Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been waiting for my Viair to fail for years. It’s not as fast as the ARB’s but it hasn’t let me down yet.
Sponsored

thd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1/LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been waiting for my Viair to fail for years. It’s not as fast as the ARB’s but it hasn’t let me down yet.
Which models of the VIAIR and ARB are you comparing and roughly how much slower is it?

sasquatchrox

Badlands
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Audi Allroad, Bronco-II (past)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just my 2-cents; most things in life seem to be a good->better->best flow ;-). So, sort of depends on your off-road use-case, frequency etc etc.

I like ARB brand of stuff, great engineering and quality, but you pay for it. VIAIR seems good but I don't have any experience with them.

On the Made-in-China low end is the very well rated Harbor Freight thingy. Watch YouTube, seems to compete well but again, it's all about your use-case strategy and pocketbook.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which models of the VIAIR and ARB are you comparing and roughly how much slower is it?
I believe I have the Viair 400P. It’s not fast but it works. Takes me approx 30 minutes to air up my 35’s. The ARB Twin is at least twice as fast. My buddy has a Jeep on 37’s and it’s crazy fast.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is a test of some low price air pumps.

The really cheep ones died under testing. But there are options.

I always air down, better ride and better grip, less sinking in sand and less likely to get a flat.
I have a 12v air compressor that is about 18 years old, not sure on the model but it was about 100$. I would not go off-roading with out an air compressor.
I have automatic tire deflators only 35$ from Amazon for the set of 4. Totally worth it.

Good stuff to look into before your bronco comes.

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We just got the viar 450. Haven’t used it yet but from the numbers it’s not going to be as fast as my old smitty built and Not near as fast as my co2. It should how ever air up 8 tires without stopping for cool down. We sometimes air up 2 vehicles. The smitty built would have to cool down after the 3rd. Looked at the arb twin but it’s pretty pricey, I am not hard mounting it, and some people that I know have had issues with it. It sounds like a sweet compressor. If I had no kids I would get it because money wouldn’t be an issue.

B7667E19-CB36-428D-BF84-E580867D4E0F.jpeg

B4FF28E0-608E-4411-8065-D300902D8661.jpeg

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
We just got the viar 450. Haven’t used it yet but from the numbers it’s not going to be as fast as my old smitty built and Not near as fast as my co2. It should how ever air up 8 tires without stopping for cool down.
When you test it out let us know how it goes. 100% duty cycle sounds good. There are so many 12v compressors and most make over the top claims so it is hard to compare with out buying and trying it your self.

Some you can set the target PSI and they stop on there own. But I think most of those are smaller ones.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I believe I have the Viair 400P. It’s not fast but it works. Takes me approx 30 minutes to air up my 35’s. The ARB Twin is at least twice as fast. My buddy has a Jeep on 37’s and it’s crazy fast.
from what starting PSI to what final PSI takes 30 min?

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When you test it out let us know how it goes. 100% duty cycle sounds good. There are so many 12v compressors and most make over the top claims so it is hard to compare with out buying and trying it your self.

Some you can set the target PSI and they stop on there own. But I think most of those are smaller ones.
we should be going out this weekend so I will get a real time on it.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have a VIAIR Works great and there’s room in the storage bag for a tire plug kit.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-400P-Automatic-Function-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000X9B32M

edit to correct spelling and add link
I use this exact one. It gets a workout when doing recoveries, usually doing 8-12 33” or bigger tires. Works quick, it’s quiet as well. I bought a different air chuck. As stated above, that’s where I keep my tire repair kit as well. Once I am done. It al goes in the bag even when warm. Bag holds up wel!

Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

from what starting PSI to what final PSI takes 30 min?
That’s pretty crazy, it takes about 5 to 7 minutes to fill my 33s from 8 to 30 psi. 30 minutes and I am done and back on the road home. I understand there is a significant volume difference between 33s and 37s, I guess I will see when I slap 37s on the Bronco.

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I watched 50+ videos and read many reviews. For as often as I will need it, I picked up a Viair 400P. It was on sale on Amazon at the time. For me, it struck the right balance between performance and price. I went with the portable one so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle easier.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Approx 17 to 38 or so.
(For all four tires)
Hopefully the Bronco will not need 38 psi going to a lower pressure can cut the time down by a lot.

My current suv is at 26 psi for the street going to 38 instead would up the time by 2x.

Pickups run higher pressure because the possibility of the bed being fully loaded.

I wonder if the preproduction Bronco's have the tire pressure stickers on the door. It would be interested to know what the factory recommend PSI is.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hopefully the Bronco will not need 38 psi going to a lower pressure can cut the time down by a lot.

My current suv is at 26 psi for the street going to 38 instead would up the time by 2x.

Pickups run higher pressure because the possibility of the bed being fully loaded.

I wonder if the preproduction Bronco's have the tire pressure stickers on the door. It would be interested to know what the factory recommend PSI is.
Agreed. I run heavy tires tons of armor and recently sold my GFC camper, so my truck is no lightweight. The specs call for 40+ but I run 36 to 38 for tarmac depending on the tire. I’m a bit of a tire nerd. I’m 100% Looking forward to having a smaller lighter more nimble 2D. The fact that I won’t be able to bring as much gear on adventures will be a good change. Operation simplify is in effect.
Sponsored