Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last sliders I bought were in the white. POR-15 on the brackets and the underneath and sides. Self etching primer, and then Black Krylon.

Very happy with the results and no worries about rust. Touch up is easy when needed, but that's not often.
Sponsored

awall987

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJ, '23 2dr BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Rattle can it all the way. I did that on my sliders and skid plates for my FJ and just have to touch them up every once in a while.

As someone already said, get a big scratch in powder coat, sure you can touch up with paint but the rust may have already started under the coating and you can't see it.

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe you've already ruled this one out, but you could side step the issue by going with aluminum. If you're really planning on hammering them, maybe it doesn't make sense. If not, though, the hit to durability might make sense as you'd never have to spend time messing around with rust.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe you've already ruled this one out, but you could side step the issue by going with aluminum. If you're really planning on hammering them, maybe it doesn't make sense. If not, though, the hit to durability might make sense as you'd never have to spend time messing around with rust.
Aluminum doesn't slide though, it sticks and gouges.

OP
OP
kevin.gt

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™m still shopping out options. I may do this for the skids.

Iā€™m new to this and opted for a base sasquatch and need some protection. Iā€™ll be taking it easy at first but also have plans to visit Moab and Sand Hollow in the summer. I want something I can grow into but also wonā€™t be broncbusterā€™ing (is he a verb yet šŸ˜†)

Sponsored

Badlux

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Scrambler , CJ-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Powder coating is easy and petty but too brittle for that application. Also steel has to be really prepped well but rarely is.

1. You can let the metal get a nice surface rust then use a rust converter like POR-15 to create a super tough outer shell, and while still tacky, top coat with a good chassis paint.

2. A good etching primer and top coat with a chassis paint.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess it depends on how long you want your sliders to last. Different strokes..
If they're actually doing their job, powder seems like a waste of money. Heck, the sliders on my RZR were powder coated from the merchant and they got blasted in one season.

Spray on bed liner or regular machinery grade spray paint seems far more practical for something that is supposed to get scratched and dented and stay out of sight most of the time.

rcloke0124

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-Door, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As soon as powder coat gets a scratch in it water infiltrates and it doesn't last much longer than spray paint. Only thing is you can't touch it up.
Dude I'm not here to argue of prove you wrong or me right. Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

If I'm spending $60K on a vehicle, I want it to look as good as it functions. So I will do everything I can to protect it from rust and trail damage. We differ in that respect, but one method is better for some than others.

Stay safe.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dude I'm not here to argue of prove you wrong or me right. Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

If I'm spending $60K on a vehicle, I want it to look as good as it functions. So I will do everything I can to protect it from rust and trail damage. We differ in that respect, but one method is better for some than others.

Stay safe.
I donā€™t know why you are getting all bent out of shape. The guy who started this thread asked for opinions on powder coating or spray paint. I think spray paint is the way to go. My reply is for him, not you.

OP
OP
kevin.gt

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I donā€™t see anyone getting upset. Just different opinions. No need to escalate. I appreciate the feedback and agree itā€™s nice for sliders to look good as well as function and resist rust. Seems like there are mixed opinions on what holds up best. Some are saying powder coating can be touched up which is good to hear. Also reading itā€™s common for people to diy spray. So far my take away is that Iā€™m likely fine going either direction and will need to be diligent in touch up when the protection is scraped off.

Sponsored

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If itā€™s normal powder coating (not that wrinkle crap) just hit the scratch with a can of spray paint. I use VHT roll bar paint, $10 a can. Itā€™s a perfect match. My Jeep sliders are probably 50% spray paint now and I canā€™t tell it apart from the powder coat
This^. Donā€™t powder coat anything prone to being scratched, scraped, or dinged. It can be touched up with auto enamel but other products are much more practical. VHT is good stuff as is POR-15. Lots of the 1G Bronco folks use these types of products. I made liberal use of VHT when resto-modding the Bronco in my avatar.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What do you guys think about spray bedliner vs paint? I would think It would be a little thicker, and when it got scratched you could just spray that spot over again?

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As soon as powder coat gets a scratch in it water infiltrates and it doesn't last much longer than spray paint. Only thing is you can't touch it up.
Not true. Powder coat can absolutely be touched up. I ran a manufacturing plant for several years and we touched up black wrinkle powder coatings on the enclosures all the time with paint. Just need to know what youā€™re doing and know what paint to use.
Sponsored