Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What he said. A new vehicle that blows the motor in under 2K miles sure sounds like the textbook definition of a lemon to me. Not only should your warranty be extended but you also should not be required ot make any payments during that time.

However if the vehicle is a lemon I personally would much prefer it be replaced in general versus a replacement motor which is subject to the skill set of said mechanic at given dealer and the break in procedure they adhere to, etc. etc.

Good luck and sorry.
Why are we taking fruit? Seems a pretty clear cut warranty issue.
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah but the size of the oil pan would have zero impact on the intake/exhaust valves.
If you dig threw the million threads on hear there were some engineers that said the bronco 2.7 is a little differ t than the one in the f150 there not a complete match but pretty close

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are they not known to Ford? All OEMā€™s track things like this ā€¦ and I wouldnā€™t expect them to post it here.
Any in-service mannequin failures would be reported to Ford. But as expected, Ford won't divulge that data. I'm expecting some of these mannequins to fail as they are sold to private buyers. They are all early builds and many were built with the 2.7L.

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any in-service mannequin failures would be reported to Ford. But as expected, Ford won't divulge that data. I'm expecting some of these mannequins to fail as they are sold to private buyers. They are all early builds and many were built with the 2.7L.
True ā€¦ I think I saw forum members reported 24 fails, out of 40,000 sold, thatā€™s 0.06% ā€¦ sound pretty isolated.

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Why are we taking fruit? Seems a pretty clear cut warranty issue.
You feel that a new vehicle with a blown motor that may ultimately take a 1/2 a year to get sorted out and back to them is "taking fruit"? What does that even mean and how does that apply to a case like this?

If he had this issue a year down the road or something along those lines that would be a warranty issue. A month or so is a reasonable time frame at most as well. An issue with a seat belt, warranty issue. An issue with a sensor, warranty issue. A basically BRAND NEW vehicle with a catastrophic engine failure and down for possibly a half a year?

We clearly have different ideas as to what is reasonable and what is not.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Huge bummer, though I appreciate the update.

Such an odd situation considering the 2.7L has been in the F-150 for YEARS and the F-150 is the best-selling vehicle they manufacture. You'd think this issues would have been solved long ago.
You sure about that?

Pretty sure the Bronco got the second gen 2.7L Nano EcoBoost. Which is the same 2.7L EcoBoost Ford puts in the F-150 starting back in 2018.

If it is a different engine... what's different?
Bronco 2.7 engine IS DIFFERENT from the F-150, different head and valve part numbers at a minimum.
So I did a little research when I got some time today. Here's some of what I cyphered:

Complete cyl head assy: ML3Z-6049-K LH, ML3Z-6049-J RH. no need to compare w/F150, you can see from the prefix those are Bronco only

Ex valve: JT4Z-6505-A
Valve spring: FT4Z-6513-A
Keeper: FT4Z-6518-A
Lock: FT4Z-6514-A
Rocker: FT4Z-6564-C
Lifter: BR3Z-6500-A

Got all those #s from repair link, thats when it got interesting...no intake valve listed! So I called my local parts dept that I buy from regularly. The guy I got i know I've talked to before, and is knowledgeable. Gave him the last 8 and asked for intake valve part #. 1st he asked me "this isn't one of those 2.7s that blew up is it?" Which I asked him "have u guys seen any of these?" He said "WE haven't, but I've heard about it" anyhow, his system didn't show a part # for an intake valve either...just an engineering #. The engineering # doesn't lead anywhere, but if he crosses it manually it comes back as FT4Z-6507-A.

The only PN I had him cross over to F150 was the exhaust valve, and they are the same, so the $64k question? Are the failed 2.7 valves all intakes? Don't know we will ever get a clear answer to that, but it sounds like they used a different intake valve and there was a manufacturing issue...heat treat etc. The service PN may be on hold till they decide how to address the issue...revert to previous parts, or trust the new intake valve manufacturer to fix the issue.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

they don't want to ship an engine for fear it will blow too, but continue to put them in new Broncos.... something about that logic sure doesn't track.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True ā€¦ I think I saw forum members reported 24 fails, out of 40,000 sold, thatā€™s 0.06% ā€¦ sound pretty isolated.
Itā€™s not 24 out of total 2.7ā€™s sold. Itā€™s 24 out of how many 2.7ā€™s are owned by people on this forum. I have no idea what that number is but I know itā€™s not 40k!

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

3240 miles on mine, no issues so far. I'll worry about mine if/when it blows, no time for conspiracies and paranoia.
Good luck to the OP, I hope they get that situation sorted out and pop a new engine in your rig pronto! Holidays might have slowed things down a bit, but we're almost 2 weeks past that, some communication and clarification is certainly to be expected by now. Good luck!

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

they don't want to ship an engine for fear it will blow too, but continue to put them in new Broncos.... something about that logic sure doesn't track.
You have heard of Dirt Mountain......no?

Sponsored

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You feel that a new vehicle with a blown motor that may ultimately take a 1/2 a year to get sorted out and back to them is "taking fruit"? What does that even mean and how does that apply to a case like this?

If he had this issue a year down the road or something along those lines that would be a warranty issue. A month or so is a reasonable time frame at most as well. An issue with a seat belt, warranty issue. An issue with a sensor, warranty issue. A basically BRAND NEW vehicle with a catastrophic engine failure and down for possibly a half a year?

We clearly have different ideas as to what is reasonable and what is not.
Sorry talking fruit ā€¦ lemon law. I would think itā€™s very warrantable - the sooner the better - as far as the timing to get it fixed ā€¦ Covid??? Getting a replacement vehicle - good luck with that any time soon. Obviously 6 month downtime is ridiculous.

Last edited:

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Itā€™s not 24 out of total 2.7ā€™s sold. Itā€™s 24 out of how many 2.7ā€™s are owned by people on this forum. I have no idea what that number is but I know itā€™s not 40k!
True - or 0.06% of Bronco engines sold.

Essmith94

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have a 2.7 built on 21224 and approaching 1700 milesā€¦. Now I am going to be worried every time I start the Bronco. šŸ™„šŸ˜«

Seriously, any preventive checking I can do to possibly head off a failure? Really like my Bronco and donā€™t want to have it sit for 6 months waiting on a new motor.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
In one of the 'blown engine' threads somebody speculated it is isolated to a bad batch of valves from a vendor, not the engine itself. That might explain what you point out.
Kia recently discovered some faulty piston rings (bad heat treatment) on some engines. Causing engine failures. My car was part of the recall, so I had to bring it in for inspection. Fortunately no issue, and my engine runs like a top with no oil burning. On cars that have the issue from the bad batch of rings, Kia is replacing the engines.

Point is, sometimes this stuff happens. Will be interesting down the road, to see if these Bronco 2.7 failures are just random cases, or end up due to a bad part such as valves you mentioned.

Scottpyro

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco 1970 bronco 2006 tiger rv 2006 gmc tru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
what are the engine # indicated on valve cover range of suspect bad valve motors? Thx.
Sponsored