Sponsored

Based on the response/reactions on here, could the Raptor end up pushing Ford to go nuclear and drop a V8 in a street legal bronco?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Ford has the the following V8 engines currently in production:
  • 5.0L Coyote
  • 5.2L Predator
  • 6.2L Boss V8
  • 7.3L Godzilla
Doesn't make sense to put in the V8 Coyote because they can get better performance numbers out of the EcoBoost engines. The 6.2L is likely too big for the Bronco's engine bay, and the 7.3L would just be way over the top... so... that leaves the 5.2L.

Either way... if they do a V8 Bronco it'll probably be whatever V8 they put into the F-150 Raptor R. I think most of the rumors for that are the 5.2L Predator, but Ford could always do something unexpected.
True but honestly I think they are putting the 5.2 in the Raptor R just because they can and to steal some thunder from the TRX not because it's a good fit.

I'm all for excessive and just because but putting a 760 hp supercharged engine in the bronco doesn't make a case to me
What about the Baby Godzilla........ it would be a great fit for both F150 Raptor & Bronco Raptor, and it's already designed to work with FI. Could do a NA in the Bronco Raptor and a FI in the F150 Raptor...... just saying....
Sponsored

J Jernigan

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still don't see it happening. The Braptor will just be a tune away from 392 power numbers anyway.
the torque numbers are likely already there and at a much lower rpm. We all know that torque and where it lies in the powerband is where off road trucks shine.
if this thing ends up at 415-425hp/475 torque it will perform just fine in all but on road acceleration tests against the much lighter 392.

N8Mash

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe but the Baby Godzilla doesn’t exist today in a production vehicle, and in many ways it would occupy the market segment as the Coyote.

The other problem is pushrod engines are typically larger than DOHC engines for the same displacement, and the Bronco isn’t very big,
Hey, you're usually correct 99% of the time, but you've got this switched around.

DOHC tends to be larger than pushrod. Taller heads to hold gear train, extra length for cam phasers and what not.

Ford Bronco Based on the response/reactions on here, could the Raptor end up pushing Ford to go nuclear and drop a V8 in a street legal bronco? 1643120834817

That being said, if Ford can make adequate power with Ecoboost AND pass EPA Emissions (sorta BS standard, cuz real world turbo economy is nearly always worse than window sticker) I don't see them throwing a V8 at the Bronco this late in the game.

Plus Godzilla is over 100lbs more than the Ecoboost which is significant I'd say.

How much weight difference is a 392 vs Jeep 3.6 though?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good discussion here, but my opinion is that for the very small crowd (YouTubers, Rich D Bags, drug dealers, etc) who insist on a V8, you'll have an aftermarket that'll take care of these hopes and desires for a hefty price.

For everyone else, the V8 is more of a flex move than function, so I don't think Ford itself will indulge this impulse. Sure, they may release some sort of an SVT version, but not sure they've even done that for the F-150 Raptor. Other thing is the only real advantage of a V8 is sound and ability to supercharge without too much thread of destroying the engine.

I'm not sure anyone outside of an ULTRA4 racer will either want to, or can handle the prospect of bombing a 500hp truck without a cage through the desert. Think this is the big point missing from the knowledge and experience of many guys who post talk on here.

The Raptor itself will be a ton to handle and I know damn well that most guys here are not trained and have too much pride to go get trained, they just want to "look" like pro drivers; see this all the time.

So, unless you are also requesting a cage to be added from the factory, there is no realistic need for anyone here to have a V8 in this truck and couldn't even wheel this one without destroying it.

