Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gotcha. Best I can figure, that's the biggest difference with your base build. I had a similar path to @Compta38 - my 21 was a BD Sas Mid. By the time 22 orders opened, I talked myself into BL Sas Lux - that screen sold me.

But the BD Sas Mid is probably the best bang.
I have a BD and love it! The MGV seats and washout floor is awesome and BD seems to be best bang for the buck.
Agreed, after going back and forth all last year, BD is the happy medium money wise. Most of what you need, none of what you don't.
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lmao. Hopefully I only change my order once. I’m gonna put a 4” lift and 37s on it. Might as well pay for that instead of the squatch
If your a mall crawler then yes, skip the Sas. If your going to send it, get Sas and the heavier axles, gearing and lockers.

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you plan on going to 37s then you may want to go with the sas package. Not for the locking ability of the front diff but because they are stronger than the unit used on a non sas BD.
And the 4.7 gearing that would support the larger tires. SAS is a deal when you look at the mechanical upgrades. You can’t build it as well for anywhere near the money it costs for SAS. You can also recover the first $2K of the SAS upgrade by selling the wheels and tires.

I was all in on the BD, but ended up chasing the heated seats in a manual trans all the way to Badlands.

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
Drop to base and get sas. Cloth seats > MGV anyways unless you like getting cooked by your seats in the summer.

zerk4321

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IMO a base squatch with modular bumper gets you the best bang for the buck. I priced leather or vinyl seats aftermarket, plus DIY aftermarket tow (4-pin), plus window tint, plus rock rail takeoffs from someone else, and it's still a couple of thousand less than jumping up to the Black DIamond. Of course, if you want the mid- or lux package, that's a different story.

Sponsored

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mgv is awesome...I freaking went from a BB to a BD just for mgv then stupidly drove a WT with high package now I'm getting a Badlands for high package and mgv.

How the HELL did I go from a stock BB with only a 2.7, MIC and mid to a damn Badlands with 2.7, Sasquatch, high and MIC? jfc...

Black Diamond is probably the biggest bang for the buck out of the lot. Definitely the best grill.
Only reason I'm in a BL and not a BD is for the cameras and front sensors on High.

Mustang Mike

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went back and forth with the Base VS BD and after driving a BL with the MGV seats and vinyl floor I was sold on BD! In the summer we spend a good amount of time at the beach and sand is a constant pain so that was another bonus for washout interior!
Also I llive up north so snow/salt on my boots is killer on carpet plus having winter wheels/tires come from factory on BD was a huge bonus, not that it matters a whole lot in Florida?

RyanRallyX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Tacoma, '12 Pilot, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We love our BD. The vinyl seats are so nice, but do get warm. Easy to clean out the floor, but it does always look dirty. MID package gets you a lot, and just the rear locker is fine for what I do. Bash plates, bumpers, and rock rails are impressive as well. I agree with many that I think you get the most for your money with this trim.

Was looking to base in the beginning, but I think the upgrades will make it a much more satisfying vehicle to drive for years to come.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Basesquach is the best deal going if you want sas. BD is the value king, like someone else said has everything you really need/use (95%) of people. BL is probably the most rounded overall and the most popular.

In your case if you are doing a lift/tires BD makes sense. You'll be fine with the diff, suspension, etc. if you lift yourself.
BL is nasty but also 7-8k more, and unless you need access to the high package OR do extreme off-roading it is a luxury.

All are fine choices, it really comes down to what you want to spend now and later, what luxuries you need, and how will you use it.

euler

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a BD non-sas on order. I'm going back and forth between upgrading to sas.

My mission is a daily driver (short commute), family trip duty (< 6 hours typically, snow, roof-rack is a must), and weekend off-roading (I'm a rookie, but being in Socal this looks fun).

Current plan: Do the BD non-SAS 2.7 mid and perhaps upgrade the tires to 285/70/17 or so if I want more offroad capability. I do worry that the non-SAS ground clearance is not anything special.

Plan B: Get the Sas, but I worry about (1) daily driving & handling & (2) ease of entry for the kids/wife.

Plan C: get the BL, but I would need to get the smaller engine to accommodate the roof rack (hard requirement).

And advice from would be much appreciated. Also, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm threadjacking.

Thanks!

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Drop to base and get sas. Cloth seats > MGV anyways unless you like getting cooked by your seats in the summer.
Eh, my plan is to put a towel over the seats if they’re parked in the summer sun. Getting caught by a surprise afternoon summer t storm turns our wrangler’s cloth seats into a mildew factory. F that. Sweaty bum > mildew imo.

OP
OP
SwampDaddy

SwampDaddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a BD non-sas on order. I'm going back and forth between upgrading to sas.

My mission is a daily driver (short commute), family trip duty (< 6 hours typically, snow, roof-rack is a must), and weekend off-roading (I'm a rookie, but being in Socal this looks fun).

Current plan: Do the BD non-SAS 2.7 mid and perhaps upgrade the tires to 285/70/17 or so if I want more offroad capability. I do worry that the non-SAS ground clearance is not anything special.

Plan B: Get the Sas, but I worry about (1) daily driving & handling & (2) ease of entry for the kids/wife.

Plan C: get the BL, but I would need to get the smaller engine to accommodate the roof rack (hard requirement).

And advice from would be much appreciated. Also, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm threadjacking.

Thanks!
If you need more clearance, buy a lift kit.. if your wife complains about getting in and out.. trade her in on something new (not the bronco)

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks!

Plan C is best. You need to get the smaller engine anyway in order to get the better transmission. ;)
Sponsored