First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PIckups
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am over 50 and live in a state that has snow half the year. I have never needed heated headlights, never even considered it. if it is so bad your headlights ice up, you won’t be able to drive anyway because your windshield and wipers will also be iced up.. Brush the snow off when you start out and you will be fine.
You could be 100, not sure what your age has to do with it. LED headlights have only been around what, maybe 15 years? And commonplace only more recently?

I own a snow removal company. To reduce the electrical load on my trucks, I converted each and every bulb to LED, including the headlights on the plows. The LEDs do not put out enough heat to keep the lens clear. I wound up switching the plow headlights back to sealed beam or H4 conversions. Not as bright, but at least I can see.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You could be 100, not sure what your age has to do with it. LED headlights have only been around what, maybe 15 years? And commonplace only more recently?

I own a snow removal company. To reduce the electrical load on my trucks, I converted each and every bulb to LED, including the headlights on the plows. The LEDs do not put out enough heat to keep the lens clear. I wound up switching the plow headlights back to sealed beam or H4 conversions. Not as bright, but at least I can see.

It's obvious he has no experience with them. Multiple companies make heated LED lenses for a reason, and I suspect most new designs incorporate some means to increase radiant heat within the assembly.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve had LED lights since 2011. Still see no reason for heated lights. I don’t plow, but plows have lights for a reason I guess....

ChrisKz

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Rover's had gone horribly wrong and only heated about 4 inches of the screen... but it heated those 4 inches very well lol
What? Something not working on a Land Rover? That never happens. In the end, I told the general manager of the dealership I bought mine from I hoped someone would steal my rover and set it on fire. After putting him in touch with my attorney I got them to buy it back.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I can’t tell if this thread is a joke or not.... I hope it is
Why would it be a joke? It can be a real problem with LEDs. They don't put out heat like a halogen or HID.

LED Light bars will ice up in snowy conditions. Partly due to the rim around the lens of most bars making it easier for snow to collect.

I've pulled over to clean snow build up off light bars on more than one occasion.

Its why some snow plows with led lights have a heating element in them.

Sponsored

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I switched my wrangler to LED headlights and during wet snow they can get covered in just a couple miles, especially if you're driving at low speeds (because it's snowing heavy).

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a thing?

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I resent anyone from the warmer climates who just says "don't drive if it's snowing bad". These folks should stay in their lane.
LOL just ignore them! I’ve grown up in Colorado, one doesn’t just, “not drive” because of snow. That’s like saying if you’re worried about the black Badlands seats in Florida being hot with the top off, simply don’t drive or don’t take the top off.

Sponsored

Mitragorz

First Edition
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PIckups
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve had LED lights since 2011. Still see no reason for heated lights. I don’t plow, but plows have lights for a reason I guess....
Correct, the same reason every other car and truck on the road has lights.

I don’t know what you’re trying to get at. Are you still trying to play the “it’s never happened to me, therefore it’s not an actual problem” card?

Plenty of people here have said that freezing LEDs is a problem, but you’re still on with the “well in my little bubble...”

“Shit guys, I wouldn’t even have thought that was a problem! I learned something” would probably be the better road to take, rather than trying to put people down and openly mocking the question.

But what do I know, I’m only 35 vs your “over 50”... whatever that’s worth ?‍♂

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correct, the same reason every other car and truck on the road has lights.

I don’t know what you’re trying to get at. Are you still trying to play the “it’s never happened to me, therefore it’s not an actual problem” card?

Plenty of people here have said that freezing LEDs is a problem, but you’re still on with the “well in my little bubble...”

“Shit guys, I wouldn’t even have thought that was a problem! I learned something” would probably be the better road to take, rather than trying to put people down and openly mocking the question.

But what do I know, I’m only 35 vs your “over 50”... whatever that’s worth ?‍♂
Just seems like you guys are looking for something to bitch about that isn’t really a problem for 99.9% of the population.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just seems like you guys are looking for something to bitch about that isn’t really a problem for 99.9% of the population.
Just guessing but I think more than .1% of North America experiences wintery conditions.

Also I didn't really see a lot of bitching? More like one person asked a question, got dismissed, then got backed up by several people saying yes it can be a problem.

Certainly less bitchy and more civil than some of the roof color and roof rails threads have been!

And this is one that could actually potentially pose a safety concern, unlike most of the other complaint threads.

It'll probably be fine. I haven't personally seen the LEDs on newer F series build ice (haven't spent much time in one) but it absolutely happens on light bars so it was a valid concern.

Amazing how many people complained that the seats weren't cooled cuz they live in a desert and their butt might get sweaty. But someone mentions a valid safety concern for Northern latitudes and is immediately dismissed.

Last edited:

Danager

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In Edmonton Alberta, we get some cold snowy conditions. I get your concerns. Neither my last F150 nor my current Edge with LEDs has the ability to melt snow that has collected on the lights. It has been an issue a couple times - mostly when on the highway during a snow.

Never had the issue with non-LED. Not a huge issue with LEDs.
Sponsored