Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AMB looks great. I thought I wanted the OBX in Carbonized Grey. Not a fan of the Roast interior so that leaves Navy Pier. Without any true pictures of the interior and even with the Interior Color Walk Through video by Bronco Nation... I think AMB is the only way to go with Navy Pier, other an one of the Reds, or their is a lot of contrast betw exterior and interior. Ford needs to let us see the interiors!
Sponsored

Kladiddle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Road King
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

How close is AMB to Chicago Bears blue? Can anybody that has seen it IRL care to comment if it is close enough to dress out with some orange accents to be able to pass muster as a fan boy vehicle?

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been AMB since Day 1, but I keep reading about "swirls" on dark cars, so I had to do a little investigating.
We are going AMB, but I generally *really* dislike dark colors due to the swirls. The last three cars we've had top-end PPF installed in various amounts (front clip on the F-150, front clip and some of the sides on the Mustang, total coverage on the Z06).

We will do the front clip and the full sides of the Bronco -- not because it will be a garage queen or we're afraid of trail pinstriping, but because I don't want to deal with the swirls. The self-healing PPF has worked very well on the dark Kona Blue on the Mustang.

Of course, it helps that I have a pretty effective swirl-minimizing wash routine. The most important things are not dragging dirt-embedded towels or sponges across the paint (especially in the later parts of the wash), and never using circular motion.

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are going AMB, but I generally *really* dislike dark colors due to the swirls. The last three cars we've had top-end PPF installed in various amounts (front clip on the F-150, front clip and some of the sides on the Mustang, total coverage on the Z06).

We will do the front clip and the full sides of the Bronco -- not because it will be a garage queen or we're afraid of trail pinstriping, but because I don't want to deal with the swirls. The self-healing PPF has worked very well on the dark Kona Blue on the Mustang.

Of course, it helps that I have a pretty effective swirl-minimizing wash routine. The most important things are not dragging dirt-embedded towels or sponges across the paint (especially in the later parts of the wash), and never using circular motion.
What PPF are you planning on getting? I'm looking at Xpel Ultimate Plus and I plan on power-washing the car myself and skipping car washes as I've never been impressed with the job they do.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The top Xpel is what we have. I would have also considered the top 3M film. Our (*very* good) installer leans toward the Xpel, so we went that way, without regret.

I also power wash, use the two-bucket method with grit grates, and multiple towel changes.

That said, for the first time ever for me, I've found a car wash that does an excellent job on the F-150 and Mustang, because we pay extra for light machine polish/buffing they do after the wash.

Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yep, I'm getting the Ford PPF with my build and adding the ceramic on top. Those articles I referenced say pretty much what you mentioned: Worst culprit of swirls is using dirty towels and sponges - and washing a warm car in direct sunlight. So I'm going to take preventive measures and then rely on touch free car washes for monthly washes, on cool days, and no towel-drying at all. If I ever do wash it myself, I'll get one of those grit-free buckets they have advertised on one of those sites, and use plenty of fresh sponges, towels - and water!

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, I'm getting the Ford PPF with my build and adding the ceramic on top. Those articles I referenced say pretty much what you mentioned: Worst culprit of swirls is using dirty towels and sponges - and washing a warm car in direct sunlight. So I'm going to take preventive measures and then rely on touch free car washes for monthly washes, on cool days, and no towel-drying at all. If I ever do wash it myself, I'll get one of those grit-free buckets they have advertised on one of those sites, and use plenty of fresh sponges, towels - and water!
look up the 3 bucket method. it helps keep grit off.

Reactions: sjp

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been AMB since Day 1, but I keep reading about "swirls" on dark cars, so I had to do a little investigating.

Apparently, you can avoid the swirls by washing your car the right way, and even if you mess it up, you can correct them with polishing. I'll probably get a ceramic coating early on so I don't have to worry about it so much, but it's good to know that the swirls aren't going to be as much of an issue as I thought. Also leaning toward touch-free car washes.

These two sites in particular seemed to have the highest "good information to ads" ratio:
Guide to Detailing: How to Deal with Swirl Marks. It's an affiliate site with links to products, but there aren't a bunch of popups.

Autoblog: Can automatic car washes damage your car? Few ads, no pop-ups.

I have never really taken an interest in washing my cars in the past - for me, it's always about function and where it can get me, never about appearances - so this is all new to me.
Be careful, paint can become an addiction and get really expensive and time intensive, lol. I might speak from experience.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Be careful, paint can become an addiction and get really expensive and time intensive, lol. I might speak from experience.
Hey, just 'cause we're talking about PPFs, and ceramic coatings, and three-bucket methods.

And touch-free washes, and spotlights in the driveway.

And mood lighting in the garage.

I'm not obsessed.

You're obsessed.

Dubsilk

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M240 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looked around and didn't see a thread for Antimatter Blue. So let's get one started. My original '73 was dark blue, so naturally I'm giving this color a serious look. Have not seen many photos of it yet, but the one Ford put on the Bronco homepage is pretty awesome. Looks like a 4-door WildTrak in Antimatter Blue. What does everyone think?

u725_fna_shot_039_49892_ext_front_3_4_johnson_valley_v12.tif.jpg
Is that AMB in the grill? How do I get that?

Sponsored

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

maximus3686

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TFL tests an Antimatter Blue F150

Tommy at TFL tests the power output of the new Powerboost F150. Get some good looks at the antimatter blue paint!
I can't wait to see rednecks in giant lifted Powerboost F150s giving Teslas emergency charges on the side of the road. Talk about unlikely bedfellows!