Sponsored

B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not?

Can you drive a stick (manual)? Yes or No

• Total voters

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quick poll of you awesome members.

So I am guessing that most (more than 50%) of B6G members can drive a manual and @Drex thinks it’s less than 50%. Made me curious but yes or no, can you drive a manual?
The last offroad vehicle I test drove was a manual wrangler. Decent clutch but rubbery shifter. It was circa 2006. 4 Door Unlimited.
Sponsored

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can? yes, done it. Should? Not practiced enough for any busy areas, wouldn't feel comfortable without a lot more practice
Thank you for being honest. I think the better question would be, "Can you drive manual well enough you won't look like an idiot driving off the lot."

Which is my fear by the way. Drove manuals all my life but my current for the past 10 years is an auto. I might be more nervous than the first time I took off my wife's bra...

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Less than 50% can drive a stick??? Lmao. Why do hardcore manual guys act like its driving a semi.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Surprised by almost 94% yes. Seems like Ford should have offered the 2.7 with the manual, no? :)
Can and want to are two different things.

Not everybody that can drive a manual wants a manual Bronco.

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove a C-10 chevy with three on the tree, a Plymouth Reliant 4 spd on the floor with a bench seat in front, and an Accord 5 spd. -- The stick throw on the Reliant was about 2 ft between gears. LOL. Beat the snot out of that thing as a teenager. Dukes of Hazard style $%#@.

Sponsored

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First car was an automatic WRX then got my Fiesta ST 3 years ago. Maybe I’d feel different if it was a car with an upgraded clutch but it’s super easy to use. Take it on plenty of road trips and sat in both NYC and Philly traffic tons of times with no issues. Clutch take up is super linear as well. Also most of my driving is on weekends since I was taking the train to/from NYC and didn’t have to drive to the station.
If the Bronco 7sp was closer to that of the JK Wrangler or Tacoma maybe I’d feel differently but those who have tested it said it’s a great box. Not too worried and as of right now I plan to keep the Fiesta as a nice compliment to it.

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've driven nothing but manuals since I was 19 (40 now). My wife and I currently have five vehicles - all manuals. The "rumor" of Ford building a new Bronco with a 7sp manual was what originally pulled me into being interested in the Bronco. Here I am now counting the days until I can finally actually buy one!

As long as some manufacturer continues to make a decent vehicle with a manual trans in the future, I'll buy it over any automatic.

Not sure if that counts for much, but I'm +1 buyer that Ford is getting solely because of their willingness to build a new vehicle with a manual.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All the nannies and assists on modern vehicles are taking away from the mechanical connection to the tires and the road that I live for.

I know there’s barely anything left in this Bronco that won’t be fly-by-wire, but at least I can have a clutch and a shifter that I must work properly in order to have zen-like satisfaction that I’m a critical part of the powertrain. It’s a real art to be able to drive a manual in traffic so smoothly that your passengers can’t feel the shifts, which is a different technique than what’s used to race, or to crawl, or to off-road.

I have the 2.7/10AT combo in my F150 and, being a mechanical engineer, I marvel at the engineering that’s gone into the design of these two amazing components. I do find it boring to drive, though, which is why I’m going 7MT. I don’t think I’d be as interested in the Bronco if it wasn’t offered in 3-pedal config.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@long-road LOL - we’re kindred spirits!

Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I grew up on a farm and was taught to drive on a stick shift, took my driving test on one and have only had 2 auto transmission vehicles in the 15+ I've owned since a teenager.

I debated on the manual for the Bronco, but opted to go with the 10spd auto and V-6. If it came behind the V-6, then sure, I'd get the manual.

You can tell me how good the 2.3 is for days on end, but I don't want another 4 cylinder (my last 3 vehicles have been 4 cylinders) and since a V-8 isn't available, I'll get the V-6 & auto and go from there.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most of my vehicles have been manual. Learned on a 3-on-the-tree. Bronco will be a manual.

Kevinf0wler

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Surprised by almost 94% yes. Seems like Ford should have offered the 2.7 with the manual, no? :)
ask how many are buying a manual , I know how but girlfriend and others in my household do not , so I'm get an auto and I also prefer an auto while off-roading

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I dont even understand why they are offering an auto on the bronco. Seems like a waste of a car. I mean why not just take the bus. :ROFLMAO: