Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You said that in the first post “the timing chain broke”. Everything else is searching for a conspiracy theory, and the service techs are going to say 6 months for replacement to get you off their case since Ford doesn’t have many spare 2.7 engines to offer.
Give Ms Jones a week like she asked for to show you respect her claimed escalated attention you’re getting. Calling one day later makes it clear you’re only a complainer and shell be less likely to give you her full effort.
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You know you can update one of your many posts on this right? There is a huge backlog for crate 2.7s right now…….

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You said that in the first post “the timing chain broke”. Everything else is searching for a conspiracy theory, and the service techs are going to say 6 months for replacement to get you off their case since Ford doesn’t have many spare 2.7 engines to offer.
Give Ms Jones a week like she asked for to show you respect her claimed escalated attention you’re getting. Calling one day later makes it clear you’re only a complainer and shell be less likely to give you her full effort.
She did say she’d call him Tuesday. When someone tells me they’ll call me Tuesday, I expect a call Tuesday even if just to say she’s still working on it.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean, I would hate to give up my bronco, but it could be time to look up the lemon laws and get ford to take it back.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Recap: December 23rd, while stopped at a stop light (only 2,024 miles on it), the 2.7 died and would simply not restart. The Bronco ended up being towed to local Ford dealer where it discovered that the timing chain broke, the valves had destroyed the pistons and metal shaving contaminated the entire oil system.

December 30th, 7 days later, Ford Motor Co. finally authorized a rental to “temporarily” replace the Bronco. I know some say that I must be patient, after all it was Christmas on the 25th. To that I reply I know, since the Bronco was my only vehicle (I traded my truck in to get it and sold my 06 Jeep TJ) I was stranded without an automobile during the Christmas Holiday.

January 6, 2022, Ford Motor Company has not yet authorized a replacement motor (according to my local Ford Dealership’s Service Dept.). It has now been 14 days since the new Bronco lost it’s engine. I was not expecting the Bronco to be fixed by now, but I was expecting that Ford would have at least authorized an engine replacement and maybe even be in the process of shipping said replacement to the dealership. That evening, I started via the internet, to look up e-mail addresses and phone numbers to every Executive I could find within Ford Motor and I started my, “Complain Campaign”.

January 10, 2022, I went to my local Ford Dealer’s Service Department where my Bronco was towed to. (Greenwood Ford, Hollister, CA) At various times, not all at once, I spoke with several Service Writers, one Service Tech and the Service Manager. The bottom line was the dealership employees are frustrated with Ford Motor Co. They are not getting the parts, information, or answers from Ford Motor that they need to take care of my Bronco’s needs.

One on one, an individual said in confidence to me that Ford Motor is aware that there is an issue with the 2.7 engines and Engineers are most likely developing a fix to the production of new motors. That person also said they doubted Ford would send a current crate motor that could potentially have the same issue. When I inquired/pushed as to when Ford could potentially have a design fix and expect a new motor to be shipped, he said that is up to Michigan, and his best guess was four to six months.

Feeling disheartened, I left the Service Department and was walking back to the rental vehicle when I received a call from Michigan. (My Complain Campaign got someone’s attention!) Ms. Jones who works for the Ford Motor Co. Executive Offices told me that my e-mail I sent to the Board of Directors complaining about the lack of support regarding my 2021 Ford Bronco was forwarded to her and she will be looking into my case. Ms. Jones said that since she just received my information, she would follow up with me the next day (Tuesday, January 11, 2022). She also said that the number she was calling me from was her direct line and if I had any questions or concerns, to please call her. (I felt hopeful!)

January 11, 2022, near the end of the business day (5pm Michigan time), no call as of yet from Ms. Jones. I did call Ms. Jones at 3pm Michigan time and left a request for a call back, which never happened. Perhaps Ms. Jones is still looking into the situation. Perhaps she found out the same as I was told at the Dealership, four to six months.

