have ever read about.

Personally, Iā€™ve been using K&N filters exclusively in every vehicle I have owned, including my current Bronco, Motorcycles, multiple turbo charged snowmobiles, multiple Turbo charged F150ā€™s, Turbo charged Explorer, multiple Jeeps, and even on my current Turbo charged jet boat. The Jeeps and F150ā€™s have been driven off road in dusty/dirty environments, everything else in pretty normal driving conditions. I have never, repeat never, experienced a problem, mechanical or otherwise, that was remotely associated with the air filtration. In fact, on all the turbo charged vehicles Iā€™ve owned, Iā€™ve never experienced a failure of the turbo itself, and only once had an issue with the turbo waste gate (on a snowmobile).

Donā€™t know what to tell you, but you (and others) can decide for yourself if you google something like ā€œdo K&N filters workā€ or ā€œwill K&N filters destroy my engineā€. For now, we can agree to disagree.

OP
OP

Oscargrouch323

Base
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ac-fab.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just ordered mine

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There are hundreds of articles and tests online about the value of K&N (and other performance Filters). For every one saying they are ā€œbadā€, ā€donā€™t filter wellā€, ā€œdestroy the MAF sensorā€, and the like, there are 10 more, often by reliable organizations, that state they are effective, useful, and provide better airflow. Yes, you do need to occasionally clean/oil it as opposed to disposing/replacing and OEM filter, but all the other negativity about them are opinionated nonsense With no factual evidence to support it that I have ever read about.

Personally, Iā€™ve been using K&N filters exclusively in every vehicle I have owned, including my current Bronco, Motorcycles, multiple turbo charged snowmobiles, multiple Turbo charged F150ā€™s, Turbo charged Explorer, multiple Jeeps, and even on my current Turbo charged jet boat. The Jeeps and F150ā€™s have been driven off road in dusty/dirty environments, everything else in pretty normal driving conditions. I have never, repeat never, experienced a problem, mechanical or otherwise, that was remotely associated with the air filtration. In fact, on all the turbo charged vehicles Iā€™ve owned, Iā€™ve never experienced a failure of the turbo itself, and only once had an issue with the turbo waste gate (on a snowmobile).

Donā€™t know what to tell you, but you (and others) can decide for yourself if you google something like ā€œdo K&N filters workā€ or ā€œwill K&N filters destroy my engineā€. For now, we can agree to disagree.
As an ASE Certified Master Mechanic, and a fleet manager in the West Texas oil fields, I've seen way too many. I also deal with this on 200+ HP superbikes and people thinking the stock filter is restrictive for street use because they saw it on the internet. My personal dyno result speak otherwise. I raced CMRA for a long time and built and maintained many racebikes.

Lets just think about this logically. If a motor is capable of 400CFM of air intake at full throttle, how can installing a "high flow" air filter help anywhere but 100% throttle opening? What percentage of time per month does your vehicle see 100%? <1% I suspect. Even on the racetrack, I have seen so many people say "I'm going wide open" only to see the data say otherwise or it was just a handful of seconds. Modern paper air filters are very well engineered and are perfectly capable of meeting the air requirements of the motor specs they were intended for. The first time you have a turbo hiccup and the dealer see's pitting on the compressor wheel or housing, you just handed them a get out of jail free card on the warranty. This includes wastegate motor replacement. The fact that you are quoting articles shows your lack of personal experience. Its also funny that you are running a K&N on a Jetboat? Uuum, why would you do this? I'll give you a bit to google an answer ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I too owned several jetboats as well as worked on many and never came across one running an air filter. See boats aren't engineered with air filters for many reasons. And to enlighten you even more, K&N's did have a horrible habit of causing bad MAF readings in the early days due to oil contamination from overoiling the filter. Manufacturers have since created better sensors and mostly fixed the issue. There's a reason stores sell mass airflow sensor cleaner after oil filters became a thing. I lived this, so don't tell me it didn't happen. Seeing a K&N outflow a stock filter on a flow bench setup is marketing as are the articles written by sponsors of the magazines writing them. I run K&N's on non turbo vehicles and a lot of people will have no issues running it on a turbo if they live in less dusty conditions. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen in other areas of the world. And PLEASE stop regurgitating everything you see on the internet as the truth.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As an ASE Certified Master Mechanic, and a fleet manager in the West Texas oil fields, I've seen way too many. I also deal with this on 200+ HP superbikes and people thinking the stock filter is restrictive for street use because they saw it on the internet. My personal dyno result speak otherwise. I raced CMRA for a long time and built and maintained many racebikes.

