daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, we all want to keep our new Bronco's safe right? I just picked up my new Badlands and I want to keep it even safer!

My build has the overhead switches, and I expect that I will be using at least two of them for aftermarket stuff... so I'm thinking: what about all those other switches that aren't being used? I would think the overhead switches could also be used as a "kill switch" for the starting circuit. For instance, what if a couple (or a few) switches were wired into the Start circuit, in a way that required switch # 3 and #4 to always remain in the ON position, to complete the starting sequence?

Has anyone done anything like this?

Does anyone think this is just a crazy idea?

Does anyone have any experience as to how this could be done?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shamalama86

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No this sounds like a great idea. It would also get me a discount on my insurance for having a kill switch . I know my dad has a kill switch on his truck. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s lots of ppl on here that would like this idea and Iā€™m sure itā€™s not too hard. Hopefully some one on here can chime in how to make it possible.?

OP
OP
acetdeucy

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No this sounds like a great idea. It would also get me a discount on my insurance for having a kill switch . I know my dad has a kill switch on his truck. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s lots of ppl on here that would like this idea and Iā€™m sure itā€™s not too hard. Hopefully some one on here can chime in how to make it possible.?
I was wondering the same thing... I wonder if there is an insurance discount, for having a Kill Switch? Maybe it depends on your insurer?

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Someone else suggested this... it's somewhere in this forum about ideas on to to wire it, but I can't find it right now

Sponsored

Apple Blossom

Outer Banks
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, we all want to keep our new Bronco's safe right? I just picked up my new Badlands and I want to keep it even safer!

My build has the overhead switches, and I expect that I will be using at least two of them for aftermarket stuff... so I'm thinking: what about all those other switches that aren't being used? I would think the overhead switches could also be used as a "kill switch" for the starting circuit. For instance, what if a couple (or a few) switches were wired into the Start circuit, in a way that required switch # 3 and #4 to always remain in the ON position, to complete the starting sequence?

Has anyone done anything like this?

Does anyone think this is just a crazy idea?

Does anyone have any experience as to how this could be done?
I asked about this months ago. Its a GREAT idea. Am thinking of it myself. Also get some Faraday pouches or boxes for your keys. Then they can't get control from the ones in your house. They are cheap on Amazon. I have my keys by the door that i use to start my Edge in the winter and one hanging in my purse so my purse keys can go into it over night or while I am out somewhere . I am practicing for the arrival of my Bronco... lol

OP
OP
acetdeucy

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I asked about this months ago. Its a GREAT idea. Am thinking of it myself. Also get some Faraday pouches or boxes for your keys. Then they can't get control from the ones in your house. They are cheap on Amazon. I have my keys by the door that i use to start my Edge in the winter and one hanging in my purse so my purse keys can go into it over night or while I am out somewhere . I am practicing for the arrival of my Bronco... lol
Also... some great ideas!

OP
OP
acetdeucy

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If your Bronco is stolen, it's far more likely to me stolen by being put on a rollback or tow truck. The tech to clone key FOBs isn't cheap and range on most of the stuff that Law Enforcement is encountering is not far at all.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So what does the kill switch kill? All power from the battery or just a starting circuit? A battery disconnect will reset your vehicle every time you use it. Not the end of the world but not ideal. With all the computers on board, interrupting the starting circuit would be ideal but not sure how easy that would be.

Older vehicles I've had came with built in kill switches that were main battery disconnects (former military). The side benefit was that they kept batteries from running down. But that was coming from the time of carburetors and mechanical injection pumps.

the paws

Outer Banks
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you have 2 or 3 Switches available Iā€™d connect them to relays. One normalny open, one normalny closed wired in series so one switch would have to be on and the other off for both relays to complete the circuit. Then on switch 3, hook it up to a horn that plays gunshots. That way, if someone thinks they have figuręd out your system and press the wrong switch, oh boy, theyā€™ll be our there.! Saw that on Utube. Have fun.. Apple has a gizz to track your vehicle also. Great for big parking lots.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Those 5 amp switches just became more fun! Someone get in this so I can get a shop to replicate if. šŸ˜‚

Shamalama86

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was wondering the same thing... I wonder if there is an insurance discount, for having a Kill Switch? Maybe it depends on your insurer?
My Insurance gives discounts for immobilizer and that special breaking feature my outerbanks has. I donā€™t even know if itā€™s turned on havenā€™t noticed any of that tech actually work yet. I believe itā€™s on my LUX package .
Sponsored