Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have not read anywhere that they were/would be.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While nowhere as much as an incandescent , LED's will emit a decent amount of heat, especially ones as powerful as headlights.

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't know that was a thing.

In a Land Rover I had back in the day it had a heated windshield. Definitely helped with defrosting and melting heavy snow as it came down. The biggest drawback was if the sun was at the right (or wrong?) angle, you could see the wires and it was a tiny bit distracting.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't know that was a thing.
Same here. As others have said they should put out a fair amount of heat I would imagine.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same here. As others have said they should put out a fair amount of heat I would imagine.
The JW Speaker headlights (LED) on my Jeep actually don't throw enough head to melt snow. During some types of snow I have to clean them off. Some manufacturers offer two versions, one with heating elements and one without.

I haven't seen any OEM's with separate heating elements. I suspect what might be going on is that some manufactures allow them to run a little hotter, sacrificing efficiency/longevity, for better snow-melting performance. (My JW speakers are basically all metal heat sink on the rear of the lamp, which would normally be good design, but is probably contributing to them struggling to melt show away.)

motoarch

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
william
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
LEDs generally have what's call a heat sink so the bulb itself is cool to the touch. If you don't have a heat sink the bulb gets warm. It's less that it has a heating element and more that they divert the heat away from the bulb.

Traditional Halogen lamps on the other hand do not and that's why generate a lot of heat at the lens.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quick search on JL Wrangler Forums shows that the LED's from Jeep can have issues with the snow.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
in general, they do not put out enough heat and snow accumulates. nopt terrible if ti snowed last night, you can clean them, but when driving in snow its not good
The JW Speaker headlights (LED) on my Jeep actually don't throw enough head to melt snow. During some types of snow I have to clean them off. Some manufacturers offer two versions, one with heating elements and one without.

I haven't seen any OEM's with separate heating elements. I suspect what might be going on is that some manufactures allow them to run a little hotter, sacrificing efficiency/longevity, for better snow-melting performance. (My JW speakers are basically all metal heat sink on the rear of the lamp, which would normally be good design, but is probably contributing to them struggling to melt show away.)
Well being a southwest guy my whole life I would have never thought that an issue. I Iearned something new today!

Sponsored

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can’t tell if this thread is a joke or not.... I hope it is

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Might be time to move. It’s 50 in Houston today and it sucks! :)

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wrangler headlights are somewhat recessed so snow can accumulate on that off set space. The Bronco lights are not recessed. Hoping that would alleviate some of the issues.

pozi240

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4,2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
in general, they do not put out enough heat and snow accumulates. nopt terrible if ti snowed last night, you can clean them, but when driving in snow its not good
Well, we live in the "great white North" up here in Ontario, and I have several vehicles with OEM LED headlights (including our 2017 Explorer), and we have NEVER had a "snow or ice build up" issue through several very bad winter seasons. I can't speak to the Jeep crowd (and I'm sure, many of their LED setups are aftermarket crap as well), but, I always chuckle when I see these comments.
Do you think Ford would get Transport Canada (or US DOT) approval on their headlights if winter weather was even a remote issue? I think not.......
:)
Sponsored