Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is definitely a personal preference.

I don't subscribe to the "manly man" thing you mention. For me (also have ADHD), I prefer manual to remain in control and retain a higher level of trust in myself to shift better than rely on computer to decide what's best. Historically, manuals have been reliable throughout history. That doesn't seem to be the general consensus on here, but then again, forums are used by single serving tourists to talk about their issue and never post again. Manuals are also more fun to some, and some like to hold the fact that they drive a stick as a bragging right. Having the option is more of a luxury now. For example, my 2023 Integra cost the same as an automatic, there was no discount, and was found only on the highest trim. Therefore making the manual an "upcharge" item. Why would that be? Because Honda/Acura knew that purists exist and would fork over the extra dough just to get a 6MT. To each their own, but having the option pulls in buyers of other brands that would never sit behind the wheel of an off-road automatic. It would be wise to always have the option if similar vehicles from other manufacturers offer them.
Running through the gears on any MT is not a macho or manly thing.

Driving a MT is a Zen thing.

A MT makes you attuned to your vehicle, your driving skills and focused on the road ahead.

Driving any MT makes a Driver THINK!

You become one with your Bronco, Jeep or Sports Car when without taking your eyes off the track, trail or road youā€™re hitting all your gears and shift points without watching your tach and speed. Just relying on sound and feel.

Driving with all Five of your Senses is invigorating to say the least.

Like I said, it can become very Zen
This stuff.

1.) It's way too easy for an ADHD brain to start thinking about something else when and if the driving is too passive. On long trips, I always volunteer for the scary mountain roads and the crazy big-city traffic because it is challenging and never boring. The MT adds a level of engagement that is missing in an AT. My only other option to make it exciting enough to stay engaged would be to drive too fast. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

2.) And, yes, definitely the Zen thing. The machine and I are developing a very personal relationship. I listen to her heart spinning to decide what she wants and she tries to figure out what I want. I have had lots of automatics and lots of manuals, and the manuals are the ones that feel more like trusty companions rather than just a mechanized box I sit in to and from work. šŸ˜
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is a 2 door manual, itā€™s what I wanted from the reveal and first day reservation. I couldnā€™t get a Mansquatch in 2021, and I didnā€™t want an auto, so the Badlands High package got me everything I wanted. The 2.3L has plenty of power when paired with the 4.7 gears and 34ā€ tires.

If I were doing hardcore rock crawling I might want the auto, the features in the ones at Off Rodeo were very nice on the trails.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with the auto 2.7l, last stick car I had (12' VW GLI, APR tuned) my wife couldn't drive it(well) and was pissy about it more than not, due to me taking her car to tow my toys and leave her mine.šŸ¤Ŗ so this time around.... auto it is, the 2 doors was already a šŸ‘ŗ face.

Sorry Hun- Broncos only come in 2D

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How many pages is the Grinding Chinese Transmission thread at now?
Well, if you exclude all the posts from the now banned @iblackrose and @bustedbronco (I think that was their handles) the thread is actually pretty manageable.

Thingfish

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Area 51 High pkg - no Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the m/t in my Bronco, it's a blast to drive. The only thing I don't like, and it's not Bronco's fault, is driving in stop and go traffic. That said, I don't mind it so much that I'd consider an A/T in the Bronco. It's just so much fun to drive and the turbo's make it that much more fun. It blow's my wifes Wrangler with m/t out of the water.
iā€™ve heard you can use the crawl gear in traffic and it wonā€™t stall, just ride the brake like an auto. Sadly donā€™t have an MT to test this, but might solve your issue.

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

iā€™ve heard you can use the crawl gear in traffic and it wonā€™t stall, just ride the brake like an auto. Sadly donā€™t have an MT to test this, but might solve your issue.
You can.

My kid dubbed it: "Chick-fil-A drive-thru gear."

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think that most manual transmission are found on 2 door Broncos but what percentage of two door owners choose manual?
Didn't read all of the other responses first...

I didn't get a choice on mine. If I wanted Sasquatch I had to order an automatic. After living with it for a year and a half, I think it's better off road with the automatic, even though I prefer to shift for myself in general.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, I've tried it with some success. Only problem is that crawl gear is literally a crawl and the traffic that I encounter is stop and go, so I'd be holding up some impatient folks if I committed to crawl....

Sponsored

Thingfish

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Area 51 High pkg - no Squatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I've tried it with some success. Only problem is that crawl gear is literally a crawl and the traffic that I encounter is stop and go, so I'd be holding up some impatient folks if I committed to crawl....
Yeah I suppose it applies best to the real creeping inch by inch slog traffic Iā€™d run into in Los Angeles commutes.

Maybe the secret is to leave it in crawl and just climb over all the cars in front. That way you keep getting ahead?

johntesi

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want a truly shocking look at what's out there, filter cars.com or autotrader by 2-door, Badlands, manual transmission. New or used, they're arguably harder to find than Ferraris!

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only thing that would be better than a manual, would be if we also had a manual transfer case. I'd even take old-school manually locking hubs

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only thing that would be better than a manual, would be if we also had a manual transfer case. I'd even take old-school manually locking hubs
The first time I put it in 4L, I hit that teeny tiny button and I could hear and feel the machine adjusting itself. Partly I thought it was cool, but it still felt WRONG. It shouldn't be that easy. šŸ˜˜

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual transfer case: Yes please.
Manual hubs: No thank you.
Manual locking hubs still get power from the diff, and if it's an open style you will still need an e-locker or ARB air. They do improve your gas mileage though.
Sponsored