James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 FX4 Crew Cab Flame Blue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just wondering if it’s worth to use it? Anyone try traveling in this Mode?
Sponsored

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve used it on a few long trips (NY to VT, and NY to and from NC) with my two door. I had my roof platform and Thule roof box on for all of them so not true MPG but there was a ~2 MPG difference between eco and regular mode.

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Use it frequently, hard to say exactly how much better mpg i get. Would ballpark maybe 1. Seems to work well with cruise control

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Eco Mode changes the transmission shift points and the throttle response. When the vehicle is on the highway and at steady state….like 70 MPH, it should theoretically have no effect. In stop and go traffic it can make a difference with a conservative driver.

Sponsored

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use eco almost exclusively on my 4dr Black Diamond 2.3 AT, non sas. It seems to work tell for me as I drive back and forth between Richmond and Norfolk VA frequently, about a 90 mile journey. My lifetime mpg is at 20.9 over 11k mi. I am working toward 21. For reference I drive this like an SUV, not a sports car and while I do not hypermile, I am enjoying trying to get to that 21 mpg mark.

I also Turo the vehicle and notice that this probably has a lot to do with driving habit and inclines. I live in a very flat area but hills don't help at all. I track each renter with their own trip odometer and some drive easy in eco and get great mpg while others seem to only have a lead foot at red lights and get terrible return on a tank of gas.

I am for eco all the way. Keeps plenty of punch to pass people when needed and does well with cruise control.

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Eco Mode changes the transmission shift points and the throttle response. When the vehicle is on the highway and at steady state….like 70 MPH, it should theoretically have no effect. In stop and go traffic it can make a difference with a conservative driver.
In my particular case (driving 75 to 80 for long distances) the rpms settle a lot lower at cruise when in eco, so it's definitely in a higher gear. About 1800 in eco and around 2400 in normal, higher in sport.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my particular case (driving 75 to 80 for long distances) the rpms settle a lot lower at cruise when in eco, so it's definitely in a higher gear. About 1800 in eco and around 2400 in normal, higher in sport.
I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

OldGuardV6

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base 2015 Mustang 1995 Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use it all the time. I used to think there was no point since I have the MT, but you’ll start to notice that it changes the acceleration to maintain speed even if you’re in 6 all the time and really does work. I regularly get 24-25mpg even on short (150-200 mile) trips vs 23-24.

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use it all the time. I used to think there was no point since I have the MT, but you’ll start to notice that it changes the acceleration to maintain speed even if you’re in 6 all the time and really does work. I regularly get 24-25mpg even on short (150-200 mile) trips vs 23-24.
24! That's impressive. Looks like I have some work to do...

Sponsored

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This may sound weird, but i get better mileage in sport mode then eco.

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For standard driving, I'm in eco 100% of the time. I use slippery when it rains. And the off-road modes when appropriate. Eco ha plenty of power to pass on the freeways, etc... I do not punch it at lights etc... when driving around the bay area because you are probably going to whack someone...

Lazarus327

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a 2021 2.3 L auto 4-dr Outer Banks. And I run both the hard and soft tops depending on season. I hesitated to reply to this because A) I don't want to jinx myself and B) I run the risk of being called a lier! But on long road trips (over ~200 miles) I routinely get high 24s and on a recent trip from Newnan (SW of Atlanta) to Savannah I got 25.4 MPG (I do switch to Eco on road trips). My normal, day-to-day mixed highway & surface road mileage is a steady 22.3 to 22.6. For my day-to-day stuff I rarely switch to Eco, but I also very rarely have used Sport. I should also note that I use Premium grade gas all the time. Yes, it costs more but I think I'm reaping benefits on mileage and performance.

I do not typically hotrod around town, but I'm also not hesitant to put my foot in it when I need (or just want) to. And based on the typical comments about my driving from my wife when she's aboard I feel safe in saying I'm not just slow-poking around town!

So yea, I'd have to say that the Eco mode does provide sufficient benefit to me that it's worth using. I'm going to go back now and look at the links that MyATV provided above and I'll add to this if anything there jumps out at me.

EDIT

Ok, skimming thru MyATV's links I need to add a few notes to my post.
  1. I rarely take conscious, intentional action to conserve fuel (coasting, slow take offs, etc.) in my daily driving. But I've also backed off my hotrod days of yore as I've become more 'seasoned'.
  2. I use the adaptive cruise almost exclusively on road trips. And frankly, I use it often around town if for no other reason than to help moderate my 'get the hell outa my way' tendencies in slow moving traffic! Again, I definitely kick it on occasion to get around those unfamiliar with the accelerator, or those determined to use the passing lane as their own private cruising lane!
    • As a side note, no stop-and-go with the adaptive cruise!!?? What the hell were they thinking!? My wife's 2018 CX-9 has that!!
  3. As noted above, I typically don't use Eco in day-to-day driving due to the whole 'sucking-the-fun-out' noted by others.
  4. I see that I've gotten complacent about my data collection! So, for my next road trip I'll Use Normal mode in one direction & Eco in the other; and set ASS on for both (lord I hate that thing!). But I ain't gonna drop back to Regular without compelling empirical data!

Last edited:

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

from Newnan (SW of Atlanta) to Savannah I got 25.4 MPG
I believe it. It’s not a huge elevation change, but you were driving down hill the entire way. What did you get on the drive back?

Wind makes the biggest difference on highway for me. I can get low 20s on highway driving, but got under 15 for hours when driving west through South Dakota with high winds
Sponsored