Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I put mine under the hood about a year ago and haven't had any issue with it. I put some struts on the hood so it opens and stays open without the bar holding it up. The compressor gets insanely hot and wouldn't want it in the back where it could potentially touch something or melt plastic.
The bracket I have was developed specifically at the request of a guy from Las Vegas who said they had been burning up compressors in the desert heat when mounted in the engine bay, and wanted to bring it inside the cargo area. That being said, I’m hoping the 2 +“ I have between my window and the compressor will be enough to prevent any heat damage
Sponsored

dahoneybadga

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4dr Badlands, 22 R1T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh, that's awesome. I'm in Utah and have definitely had a few times where I've opened up the engine bay and it's been super hot before even turning on the compressor. I have the factory soft top and the American Adventure Labs shelf in the rear so wonder if this would fit if I moved the compressor to face inwards rather than outwards towards the window.

OP
OP
Copperhorse73

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh, that's awesome. I'm in Utah and have definitely had a few times where I've opened up the engine bay and it's been super hot before even turning on the compressor. I have the factory soft top and the American Adventure Labs shelf in the rear so wonder if this would fit if I moved the compressor to face inwards rather than outwards towards the window.
I would think inwards wouldn’t be a problem

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its a cool product but in a real use cases not soo much given all the things you could have in that space on top of the access location. I am able to stuff a large portion of my recovery gear in that spot so I don't have to continually have it in a removable bin/case. I always have tow staps, shoft shacles, etc on board at al times.
I keep my hoses and most of my tire gear in the round bag (about 18-20 inches) that ThorsLightning provides. It wedges between the right rear rollover strut and the window, very stable.
Copperhorse73, when you get your hoses from Thors, spray a dab or two of WD40 inside the clamping sleeves of the chucks. I found them a little uncooperative until I did that.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will preface this by saying, this solution only works with hardtop or Bestop. Factory soft top frame would not allow this.

I wanted to mount this out of the way, but inside the vehicle. @Mountains2Metal makes a couple of pieces for mounting the compressor as well as the switch and chuck. I’ve typically seen the compressor mounted on the lower cargo molle panel, but after some measurements I determined that I’d have plenty of clearance (right around 2” to the window) if I put it on the outside of the upper roll bar molle panel. The space I used is dead space anyway, but easy to access by taking the window off. I still have to wire the main power harness, but I’m happy with the results so far.

IMG_3903.jpeg

IMG_3901.jpeg

IMG_3897.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg
Nice install. That location wouldn't work with my crew, since some of the family waits in the car during air-up. The noise would be deafening. But if thats not your issue, thats a nice use of space. Under hood works well for us. I know a member who mounted his under the floor pan, (exterior), and that works for him.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks to both of you for sharing. Literally talking about where to put the compressor last night. I didn't want it under the hood. Understanding that when i do put a compressor in - it will be my first rodeo. Look forward to the other ideas shared here or digging them up as i believe alternative locations have been shared before.
The ARB unit is designed to work under-hood, although you'd think it was too hot in there. Mine has been underhood for 18 months now, ARB Single, works great every time I'm on the beach. Struts make lifting hood easy. Wiring is easy there and the power supply is nearby. But each owner has to pick the location that works for them. I mounted mine DIY, but had 4WP store do the wiring. Nice work.

OP
OP
Copperhorse73

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I keep my hoses and most of my tire gear in the round bag (about 18-20 inches) that ThorsLightning provides. It wedges between the right rear rollover strut and the window, very stable.
Copperhorse73, when you get your hoses from Thors, spray a dab or two of WD40 inside the clamping sleeves of the chucks. I found them a little uncooperative until I did that.
Thanks for the advice, I will certainly do that if u say it helps. I have read the same about them being contrary at times.

Sorle

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Made this box to hold all the gear for the beach!
Ford Bronco Alternative ARB twin compressor mounting location:  upper roll bar molle panel IMG_4309

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that's how i did mine, but it's facing inside the storage compartment! (pic from mid-way through buildout)
Ford Bronco Alternative ARB twin compressor mounting location:  upper roll bar molle panel IMG_4309
How well is that bracket secured to the roll bar. I would hate to have that compressor flying towards the back of my head if I ended up in a collision. I really like that location and would like to do the same thing

Sponsored
OP
OP
Copperhorse73

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How well is that bracket secured to the roll bar. I would hate to have that compressor flying towards the back of my head if I ended up in a collision. I really like that location and would like to do the same thing
The bracket secures to the molle panel with 8 bolts. The molle panel is definitely NOT going anywhere. It’s 2 bolts up top and 2 into a bracket that mounts to the body. Doesn’t even wiggle

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The compressor on the ThorsLightning molle cage goes between the molle panel and the rear side window, freeing up more cargo space in the center.
@Peter Gosenya If you have an accident which jars that molle panel loose and sends it flying, you've got more serious problems to worry about!

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The compressor on the ThorsLightning molle cage goes between the molle panel and the rear side window, freeing up more cargo space in the center.
@Peter Gosenya If you have an accident which jars that molle panel loose and sends it flying, you've got more serious problems to worry about!
You’re probably right, what I could see in the picture looked like a couple #12 bolts that were screwed into plastic. That compressor weighs what, 15-20 pounds.
At 45 mph a head on collision would generate between 7700-10000 pound feet of energy in that compressor. What I’m asking, is that thing secured well enough that it won’t sheer those small screws that are holding that bracket.
The Thor lightning bracket utilizes the 1/2” or so hardware that is holding on the roof.
it would suck to have been able to survive the crash only to have your neck broke by something in the cab.
Sponsored