Sponsored

Auto Start / Stop - how to permanently disable?

Jruta

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Importantly , the ASS can also be dangerous. The slight delay in getting the engine started can result in accidents. I almost was in a bad accident as I was trying to turn onto a busy street because the car delayed power delivery due to the ASS.
After that horrible experience I made sure that all my vehicles had it disabled. The $100 start/stop eliminator device works perfectly in my Bronco.
Exactly this happened to me! Trying to get on a highway from a stop. That split second delay nearly got me killed!
Sponsored

Darren D

Raptor
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport R
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If you like your ASS you can keep your ASS. But those who don't like ASS aren't going to be convinced so there's no need to tell us how great ASS is, the question is how to get rid of it, so if you don't have that answer leave us alone.
I have a 22 so I guess I'm lucky, Forscan did the trick nicely.
Was I addressing you? Because I agree with you. Some other snarky jerk left a comment I was addressing.

Darren D

Raptor
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport R
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If you like your ASS you can keep your ASS. But those who don't like ASS aren't going to be convinced so there's no need to tell us how great ASS is, the question is how to get rid of it, so if you don't have that answer leave us alone.
I have a 22 so I guess I'm lucky, Forscan did the trick nicely.
I have a raptor so I just set my R button and I’m fine. No fiddling with foreskin or anything like you have to do.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Starters of today are not the starters of yesteryear. They’ve been upgraded to take many many more cycles.
I cant speak for other autos, but apparently Toyota says their starters on ASS equipped vehicles are good for around 386,000 starts.
Some Hondas have had the feature since 2016, and I have not replaced an ASS starter yet, nor has anyone else in the shop I work in.

Sponsored

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn't that ironic given the rather large class action Honda is facing on the matter...

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/consumers-sue-honda-motor-over-idle-stop-feature-flaw
The starter isnt the problem. It's a software issue, and Honda rolled out a software update to remedy that. They also suggest a valve adjustment for the same issue, but that's pretty rare and Id have to read over the s/b again for more info. A battery with a low soc can also cause the vehicle to not restart, though usually idle stop is prohibited if the pcm sees the battery has a low soc, or the internal resistance is too high.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you plug in a trailer connector it turns off the blind spot monitoring.

Mine doesn't do that, i have the Ford OEM wiring kit, but i installed it after.

i have to go into the settings and turn off the blind spot indications when towing.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine doesn't do that, i have the Ford OEM wiring kit, but i installed it after.

i have to go into the settings and turn off the blind spot indications when towing.
I'm going to have to look into the settings. When I connect either my boat or utility trailer it automatically turns off BSM.

I hate that it does that as I also have a bike rack that I put lights on the back of and it always turns off BSM when I connect it as well.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to have to look into the settings. When I connect either my boat or utility trailer it automatically turns off BSM.

I hate that it does that as I also have a bike rack that I put lights on the back of and it always turns off BSM when I connect it as well.
Ha! I wash it turned them off for me, I only have the 4 pin set up, if yours was factory installed, or what year? Maybe it’s a new feature or something

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ha! I wash it turned them off for me, I only have the 4 pin set up, if yours was factory installed, or what year? Maybe it’s a new feature or something
'22 Badlands with factory tow option. I'm using the 4-pin connector. Wife has it now so I'll have to check when she gets back.

Sponsored

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
My vehicle starting procedure...

First, start Bronco. While waiting for RPM to drop, turn off Auto-stop and turn off the stupid display.

It's become such an "automatic" process I really don't notice it anymore.

Hitemstiff

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands/ 05 Expedition/ 77 F150 Ranger SB 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just keep the clutch pushed in when at stoplights and the drivethru line and the A.S.S. will not engage.....oh wait.....

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s fine but it is still not a documented safety issue. There is data collected on traffic crashes and I have yet to see auto start stop to be cited as a factor.

You really are not making a quotient argument. I asked a question. An “answer” was given without any evidence. I asked for said proof. If that is too much for you then there is a cry room in the back of the class.

I don’t care for start stop either but the people here that just freak out if you dare to question their feelings on it is just silly.

And the fact still remains. Auto start is not a government regulation. I don’t doubt they would like it to be, but it currently isn’t.
It was a cogent argument and I explained that A.S.S. is not mandatory, but the "nonlatching" aspect is part of the EPA testing--wait for it--regulations.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It was a cogent argument and I explained that A.S.S. is not mandatory, but the "nonlatching" aspect is part of the EPA testing--wait for it--regulations.
Show me said regulation where it is required. As was already stated it isn’t but is a byproduct of the idiotic CAFE nonsense.

This is installed on my '23, works flawlessly, only $40.

It says "no Badlands" for some reason, but I'd had no issues on my BL.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BP9VGF4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
my only concern there is the same I have with any “no name” product from Amazon… what else is it doing. But for $40 that seems like a basic solution to it.
Sponsored