First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have heard of 2 people posting that when they took their drain plug out the oil pan was stripped inside. Is that a common problem?
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't think it is very common But then it can there's a lot of people that don't do their own oil changes.

for me, It has convinced me to go to the dealer for the first oil change. The guy that this happened to ended up eating the price of a new oil pan simply because he's the one who touched it first.

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have heard of 2 people posting that when they took their drain plug out the oil pan was stripped inside. Is that a common problem?
Nope.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was the other one. After I read the first guys post I let Ford do my first change. I did, however, notice the area around my drain plug had some oil seepage. They inspected and noticed the inside of the pan the tabs didn't exist..i don't think this is common. Mine was 100% covered under warranty and zero issues with it

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was the other one. After I read the first guys post I let Ford do my first change. I did, however, notice the area around my drain plug had some oil seepage. They inspected and noticed the inside of the pan the tabs didn't exist..i don't think this is common. Mine was 100% covered under warranty and zero issues with it
I'm still baffled what's holding the oil plug in on these specific ones? I am not a believer of doing a "break in oil change" on these newer vehicles, it sounds like I may be having it done sooner than later just to rule out a bad oil pan.

Sponsored

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still baffled what's holding the oil plug in on these specific ones? I am not a believer of doing a "break in oil change" on these newer vehicles, it sounds like I may be having it done sooner than later just to rule out a bad oil pan.
Just have them check inside the plug hole and make sure the little tabs are in there. They are what the plastic plug threads onto. Mine didn't have any. I noticed a spot of oil on the ground so i looked up there and saw the plug was out a little. i twisted it back in and it was sealed. Then i had it again and this time i just tried pushing it in and it went in. Thats where i got nervous. I actually ran a Ziptie around the little tabs to keep it in place and keep it from backing out. This held out fine and didn't move until i brought it in for its first change. I told them that i had issues and they checked it out and found the plug didn't stay in as it should. I also had an o-ring on the filter cap that was pinched(one of the bigger ones) so they dealt with that too. Now it seems good

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You know that reminds me, I'm going to add check drain plug to my dealer pickup list! Going to make sure it's tight before I even leave the lot.
Sponsored