Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 4Runner on a Bilstein 6112/5160 and 285 BFGs could handle quite a bit. I didn't rock crawl, just did similar exploring to what you are describing. Primarily what would be considered blue level trails. I bring that up due to the 4Runner/GX being the same platform. I currently have a '11 GX460, stock with with some Yoko Geolandar in stock size. The ground clearance suffers a bit with the running boards, but I could pull those off if needed.

Unless you're really building up the GX, you shouldn't need 10-15k unless you're going full Expo on it. Wheels, tires, and the Bilstein setup on the 4Runner ran maybe $2500 or so, all in. If you're talking 2.5" or more of lift, then you'll need new upper arms, too.

I can't compare to a Bronco yet, as mine is stranded on Dirt Mountain, so hopefully I'll be able to before the end of '22. But it sounds like the Bronco should also be able to do the same level of exploring with probably just better tires.

Ford Bronco Base 2dr 7speed vs used Gx470 off-road. IMG_6110.JPG
Sponsored

yabu00

Base
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Inifinit FX-35
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve been wheeling my base a good bit around central Virginia; nothing crazy but a lot of jeep trails and mud. I have black diamond tire/wheel take offs, the upgraded bumper, oem rock rails, and some extra armor for the transfer case (upgraded bumper gives me front skids and the 2 door comes with protection for the fuel tank). Those upgrades came to a little under $2,000 altogether.

With all that, the base is near indistinguishable from a black diamond outside of the lockers (and much less expensive). There’s quite a lot that you can do on that kind of platform without really worrying about breaking anything. I can’t speak to the Lexus, but the base is still a purpose built off-roader. I wouldn’t worry about its capability for your use case, especially with some minor upgrades. Now, all the things I added are extra cost and should be included in your calculation about what to get.

Last edited:

99Cruiser

Base
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
100 & 200 Series Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Base
We plan on replacing my wife's 2007 GX470 with a 2023 base 2 door Bronco. She is worried about driving the Bronco in the rain since the GX470 is AWD and had bad experiences with RWD in the past especially with a Mustang GT. Even though the GX470 is 14+ years old it is still very reliable and drives great. It is also a decent tow rig due to the V8, airbag rear suspension and is wired for trailer brakes from the factory.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Same opinion as the above comments, the base as is will not be a great off road vehicle. Certainly a good occasional 4wd vehicle, but not offroad. I see a lot of value in the base if you plan on heavily modifying your vehicle and don't want to pay for parts you will later discard.
So you are saying classic and FSB's are that much better than a base new broncos? Most came without even LS's in either end, and did fine on the above expected uses, offroad

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you are saying classic and FSB's are that much better than a base new broncos? Most came without even LS's in either end, and did fine on the above expected uses, offroad
Coming from someone who owned 3 FSB's and wheeled them all, I think the base Bronco would be much better offroad than a stock FSB. Shorter, narrower, more wheel travel, and newer tech that can use the ABS system for traction control all make a difference. I did my first trip to Moab with an aftermarket LS rear and open front diffs on 32" tires, it was OK (I got stuck many times), but the following year with 33" tires and a rear locker was much better. I won't discount the locker(s) available on the 6G, they make a big difference, but the base is still plenty capable.

Many people are solid axle snobs, thinking that IFS is garbage offroad. Sure, solid axle is better in rock crawling and likely stronger when beaten hard, but the IFS is better for 98% of the daily driving that most of us do and is better at higher speeds offroad. The Twin Traction Beam (TTB) front axle on the 80-96 FSB's had a bad rep, but I built mine up with 16" of wheel travel and coilovers. I crawled hard with ARB lockers front and rear and never had issues with it beyond a few broken Warn locking hubs. I could go 2-3 times the speed of a solid axle rig in the desert and maintain control compared to a solid axle rig.

Ford Bronco Base 2dr 7speed vs used Gx470 off-road. Bronco Coilovers
Ford Bronco Base 2dr 7speed vs used Gx470 off-road. Bronco Coilover 2

Sponsored

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But gx is ugly as hell

Bruzer22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But gx is ugly as hell
Meh, looks are subjective. Plenty of folks think the Bronco, and especially the flares, are ugly as hell. Not many people on this forum, though. Well, except for the flares on the Raptor...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pretty sure I never mentioned EBs, but I guess you’re on to why so few EBs were modified for off road use. If you are happy with 30s and open diffs, rock on. You don’t need my permission.

Last edited:

twyoung1975

Base
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 C10, Nissan Versa, Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For the type of use you describe, the Base Bronco will be more than adequate as long as you put some larger tires on it. I have a Base non-Squatch on 35's and I've wheeled all over the western US in it, and I've only struggled on terrain that is far beyond what you described you want to tackle. Pro-tip: get the manual transmission, both for the granny gear and the 4.46 axle ratio so you won't have to re-gear when you go to larger tires. Oh, and yes the 2-door Base does come with a gas tank skid plate.
I've watched your videos, if they don't prove that a base bronco is very capable, then I don't know what would. Sure a fully loaded Badlands or Wildtrack is more capable, but probably 99% of people will never need most of that capability. I don't do any really serious off roading, but I feel very confident my base 2 door with larger tires, will go most places I want to go.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have no off-road experience other than military life. I’ve been looking at the gx 470 used and wonder if the base Bronco could be as good off-road. Price is a problem, which is why I thought used. But the prices on these are going crazy. After 10-15k plus upgrades to a 470 I would be getting close to a base 7speed monthly payment. Don’t think I’ll ever be a rock climber. Just want to explore and have some adventures. Would love to have the base with sqwatch but let’s be honest if I could save the extra 8k for that I wouldn’t be worried about money. I know there’s a couple on here that have put 35’s on their base and it’s done more than I would probably ever do.
You should be fine for light to moderate off-roading. I have more miles off-road in late 80's early 90's Dodge extended body vans in the deserts of California and Arizona than I care to remember. Occasionally was blessed with the same vintage Bronco or Ramcharger. Most of what I did would be doable with a 2WD with a locker as backup!

Now 4WD and the rear locker came in handy/fun on the beach at South Padre Island Texas. Deep sand was not an issue.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Coming from someone who owned 3 FSB's and wheeled them all, I think the base Bronco would be much better offroad than a stock FSB. Shorter, narrower, more wheel travel, and newer tech that can use the ABS system for traction control all make a difference. I did my first trip to Moab with an aftermarket LS rear and open front diffs on 32" tires, it was OK (I got stuck many times), but the following year with 33" tires and a rear locker was much better. I won't discount the locker(s) available on the 6G, they make a big difference, but the base is still plenty capable.

Many people are solid axle snobs, thinking that IFS is garbage offroad. Sure, solid axle is better in rock crawling and likely stronger when beaten hard, but the IFS is better for 98% of the daily driving that most of us do and is better at higher speeds offroad. The Twin Traction Beam (TTB) front axle on the 80-96 FSB's had a bad rep, but I built mine up with 16" of wheel travel and coilovers. I crawled hard with ARB lockers front and rear and never had issues with it beyond a few broken Warn locking hubs. I could go 2-3 times the speed of a solid axle rig in the desert and maintain control compared to a solid axle rig.

I agree, was just calling out the guy who said " the base as is will not be a great off road vehicle". It will be plenty for what the intended use described by the OP.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pretty sure I never mentioned EBs, but I guess you’re on to why so few EBs were modified for off road use. If you are happy with 30s and open diffs, rock on. You don’t need my permission.
So what, I mentioned them. Stock base EB, FSB, or new bronco will all be fine for what it sounds like OP wants to do. Might eventually want a more aggressive tire, but that could be said about any stock 4WD.

Not sure what you are talking about with EB's not modified for offroad use. Hard to find one that hasn't been. Maybe in the 60's and 70's when they first came out, many weren't.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So what, I mentioned them. Stock base EB, FSB, or new bronco will all be fine for what it sounds like OP wants to do. Might eventually want a more aggressive tire, but that could be said about any stock 4WD.

Not sure what you are talking about with EB's not modified for offroad use. Hard to find one that hasn't been. Maybe in the 60's and 70's when they first came out, many weren't.
Yeah, that’s my point.

Mike1976

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have both. My new Basesquatch is awesome offroad. I have taken it to Moab and around Colorado for the last few months. My 05 GX470 is also awesome. The aftermarket for the GX is already established as it takes all FJ Cruiser and 4Runner parts. The parts are readily available and cheap, which you will need if you decide to get into off-roading. Everyone knows how to work on a 4runner, which is all a GX is, but in a Tuxedo. Honestly, most people modify any vehicle that goes off-road. You can't go wrong with either. If I had to sell one, it would probably be the Bronco, but I have a family of 6 so the GX seats everyone. You can also get a 4runner with a 3rd seat and a V8, so don't let people fool you that the GX is bigger. It's the same chassis, just slightly wider interior. The 4runner gets a real center console and a drop down rear window, so even though I have a well built 470, I would probably pick a 4runner over it if they were the same price with the same options.

BTW my GX is lifted 3", 33's, rear locker, upgraded front axles, fully armored, front and rear bumpers and winch. Bronco is stock and it's like cheating with front and rear lockers, better approach and departure angles. But... I don't care if I scratch the Lexus.
Sponsored