Sponsored

Battery Maintainer/Tender and Battery Management System.

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm about to charge my battery after sitting for a couple of weeks. Looking at a chart it looks like its at 12.2 volts which equates to 60 percent.

My question for anybody that knows... is it possible to hook a tender to the Bronco without disconnecting the negative terminal?

In the Bronco owner's manual it states the following, and it sure seems like a lot to have to go through to keep the battery charged up.

Anybody have experience with this???

Battery Management System Limitations

After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time, your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition switched off.
Note: Prior to relearning the battery state of charge, the battery management system could temporarily disable some electrical systems.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Owl

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
No problems with the electrical system on the Bronco? That is -- it just works, and no problem with the Bronco having to relearn anything?

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm about to charge my battery after sitting for a couple of weeks. Looking at a chart it looks like its at 12.2 volts which equates to 60 percent.

My question for anybody that knows... is it possible to hook a tender to the Bronco without disconnecting the negative terminal?

In the Bronco owner's manual it states the following, and it sure seems like a lot to have to go through to keep the battery charged up.

Anybody have experience with this???

Battery Management System Limitations

After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time, your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition switched off.
Note: Prior to relearning the battery state of charge, the battery management system could temporarily disable some electrical systems.
I believe that references charging a battery out-of-the-car, but I'm willing to be corrected by someone who knows with more certainty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used to attach it with the alligator clamps at night during winter. I wasnt driving much. This season i might just bolt on a permanent lead.

ANYWAY, you can clamp the red pos lead to any available pos terminal space on the battery BUT for the Neg black lead you want to clip or bolt that lead to the far end of the battery minder attached to the negative terminal, so the charge runs across the minder. There's a metal tag to the right of this that I always clip onto.

Bronco has battery maintenance system that you don't want to bypass when you charge battery, that's why you don't charge directly to negative battery terminal.

Others can explain more. There's a video around here too I'll try to find

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I used to attach it with the alligator clamps at night during winter. I wasnt driving much. This season i might just bolt on a permanent lead.

ANYWAY, you can clamp the red pos lead to any available pos terminal space on the battery BUT for the Neg black lead you want to clip or bolt that lead to the far end of the battery minder attached to the negative terminal, so the charge runs across the minder. There's a metal tag to the right of this that I always clip onto.

Bronco has battery maintenance system that you don't want to bypass when you charge battery, that's why you don't charge directly to negative battery terminal.

Others can explain more. There's a video around here too I'll try to find
100% correct. There’s a YouTube video that shows this on the F150 with the same chip.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
100% correct. There’s a YouTube video that shows this on the F150 with the same chip.
Yeah, I can't find it... lazy and I didn't save it. Maybe others have it. It was good info

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think this is it. 13 min mark

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP
Owl

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks in regard to the video (minute 13) on how to properly connect a battery charger/maintainer on the other side of the negative sensor so that the Ford battery monitor system can register it.

Much appreciated.

BitterBronco

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those who don't mind spending a little more on a quality name-brand product:

Battery Tender Plus - $58
For those who don't mind spending a little more on a quality name-brand product:

Battery Tender Plus - $58
I put my Bronco away for the winter and use this battery maintainer all winter.

There’s a battery measurement sensor doohicky on one of the terminals. Just have to make sure that you connect outside that sensor so it gives you an accurate power charge level. Otherwise, 10/10