Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Makes sense. We didn't really consider 4A because we hardly ever drive in snow or ice, so it just didn't seem necessary.

Also, as I understand it, the "poor man's limited-slip", as you call it (good name, btw) doesn't work in 4L, correct?
Good question. I don't know the answer.

Just read this thread, now I'm more confused myself.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...have-limited-slip-or-be-completely-open.3743/

Our Broncos have Ford's AdvanceTrac system. It was my understanding that one of the things AdvanceTrac does is what others call "brake lock differential." That means applying brakes on a wheel experiencing excessive wheelspin. Perhaps I assumed too much, the owner's manual doesn't say as much about it as I thought it would (not that I could find anyway).

Perfectly believable that it would be disabled in 4L, wouldn't surprise me. Maybe it would likely engage too often and overheat the brakes if used offroad. if anyone knows for sure, please chime in.
Sponsored

m_martin53

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Delivered last August after an 8 month wait, hemmed and hawed about the wheel/tire combo to upgrade to (mostly street use, limited offroad). Finally pulled the trigger after the Everglades wheel kit came out recently, and so glad I waited! Put 35" Toyo AT3's on with a 2" lift + running boards. So happy.

Before:

IMG_3774.jpg

After:

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg
Few questions about your rig. I have a 4dr base 2.7 auto.

1. I know you said 35s but are they 12.5 wide?
2. What size wheel? 17x8.5 or
3. Motor and gearing combo?
4. How is driving with the bigger tires?
5. Crash bars still there or did you remove?

Thanks for posting. I can’t seem to make up my mind if I want to start with the 285/75r17s or go all out for the 35x12.5x17s. 35s look awesome but I don’t want it to suffer too much before I’m able to re-gear.

R8RWD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Few questions about your rig. I have a 4dr base 2.7 auto.

1. I know you said 35s but are they 12.5 wide?
2. What size wheel? 17x8.5 or
3. Motor and gearing combo?
4. How is driving with the bigger tires?
5. Crash bars still there or did you remove?

Thanks for posting. I can’t seem to make up my mind if I want to start with the 285/75r17s or go all out for the 35x12.5x17s. 35s look awesome but I don’t want it to suffer too much before I’m able to re-gear.
In addition to these questions: can you post where you bought the rims and the exact brand and spec of tire that you purchased? I'd like to replicate your order - thanks

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It will do fine off-road, some folks here are way over equipping their vehicles. Half of Sas Broncos probably rarely if ever leave pavement. Before all this extra stuff was easily available OEM, people were off-roading without lockers, ultra low gearing, etc.
Absolutely correct. A basic 4x4 truck with new AT tires will get you a lot of places. Thinking back to my '98 Ranger which had none of this hardware but served our family well for 20 years.

I don't own a base but one of the biggest myths here is that it's not capable. You don't need 37's and a sway bar disconnect to leave the pavement :LOL:

Sponsored

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks great! I have Everglades wheels on the way and 35" KO2s waiting at Discount Tire.

I think the Everglades wheel is the best option for more aggressive/retro look while keeping OEM fitment (not needing hub rings, worrying about strength of lightweight aftermarket options). Sure we'll have more spray with non-sas flares. My stock 33" KO2s already spray mud everywhere.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to help with the new combo, Jake! If you need for us to look into anything for you, feel free to shoot us a DM here on the forum.

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm generally not a fan of oversized tires sticking out all over, but you made the right decision with the 35's and reasonable poke. Because those stock base tires are ridiculous, lol. Not sure how I'd off-road with those. If my base 2-door ever arrives, I'll likewise be swapping to something in the 33-35 range.
It actually does remarkably well in everything except mud in my experience. Since 90% of my driving is done on pavement I like the quiet and smooth ride of the tiny stock tires :cool:

OP
OP

ucbmiles

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Base 4D
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In addition to these questions: can you post where you bought the rims and the exact brand and spec of tire that you purchased? I'd like to replicate your order - thanks
Sure thing. Answers:

1. they are actually 315/70R17 which are 34.5” I believe. So not true 35. Those were another ~$50 per tire and didn’t seem worth it as the aesthetics and performance wouldn’t have been a big difference.
2. Wheels are 17x8.5
3. Motor is 2.3 and whatever stock gearing comes with that. Holding off on any gearing changes unless I suddenly decide to become a frequent off-roader (not likely but who knows)
4. Driving so far has been only around town and the ride has been great. Increase in road noise is minimal. My research said that the AT3s were the most “streetable” and so far so good on that.
5. Crash bars - 4WP has a big tire crash bar kit for ~$200. So went with that. Probably could’ve kept the stock crash bars with the 2” lift but had read good things about the 4WP product.

And the rims were bought from Ford direct, shipped to a local dealer and installed at my local tire/service shop. Tires are Toyo Open Country ATIII LT315/70R17. Rims here:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1007K-P1785E

Last edited:

refade1

Base
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sure thing. Answers:

1. they are actually 315/70R17 which are 34.5” I believe. So not true 35. Those were another ~$50 per tire and didn’t seem worth it as the aesthetics and performance wouldn’t have been a big difference.
2. Wheels are 17x8.5
3. Motor is 2.3 and whatever stock gearing comes with that. Holding off on any gearing changes unless I suddenly decide to become a frequent off-roaster (not likely but who knows)
4. Driving so far has been only around town and the ride has been great. Increase in road noise is minimal. My research said that the AT3s were the most “streetable” and so far so good on that.
5. Crash bars - 4WP has a big tire crash bar kit for ~$200. So went with that. Probably could’ve kept the stock crash bars with the 2” lift but had read good things about the 4WP product.

And the rims were bought from Ford direct, shipped to a local dealer and installed at my local tire/service shop. Tires are Toyo Open Country ATIII LT315/70R17. Rims here:

10 speed automatic or manual?

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the Advanced Transfer Case, and specifically bought the Black Diamond trim because it's the lowest trim level that allows that option. I can tell my daughters, "Just put it in 4A if the weather is bad." And not worry about the Bronco being damaged with them running in 4H on the road. Essentially, 4A lets you drive your Bronco as if it's a CRV or Rav4, 4WD on demand. It's just not a key off-road feature, as I understand it.
My Base was optioned with Advanced 4wd.

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It continues to amaze me how much good a lift, wheels, and tires does for the look of the Bronco. It's almost like the base was designed to beg to be lifted. Looks badass! :love:

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Base was optioned with Advanced 4wd.
I assume you have the Sasquatch package? Sorry, I should have clarified. You get the Advanced Transfer Case whenever you get the Sasquatch package. Which you can get on any trim level.

Black Diamond is the lowest trim level for which you can get the Advanced Transfer Case *without* getting Sasquatch.

m_martin53

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sure thing. Answers:

2. Wheels are 17x8.5
3. Motor is 2.3 and whatever stock gearing comes with that. Holding off on any gearing changes unless I suddenly decide to become a frequent off-roader (not likely but who knows)

Thank you!
Sponsored