Yep, I said it. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Imm go with a no for me dawg, but the chance may still be on the table. They already said a raptor r with a v8 is coming for late 2022. Is terms of spec the regular bronco barely lost to the 392 so this raptor (STOP BRAPTOR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) should be comparable.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What about the Baby Godzilla........ it would be a great fit for both F150 Raptor & Bronco Raptor, and it's already designed to work with FI. Could do a NA in the Bronco Raptor and a FI in the F150 Raptor...... just saying....
Just looking at the way ford has done things in the past, if the baby Godzilla ever becomes reality, I would bet money on the coyote going away and it becoming Ford's go to V8. I don't see Ford offering two different V8s in the F-150 anymore, so then they would also have to make sure it works as a performance engine in the mustang.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If Jeep can fit a V8 in the Wrangler, Ford can do it in the Bronco. That said (and I haven't compared the numbers of Raptor VS 392 Wrangler), Ford feel that that super charged Eco boost is fine enough.

Who knows.

StevieD23

Wildtrak
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra, 2021 AMB Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't think a V8 is a better option. It is much heavier than the ecoboost. It won't handle as well
The Coyote V8 weighs about 30lb more than a 3.0 Ecoboost. That's not the reason they aren't putting it in a Bronco.

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the video's I watched the guy in he speculated that Ford will probably make a Bronco Raptor R like they are planning for the F-150 Raptor. I agree with his speculation that they would probably use the 3.5 V6 that is in the F-150 in the Bronco Raptor R. The 3.5 is rated at 450 HP and 510 ft-lbs torque, whereas the 5.0L coyote in my 2016 mustang has 435 HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque. I know they have squeezed a little more out of the 5.0 since then. I haven't researched but I'm sure tuners have been able to get even more out of the 3.5L. So unless they add a supercharger to the 5.0 the 3.5L actually beats it out in performance.

Sponsored

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So before you light your torches and hurl your pitchforks, I know already the V8 has been discussed ad nauseum on here and the consensus, even from Ford is "NO V8 FOR YOU!"
I get it, but I'm a bit curious now, with the 392 Jeep having its honking V8, the majority of reactions not being overly impressed with the Braptor, and the Braptor most likely being underpowered compared to the 392... If the demand flops a bit for the Braptor, I think Ford might say enough, and release the kracken so to speak.....
Just my opinion, curious if anyone might think the same.
3.0 Eco-boost is in it.

OP
OP
gentlemanbronco

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I still think they’ll do at least a small batch of special editions with a V8 that are street legal. Similar to the 392 last hurrah o
3.0 Eco-boost is in it.
Also, sky is blue. lol

2021WILDTRAKCDH

Wildtrak
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So before you light your torches and hurl your pitchforks, I know already the V8 has been discussed ad nauseum on here and the consensus, even from Ford is "NO V8 FOR YOU!"
I get it, but I'm a bit curious now, with the 392 Jeep having its honking V8, the majority of reactions not being overly impressed with the Braptor, and the Braptor most likely being underpowered compared to the 392... If the demand flops a bit for the Braptor, I think Ford might say enough, and release the kracken so to speak.....
Just my opinion, curious if anyone might think the same.
It would be hard to argue that Ford didn’t cause jeep to sell a rubicon 392…no new bronco and Jeep would have kept just selling 2.0t and pentastar v6s and some diesels.
I own a 72 Bronco and a 21 Jeep Rubicon 392 …if it ford ever finds some microchips , I will take delivery of a 2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak.
Ford has a history of responding to public pressure to build specialty vehicles …Ford GT, Thunderbird , and now a reimagined Bronco.
Emission standards and the lack of the right v8 will probably mean no v8 bronco—but again Ford has a history —-so let’s kept the faith.
I have driven and owned just about every type of off road vehicle or truck …even a retired trophy truck and yes the world is a better place for Jeep releasing the Rubicon 392 …the bronco raptor (Ugly flares and all) owes its existence to the jeep 392 and the jeep 392 owes its existence to the bronco and bronco raptor.
cheers

Mackie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford 150 Lariat 3.5L Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
the bronco raptor (Ugly flares and all) owes its existence to the jeep 392 and the jeep 392 owes its existence to the bronco and bronco raptor.
cheers
No, the Bronco Raptor owes its existence to the F150 Raptor just like the the Ranger Raptor will.
Sponsored