Rant:
Please correct me if the following numbers are wrong, they are what I was looking at today waiting for a call that never came: Food for thought for reservation holders and those thinking of placing a reservation. From what I can tell, Ford has shipped roughly 30k Broncos for delivery thus far. Not all of those 30k units are 2.7 engines, some are the 2.3. I’m guessing most opted for the 2.7 so let’s say 25k units of the 2.7 broncos have shipped. I know Bronco6G has a great following within the Bronco community, but not all Bronco owners probably belong to it. Bronco6G has a current list of 23 known 2.7 Bronco engines that have failed. I would guess the actual number of failed 2.7 Broncos to total above 30 units. If my numbers are somewhat in the ballpark, you have a far better chance of your 2.7 Bronco having a catastrophic failure vs wining the lotto. Good luck!
@Lance103222 you said in your OP that you were told the timing chain failed. This is the only failure we have heard of where the timing chain was mentioned. Could you ask how the tech determined the timing chain was the root cause, or did he just speculate that could have been the cause because valves were damaged?

Sponsored

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes but only about 30,000 of those sold and shipped to customers so far. Keep in mind 6000+ of those 54000 are mannequins. Offrodeo builds, testing vehicles, and the list goes on.
North American Sales are over 40,000 for the year. Note: most Ford numbers are U.S. sales. Do mannequins not blow engines?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

North American Sales are over 40,000 for the year. Note: most Ford numbers are U.S. sales. Do mannequins not blow engines?
Any mannequins with the 2.7 that have failed during the 6 month in-service requirement won't ever be known. No dealer is going to post on B6G such a testimony. Now, most of the demo's in-service requirement have been met and will be available for sale in January/February. Buyers of 2.7 mannequins should note the engine build date and mileage and temper their expectations.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't know, I ordered a 2.3L. Too soon? :LOL:

Last edited:

Obiwan

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't care to share personal info
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What he said. A new vehicle that blows the motor in under 2K miles sure sounds like the textbook definition of a lemon to me. Not only should your warranty be extended but you also should not be required ot make any payments during that time.

However if the vehicle is a lemon I personally would much prefer it be replaced in general versus a replacement motor which is subject to the skill set of said mechanic at given dealer and the break in procedure they adhere to, etc. etc.

Good luck and sorry.

In California, a car is considered a lemon if " the automobile has been out of service under repair for a total of 30 or more days during the vehicle’s first 18,000 miles or the first 18 months of ownership (whichever comes first) "

I believe this means that in a little over 10 days from now, the vehicle can be declared a lemon and you can force Ford to buy it back. *note, I'm not an attorney, don't sue me.

https://thelemonlawcalifornia.com/lemon-law-2/number-of-repairs-before-a-new-car-is-a-lemon/

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Huge bummer, though I appreciate the update.

Such an odd situation considering the 2.7L has been in the F-150 for YEARS and the F-150 is the best-selling vehicle they manufacture. You'd think this issues would have been solved long ago.
The 2.7 in the bronco is not the same as in the f150 I thought everyone new this bye now

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 in the bronco is not the same as in the f150 I thought everyone new this bye now
You sure about that?

Pretty sure the Bronco got the second gen 2.7L Nano EcoBoost. Which is the same 2.7L EcoBoost Ford puts in the F-150 starting back in 2018.

If it is a different engine... what's different?

Jofenech

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was aware it was different , do you how it differs ? Is it a large variation ? Or something like a different oil pan.

OP
OP
Lance103222

Lance103222

First Edition
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F250, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
In California, a car is considered a lemon if " the automobile has been out of service under repair for a total of 30 or more days during the vehicle’s first 18,000 miles or the first 18 months of ownership (whichever comes first) "
The thought has crossed my mind.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was aware it was different , do you how it differs ? Is it a large variation ? Or something like a different oil pan.
I beleave it was posted on hear the oil pans are different
Sponsored