Lets just think about this logically. If a motor is capable of 400CFM of air intake at full throttle, how can installing a "high flow" air filter help anywhere but 100% throttle opening? What percentage of time per month does your vehicle see 100%? <1% I suspect. Even on the racetrack, I have seen so many people say "I'm going wide open" only to see the data say otherwise or it was just a handful of seconds. Modern paper air filters are very well engineered and are perfectly capable of meeting the air requirements of the motor specs they were intended for. The first time you have a turbo hiccup and the dealer see's pitting on the compressor wheel or housing, you just handed them a get out of jail free card on the warranty. This includes wastegate motor replacement. The fact that you are quoting articles shows your lack of personal experience. Its also funny that you are running a K&N on a Jetboat? Uuum, why would you do this? I'll give you a bit to google an answer ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I too owned several jetboats as well as worked on many and never came across one running an air filter. See boats aren't engineered with air filters for many reasons. And to enlighten you even more, K&N's did have a horrible habit of causing bad MAF readings in the early days due to oil contamination from overoiling the filter. Manufacturers have since created better sensors and mostly fixed the issue. There's a reason stores sell mass airflow sensor cleaner after oil filters became a thing. I lived this, so don't tell me it didn't happen. Seeing a K&N outflow a stock filter on a flow bench setup is marketing as are the articles written by sponsors of the magazines writing them. I run K&N's on non turbo vehicles and a lot of people will have no issues running it on a turbo if they live in less dusty conditions. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen in other areas of the world. And PLEASE stop regurgitating everything you see on the internet as the truth.
Why does everything need to be so fucking contentious on these forums?
You need to stop regurgitating your opinions as fact as well. I appreciate that you are an ASE certified master mechanic but that doesnā€™t mean your word is gospel either. ā€œCertifiedā€ implies a level of knowledge at a static point in time and generally in a specific field of discipline. It doesnā€™t bestow ā€all knowledge, all the time, in every aspect of mechanical engineeringā€.

Yes, I do read, and I do research products to see what the general consensus is. Try it, you might like it.

The answer to your question, ā€œwhy would I run a K&N filter on a jetboat? Well, Mr genius, it came from the manufacturer that way and it is their choice. Do the research yourself: Bombardier Rotax 4-Tech engines. If itā€™s good enough for them, Itā€™s good enough for me and I accept that the design engineers have a deeper insight into how things function than you or I.

Hereā€™s a question I would like to know the answer to: How is it that the Bronco6g forum happens to be blessed with a short list of geniuses like yourself who cannot consider the possibility that others experience or opinions might, just might, have some value or validity? All I did was reply to the original poster that I liked K&N filters and it solicits these kind of know it all, absolute responses for no other viewpoints. Sorry, but there are few absolutes and fewer geniuses and your post kind of proved that. Go away.

Keerplunk

Big Bend
First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKU, 2022 Cyber Orange 4Dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Dam Man! you racing Baja in your bronco!

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why does everything need to be so fucking contentious on these forums?
You need to stop regurgitating your opinions as fact as well. I appreciate that you are an ASE certified master mechanic but that doesnā€™t mean your word is gospel either. ā€œCertifiedā€ implies a level of knowledge at a static point in time and generally in a specific field of discipline. It doesnā€™t bestow ā€all knowledge, all the time, in every aspect of mechanical engineeringā€.

Yes, I do read, and I do research products to see what the general consensus is. Try it, you might like it.

The answer to your question, ā€œwhy would I run a K&N filter on a jetboat? Well, Mr genius, it came from the manufacturer that way and it is their choice. Do the research yourself: Bombardier Rotax 4-Tech engines. If itā€™s good enough for them, Itā€™s good enough for me and I accept that the design engineers have a deeper insight into how things function than you or I.

Hereā€™s a question I would like to know the answer to: How is it that the Bronco6g forum happens to be blessed with a short list of geniuses like yourself who cannot consider the possibility that others experience or opinions might, just might, have some value or validity? All I did was reply to the original poster that I liked K&N filters and it solicits these kind of know it all, absolute responses for no other viewpoints. Sorry, but there are few absolutes and fewer geniuses and your post kind of proved that. Go away.
Just to be clear, you called me out. I will absolutely stand by and defend my words when questioned. The Rotax's PWC's only have them to keep motors from injecting large objects. The dual motor SeaDoo's and Yamhas carry them over to the boats for convenience. In a marine application, you would be hard pressed to put your turbo in danger dusting it and therefore would not be in any danger of running the K&N. I only post opinions when my experiments or experience shows conclusive evidence. I gave an opinion to help others based on my experience and you pounced. There's nothing wrong with you sharing your experience. I have been wrong many many times in my life, but when you personally experience things like K&N's being the cause of compressor wheel or compressor housing damage, it can't be denied even if you haven't seen it in your applications. I usually don't pipe up on these technical conversations for this reason, but I felt like people should know others experiences and make their own decision.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has anyone installed one of the full K&N CAI yet?
Sponsored