First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L AT Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So far, so good with the 2.3. I have about 1500 miles on it so far. I usually keep it in Normal mode. It has more than enough pep when I have needed it. I’ve been averaging about 21 MPG (which is nearly the same as I was getting in my Bronco Sport Badlands with the 2.0).
My only gripe is more about the transmission. Sometimes in the 20-30 mph range it feels a little jumpy/jerky, like it doesn’t know which gear to be in. It only seems to happen when I have been driving on the highway for a while. It usually adjusts pretty quickly, but it is a mild annoyance of mine.
Sponsored

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What weight are they now? That’s about the weight im going to end up with as I hate the good years
What did you notice ?
When I bought the Bronco it had 35/12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20x10 Fuel Blitz wheels. Engine moved it well and brakes stopped it fine. It had a good stance and I liked the wheel style but preferred more sidewall for off road, a better ride than the E load range, and less weight (Especially on the tailgate as the offset pushed the spare much further out away from the gate on the mount.)

Because I liked the wheel style I stayed with the Blitz but in 17x9. I went with the 315/70x17 BFG KO2 (load range C) for the tires as I had good results with them on other vehicles. Total package weighed in around 92 pounds per. The differences were easily noticed. Spare hung closer, ride was greatly improved, and while the Bronco felt powerful enough prior, it really feels nimble now. Gas mileage is the same (less weight but that’s offset by my heavier foot on the pedal now I guess!)

Hope that helps! Before and after pics below.

97573EA5-76E5-4CB2-93E5-6D626F0ACC47.jpeg

F6EEE8E5-53DE-40D3-B0F9-47FE79D92C04.jpeg

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I bought the Bronco it had 35/12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20x10 Fuel Blitz wheels. Engine moved it well and brakes stopped it fine. It had a good stance and I liked the wheel style but preferred more sidewall for off road, a better ride than the E load range, and less weight (Especially on the tailgate as the offset pushed the spare much further out away from the gate on the mount.)

Because I liked the wheel style I stayed with the Blitz but in 17x9. I went with the 315/70x17 BFG KO2 (load range C) for the tires as I had good results with them on other vehicles. Total package weighed in around 92 pounds per. The differences were easily noticed. Spare hung closer, ride was greatly improved, and while the Bronco felt powerful enough prior, it really feels nimble now. Gas mileage is the same (less weight but that’s offset by my heavier foot on the pedal now I guess!)

Hope that helps! Before and after pics below.

Ford Bronco Are you happy with your 2.3 Bronco? F6EEE8E5-53DE-40D3-B0F9-47FE79D92C04

Ford Bronco Are you happy with your 2.3 Bronco? F6EEE8E5-53DE-40D3-B0F9-47FE79D92C04
Thanks I’m going Yokohama x-mt in 35🤷‍♂️ stick wheels

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would say that I am happy with my manual transmission. The 2.3 and 4.7 gearing is enough to turn 37's but more power and torque is always welcome. I do have a protype chip to increase hp & tq but haven't gotten around to installing it.

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2-door Big Bend, 2.3 with m/t and a 4.46 gears with rear lockers. I average 22 MPG (both town and freeway with an occasional gravel road). Plenty of power and the manual shifting is becoming smoother as it's breaking in (2600 miles so far). One note: I don't have the 'squatch package, no bash plates (though I'm looking at aluminum plates from JCR Offroad), no steel bumpers, and I'm running the standard tires and wheels.

As an experiment, for one tank of gas I tried to maximize the mpg by staying below all posted speed limits and accelerating gently granny-style, and I was able to get 25mpg, but that wasn't nearly as fun to drive.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Area51BS

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like 2.3 auto it is. Mainly on road and boat ramps. Might have to learn more about gearing. Don’t need a race truck. Just want enough for passing and merging with confidence.

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Happy to see all of the 2.3 love here. I test drove a 4dr BB with the 2.3 and it handles everything great. Has a 3.4 5VZFE engine in my 4Runner and it blows that out of the water in every metric (+110 hp and +120 torque) except fuel efficiency, which will be very similar.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both motors are good. Mid range passing power is key for any motor.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sounds like 2.3 auto it is. Mainly on road and boat ramps. Might have to learn more about gearing. Don’t need a race truck. Just want enough for passing and merging with confidence.
It looks like you're planning on a BB so I recommend getting the rear locker, even if you're planning on mostly highway driving. Once you learn about gearing it will make sense. Also if your boat ramping includes some gravel, ice, overly steep grades, or other sub-par conditions then the locker may come in handy even there.

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Since it’s near impossible to take a test drive. I ask those with the 2.3 are you happy with it? Enough power for a 4door? Enough to pull a small boat with ease. If I were to get a Bronco it would be used at sea level. No mountains here.
Didn't read the rest of the thread...

My 2.3 automatic has more than enough power. I have never, not a single time, wished that I had the 2.7. But mine is a 2-door, I don't tow things with it, and I go up and down a lot of mountains.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Since it’s near impossible to take a test drive. I ask those with the 2.3 are you happy with it? Enough power for a 4door? Enough to pull a small boat with ease. If I were to get a Bronco it would be used at sea level. No mountains here.
Currently have a 3600lb Maverick with the 2.0 and a Bronco Sport with the 1.5. Maverick is great with the 2.0 and 1.5 is plenty acceptable.
Thanks.
If you remove the whole "Americans must have the largest engine possible" machismo from the equation then you will find that the 2.3 is a more-than-capable engine.

This topic had been gone over many times (use the search function), so I'll just hit the large points:

• In Ranger the 2.3 is somehow magically able to move a 4,500 lb vehicle while also towing 7,500 lbs plus another 1,100 pounds of combined payload in the cab and bed.
  • Somehow for Bronco 2.3 is magically unable to move the vehicle under its own power (according to the "Bronco must have the 2.7" folks)
  • 8,600 is, in fact, MORE than the 4,200 that Bronco is rated to hold&tow.
    • Let's re-visit this point again because it seems to always get lost on the Bronco community 8,600 is more than 4,200 (it's a fact). Now, when you translate this into pounds, why is there a question if the 2.3 engine is capable of moving the drastically lighter Bronco?
I own a 2019 Ranger (Lariat, fx-4) and have towed over 5,000 lbs and another 800 in the cabin/bed up and over the Rocky Mountains multiple times, I've also off-roaded with it. The 2.3 engine is a bonnie and a joy.

The only issue with Ranger is that it's cursed to have the horrific 10AT transmission. I'm rectifying that issue by ordering Bronco with the proper 6MT and can't tell you how excited I am that Bronco has the MT option, the power train combo is the #1 reason I'm ordering Bronco.

22winty

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 135 JB4 2021 Bronco Badlands JB4.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 2.3 with a stick shift and it was great stock. However I added a Burgertuning JB4 and it add a bunch of pep and is adjustable via my phone. I even ran an E30 mix 7 parts 93 / 3 parts E85 and I can definitely feel the difference with the right map It’s an easy plug and play.
I have had the same brand chip in my BMW 135 for 8 years and over 100k miles without issue.

the 2.3 does have a bit of Turbo Lag but a nice smooth engine. I’ve towed a camper, traveled off road and put 20k miles without a hiccup.

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree with Rick ☝if you are happy with your manhood you will be happy with the 2.3. I can't tell any difference between the 2.3 and 2.7. I ordered the 2.3 because they haven't had timing chain issue and it only has 1 turbo to go bad. I can go 80 mph don't the highway and it will still take off when punched.
Sponsored