Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's some tire recommendations if you want beefy looking, no particular order:

- BFG KO2
- Goodyear Territory A/T
- Mickey Thompson Baja Boss
- Kenda Klever
- Goodyear DuraTrac
- Falken WildPeak
- Toyo AT3
- Nitto Recon/Ridge/Trail Grappler
- General Grabber
- Maxxis Creepy Crawler (ha ha, just kidding)
- (Whatever I've missed.)

Now make a spreadsheet, add only the tire models that are in your size and SL or C load rated (D if you really like the tire), then put a column for the weight of each tire. Sort once you have that column filled in, lowest at top. If you can afford/like any of the tires in the top three, you should probably lean towards that tire.

Also, keep in mind if you do go actually bigger than what you have now (a 33" is not usually 33", it's usually 32.?), you'll need to realign and calibrate your speedometer. You can do the latter with the Ford Performance Tuner, which you'll probably also want if you're going heavier (for the small but noticeable extra oomph).
Sponsored

Last edited:

e34john

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e10, e30, e34
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is incredibly helpful! Thank you so much :)

do you think Falken wildpeaks A/T3w. 275/70/17 is a good option ?
I am running those in a 265. No lift. Quiet for on road and hasn't given me trouble off road. Not too heavy of a tire either. And mine is a daily driver too doesn't get on many trails but I saw a mud hole the other day and decided to take advantage.

20231113_162122_HDR.jpg

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Murfs Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco and 2022 Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a ā€˜23 OBX and replaced the stock tires with 285/65r18 Hercules Terra Trac T/G Max. They are made through the Cooper Tire Company and are sized as a 33x11.50. Iā€™ve been running them for a couple of months and like the way they feel plus they fill the wheel well up nicely.
Ford Bronco All terrain beefy tire recommendations? IMG_0369

Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In all seriousness though.. the SAS package really wouldn't be a bad way for you to get what you want... the whole 'retaining warranty' thing is HUGE imo.
If warranty is what OP is after, this plus a set of sas takeoffs will do the job.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-18000-B1

Don't see a reason to buy the rest of the sas hardware if she has no interest in off roading. Believe it or not most people are just buying these as convertible trucks and don't give a rip about rock crawling.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@userdude , I'm interested in your rationale for choosing ghe lightest tires. Typically, overall robustness is quite correlated with a tire weight. Of course I understand the rotational Inertial factor and that the heavier a tire is, the more it saps acceleration performance (and suspension as well to a lesser extent).

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Of course I understand the rotational Inertial factor and that the heavier a tire is, the more it saps acceleration performance (and suspension as well to a lesser extent).
That and they're not going to off road, they just want a nice looking muscular tire. I don't know what you mean by "robustness", unless you mean wear or tread life or something. I wasn't aware I had included any "non-robust" tires to consider. :whistle:

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Gotcha @userdude , I did not read every bit of the OP and missed that critical detail. It all makes sense.

Just FYI by robustness I meant toughness; resistance to damage at low pressure, runs well at high and low pressure, can take high loads during extreme maneuvers, etc.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ignore the gate keepers, you know your intended usage and the look you want.

If your only intent is to mall crawl (and there's nothing wrong with that) there is no need to spend 7k on Squatch no matter what the warranty! and resale! crowds say.

I will second the Cooper AT3's and used to recommend the Nitto G2 Terra Grapplers but they have been replaced by the Recons and seem to have better specs. Stay away from the Ridge or Trail Grapplers or any other MT's or MT/hybrid as those are probably going to be to aggressive and loud for what you are after and wont perform as good in the wet/snow. As far as size you are on track with the 275/70's which are equivalent to about a 33" tire while the Squatch comes with 315's or "35's"

And since you won't be off roading and seem to be budget conscious then a 1/2 - 1" spacer lift is all you need.

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ignore the gate keepers, you know your intended usage and the look you want.

I will second the Cooper AT3's and used to recommend the Nitto G2 Terra Grapplers but they have been replaced by the Recons and seem to have better specs. Stay away from the Ridge or Trail Grapplers or any other MT's or MT/hybrid as those are probably going to be to aggressive and loud for what you are after and wont perform
Iā€™ve had the Nitto Terra Grapplers on 2 vehicles (4wd Excursion 305 70 16ā€™s and currently Jeep Gladiator 305 70 17ā€™s and super pleased with their looks, performance, longevity, wet traction and quietness, and they were reasonably priced.

