Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry I didn't post today. Our Bronco got a bit of an upgrade today, so we were busy with that. The ARB mount DID arrive today but since our Bronco wasn't on-site, I never got a chance to test fit it. So hopefully tomorrow I'll get some time to test fit it. I really need to get access to a 2.7L so I can see what we need to modify but for now the 2.3L is what our own truck is equipped with. So that's what I'm building the kit off of.
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Power Tanks are great and very useful because they are portable.

That said, if you have a hard mounted compressor in your Bronco, you'll never forget to bring it or forget to have it filled.

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have this Milwaukee cordless air compressor that I use to run trim guns. I figured I could strap it down to the tie down hooks in the back. I would imagine it will fill the tires back up faster than any of the onboard air compressors that I’ve seen.
https://www.toolup.com/Milwaukee-28...term=4582214722423666&utm_content=Ad group #1
I also have one of these that I mostly use to pressurize gas lines for inspections. It is much more compact. I wonder how well it would do.
https://www.toolbarn.com/products/m...-20_&msclkid=451f49ce6e2c106be44a2bc8f66ee5d6

I figured I would test them both out in the driveway before taking one or the other out on the trails, but has anyone tried using anything similar? I don’t see why either of them wouldn’t work. My only concern is the larger 2gal one bouncing around in the back. I’ve never used one of those ARB compressors or anything like them, but I doubt it could possibly have more output than that 2gal Milwaukee.

Sponsored

alexryer

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond 4-Dr Soft Manual
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone have experience with either of these.
Compressors are very slow and wear out or overheat. They suck. CO2 tank is awesome, you can air up much much much faster, run air tools (i.e. air ratchet, air drill). Only drawback is storage - have to mount the tank. Actually not the only drawback - hard to fill in Boston area. Every place does tank exchange (no thanks) but Igos Welding supply is awesome in Watertown, MA - they fill. https://www.igoswelding.com - they fill for cheap.

The bottom line is that CO2 tank is faster, but when you get low you are done. Compressor keeps on going. I'm thinking about getting a 5-lb spare to keep on board if I run out of air. You basically have to weigh the tank to know how much you have left. CO2 is equivalent of 5x of real air because the CO2 is liquid in the tank. I use it to fill up our stand-up paddle boards, Zodiac dinghy, etc. and it lasts a while until empty...

alexryer

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have this Milwaukee cordless air compressor that I use to run trim guns. I figured I could strap it down to the tie down hooks in the back. I would imagine it will fill the tires back up faster than any of the onboard air compressors that I’ve seen.
https://www.toolup.com/Milwaukee-2840-20-M18-FUEL-2-Gallon-Compact-Quiet-Compressor?msclkid=8c758124b0141bfd270ae3222856eb23&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Standard Shopping | Tier 3&utm_term=4582214722423666&utm_content=Ad group #1
I also have one of these that I mostly use to pressurize gas lines for inspections. It is much more compact. I wonder how well it would do.
https://www.toolbarn.com/products/milwaukee-2475-20?variant=40023283269829&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping(BSC)&utm_keyword=milwaukee-2475-20&utm_source=bing_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping(BSC)&utm_term=shopping&utm_content=Pswf1iL7_pcrid_11075488888_pkw__pmt__pdv_c_product_milwaukee-2475-20_&msclkid=451f49ce6e2c106be44a2bc8f66ee5d6

I figured I would test them both out in the driveway before taking one or the other out on the trails, but has anyone tried using anything similar? I don’t see why either of them wouldn’t work. My only concern is the larger 2gal one bouncing around in the back. I’ve never used one of those ARB compressors or anything like them, but I doubt it could possibly have more output than that 2gal Milwaukee.
I had some experience with compressors trying to air up my old Tahoe. They overheated before filling up all 4 tires (or even one flat tire). Plus they took a looooooong time... before quitting entirely. Granted, I had the cheapo big box store version of a compressor. There is a reason that ARB has dual compressors. I'm sure they work great. If you are going to get a compressor, don't skimp - get a good one like the ARB dual...