They donā€™t make them any more? They would have been my first choice for a mall crawler that sees a little bit of off road duty.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They donā€™t make them any more?
I had them on my JKU and am on my 2nd set for my F150. When I had to replace my truck tires last year the only place I could find them was on eBay. They may still make some sizes but seems like the Recons have officially replaced them.

Ford Bronco All terrain beefy tire recommendations? Screenshot_20231114-205858

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey guys!
I ordered a 2024 OBX non sas package. I have absolutely no intention of taking it off road, but I do love how the sas tires look. Iā€™ve seen on a few forums people take the rims from the OBX and add them to different tires? I really wanted to do that. I did upgrade my axle to a 4.2. So, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a tire that looks a little bigger but still rides as nice as possible for everyday driving. I have no idea what this means but on one of the forums someone added 275/70/18 KO2 on the stock rims. It looks really nice and they looked bigger than the tires provided. I was also going to possibly lift it a tiny bit even if it wasnā€™t necessary. I definitely donā€™t want tires that are too big either. So yeah any tire recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I donā€™t know anything about tires either so please use elemental terms (haha)!

thanks so much!
Looking to save money? Depending on where you live, there are people selling SAS takeoff tires (and sometimes rims) with low miles for a relative pittance. Just look in the marketplace forums for your region. At least in the CA and the southwest it seems like there is someone listing SAS takeoffs at least once every couple of weeks. Since the OBX stock rims are 18" you cannot buy just SAS takeoff tires, which are 17 inch, you need to buy both the tires and the rims.

The most general purpose A/T tires with reasonably mean look are the BFG KO2s and the Falken Wildpeaks AT3. If you want an even more badass look, try Nitto Terra Graplers, Mickey Tompsons or some such.

Seems that that OBX stock tires size is 255/70-18. A 275/70-18 is a hair over 33" and will look more aggressive, but not SAS aggressive. The SAS tire size is 315/70-17.

There should be plenty of options for you. If you decide to buy new just go into a Discount Tire or whatever your local reputable tire shop is and ask them for advice, since at the moment you don't know how to read a tire size.

And keep in mind that bad-ass looking tires
  1. Often handle much differently on asphalt, if you are not used to them you may find the ride very rough. This is, among other reasons, because their sidewalls tend to be stiff, the tires themselves are much thicker and heavier.
  2. The road noise can be notably higher, particularly on 35s
  3. Sometimes as they wear they become stiffer, exacerbating #1
  4. An already poor gas mileage is going to take another hit, possibly down to 16 mpg or so depending on the tire size you end up with
  5. A 35 inch tire weighs a lot more and will put some strain on the tranmission and a 2.3L engine. This may or may not manifest itself as mechanical problems down the road.

My advice is to rent a SAS Bronco for a weekend off Turo and see how you feel about the road noise and the handling before you plunk down hard earned cash on new rubber.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For what it's worth, I picked up a set of Milestar Patagonia's 285 70 17. No lift or offset and the don't rub full stop. I haven't taken them on the trail yet but I had read about them in a motortrend article about overlanding. So far so good though, not much road noise but the handling is a little stiffer... here's a link to the article...
I'm also running the Patagonia XT's. Mine are 275/80-17, looks great on the steelies. Maybe a little narrow for some of the other wheels.
I've ran them off road a good bit, mostly trails and a little mud, no rocks. I've been really happy with them. On road I think they havd slightly less traction than the stock Grabbers, a little squealing if I get on it will turning in 2wd. Other than that the road manners are fine.

20231110_123416.jpg

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP doesnā€™t need Sasquatch, stop trying to shame them into itā€¦. Smh.

285/70/17 is probably the most popular size tire in the mild AT category across 4x4s. That is a 33ā€ tire. If you keep the 18s just look at the tire size chart to find a 32.6x10.5 or 11 ish sized tire.

Firestone Destination AT2 is the best mild AT money can buy from tyrereviews.com. A legit site/ channel that does actual tire tests at tire testing facilities around the world.

The Firestone isnā€™t the most aggressive looking, so if that doesnā€™t do it for you, people swear by the Wildpeak ATW3s. Yokohama Geolanders look pretty aggressive, but ride excellent on road. The most comfortable AT tire.

The Sasquatch wheels are insanely heavy at 36 lbs, which kills mpg, braking, acceleration, steering feel etc.

My RTR wheels are 22 lbs.
Sponsored