All I can say is that PowerTank is awesome - portable and versatile. I use it to top off my son's Explorer tires (which seems to leak air) as well as filling up SUP paddle boards etc. The tank literally has like 800 psi available all the time until completely spent (due to vapor pressure of the liquid CO2). You can air down and back up dozens of times.

Only drawback - don't run out. Fill up when it gets to 1/4 full. Or even better buy a 15 lb main tank and a 5 or 10 lb spare. You can swap out the regulator if you need to.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had some experience with compressors trying to air up my old Tahoe. They overheated before filling up all 4 tires (or even one flat tire). Plus they took a looooooong time... before quitting entirely. Granted, I had the cheapo big box store version of a compressor. There is a reason that ARB has dual compressors. I'm sure they work great. If you are going to get a compressor, don't skimp - get a good one like the ARB dual...

All I can say is that PowerTank is awesome - portable and versatile. I use it to top off my son's Explorer tires (which seems to leak air) as well as filling up SUP paddle boards etc. The tank literally has like 800 psi available all the time until completely spent (due to vapor pressure of the liquid CO2). You can air down and back up dozens of times.

Only drawback - don't run out. Fill up when it gets to 1/4 full. Or even better buy a 15 lb main tank and a 5 or 10 lb spare. You can swap out the regulator if you need to.
Any cheapo big store portable compressor will be junk. Quality of Viair & ARB compressors have provided me zero issues with overheating over the years. My goto is the ARB twin portable compressor since I swap or alternate tow/offroad vehicles almost every trip out. My viair has never let me down but I needed to start shaving more time off my fillups as they add up over the course of a weekend. My CO2 setup is strickly for my jeep since it mounts to the rear of my rollbar but kept in the garage when not wheeling. Mounting to the rollbar in the bronco isnt an option for me, neither is the truck, hence why it stays in the garage.

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here is the ARB twin compressor airing up a 37" tire under a Wrangler JL, it's comparable in size to the Bronco, so should give you a good idea time wise.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 things to consider regarding CO2 tanks:

1. The tanks are supposed to be re-certified every 5 years. If it doesn't meet the specs, you're buying another tank.

2. ALWAYS Secure them properly. Had a friend that was taking one to get refilled (wasn't completely empty) in his daily-driver, and it rolled loose inside the truck and dumped CO2 into the cabin. He was barely able to pulled over to the side of the road, with the windows open, before he blacked out because it happened that fast.

Sponsored

alexryer

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here is the ARB twin compressor airing up a 37" tire under a Wrangler JL, it's comparable in size to the Bronco, so should give you a good idea time wise.

PowerTank will air you up much faster than any air compressor. You can actually run air tools with CO2 too.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have used a engine driven AC compressor with tank since the ‘80s...best of all worlds! Don’t think it will an option on Bronco so looking at power tank...all the battery units just seem to have so small cfm ratings = slow...

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

PowerTank will air you up much faster than any air compressor. You can actually run air tools with CO2 too.

Yep, PowerTanks are fast. Especially if you install their Monster valves in your wheels.

You can run air tools with the bigger compressor too, though you'll want to add an air tank into the system.

The two best thing about the PowerTanks are the speed and the portability.

The two best things about a vehicle mounted air compressor: you don't run out of air and you don't accidentally leave it at home.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yep, PowerTanks are fast. Especially if you install their Monster valves in your wheels.

You can run air tools with the bigger compressor too, though you'll want to add an air tank into the system.

The two best thing about the PowerTanks are the speed and the portability.

The two best things about a vehicle mounted air compressor: you don't run out of air and you don't accidentally leave it at home.
We love ARB Compressors. Just go ask Sean Emerson :)

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Power tank folks. Where/how are you storing the bottle when on the road?
Sponsored