Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking to purchase a portable air compressor setup that won’t break the bank. I am gearing up for what I’d need to drive on the beach for fishing and pretty quickly learned my small air compressor that uses my cigarette lighter won’t cut it. I’d love to do a dual ARB setup down the line but that’s simply too much $$$ for the time being. What setups for ideally $100-200 could I go with? I don’t mind the added time of doing one tire at a time until I get a four hose setup, but some like Tricky Dick’s say they require it. I will say it’s fairly compelling with the total setup being approximately $200, although that’s still more than I anticipated. Originally was looking at the Viair 88 and then 300, but have seen some people say those won’t cut it for the stock badlands tire sizes. Also would eventually like to upgrade from my 33s to 35s so am bearing that in mind. Also eyed the Morrflate offerings as people seem to love those, but looks like another option that’ll require a hose kit. Final one I saw was the Thors Lightning that seems like it won’t need a hose setup from the get go at least.

Any help is appreciated!

Update: just purchased a used Viair 450p from someone selling their RV for $50. Should be picking it up tomorrow and diving in then. Definitely will still be doing the quad setup but have loved hearing how bulletproof the Viair offerings are. Hoping I can mimic the under hood mount someone did on their Bronco with the 450c.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just use my Dewalt 20v portable inflator.

If you have a battery tool system already, get the inflator offered for your preferred brand.

One advantage the Dewalt has (others may have it too, I haven't looked) is it can run off a 12v cigarette lighter should you not have or run down your batteries.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even a 2 way hose will take the stress off the compressor and those are just $40. PM me and I can work with you on pricing.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pittsburg air inflator from Harbor Freight and a good book.
If Mike is offering to work with you on pricing for their 2 cylinder setup, I would totally do that.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When I was looking at an inflation system a couple of years ago, the Smittybilt 2781 was the best overall value. Mine cost around $150, but their website shows it at just over $200. Other web sites show it at around $160.

Mine can inflate four Sasquatch tires from 20 psi to 39 psi in ten minutes. I've timed it a bunch of times and it consistently fills them in that time. But I have a 4-tire inflator/deflator system, so they all get done at once. It cost me another $150 or so to build that out of random parts.

I drop pressure in my tires whenever I get to the dirt areas and leave them at 20 psi until I get back to pavement. It improves both traction and ride quality. I haven't spent much time in sand, but when aired down I have had no traction issues in the little bit of sand that I've driven in.

One photo of my setup:
r5x6GhX.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
JTBros

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just use my Dewalt 20v portable inflator.

If you have a battery tool system already, get the inflator offered for your preferred brand.

One advantage the Dewalt has (others may have it too, I haven't looked) is it can run off a 12v cigarette lighter should you not have or run down your batteries.
I have the Ryobi suite of tools so can look into what they offer that’s similar.
Even a 2 way hose will take the stress off the compressor and those are just $40. PM me and I can work with you on pricing.
Definitely appreciate it. Does the “Complete 4 Way with Gauge” have four hoses and everything I’d need? Currently leaning this direction?

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Ryobi suite of tools so can look into what they offer that’s similar.

Definitely appreciate it. Does the “Complete 4 Way with Gauge” have four hoses and everything I’d need? Currently leaning this direction?
It gets you 2 hoses that split to 4 chucks.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is what a proper inflator/deflator system should look like in use. Four chucks, two hoses leading off from the main air pressure gauge and each of those hoses having two chucks on them. Yeah, it's faster to inflate all four at once, but the biggest advantage is that when you let the air out all four tires will have equal pressure.
Qy2mYdK.jpg

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can be had for under $5 on TEMU
Easy to store, requires no batteries or electrical connection. May develop upper body strength.

Last edited:

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know the bags that come with yours are kinda crappy. Do you know of a good bag (or hard box) that fits the compressor w/ 4 tire hoses?

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the Tricky Flate compressor and it's a beast. I know TD said to not use it one tire at a time but I've done that quite a bit and haven't burnt it up yet. Just make sure you turn it off between tires (don't leave it running as you move from one tire to the next). That said, I do have one of Tricky's 2-tire hoses and that does make it a bit more convenient to do 2 at a time (and is probably better for the compressor).

OP
OP
JTBros

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Tricky Flate compressor and it's a beast. I know TD said to not use it one tire at a time but I've done that quite a bit and haven't burnt it up yet. Just make sure you turn it off between tires (don't leave it running as you move from one tire to the next). That said, I do have one of Tricky's 2-tire hoses and that does make it a bit more convenient to do 2 at a time (and is probably better for the compressor).
Appreciate the insight. Glad to see it’s solid in real world usage.

@Tricky Mike was there any other developments on the mount in the cargo area? The box you mentioned looks solid but having it stored fully out of the way would be great. Also can the compressor be used for one tire on occasion? Thinking situations where a patch is needed or one tire is low.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cost-benefit, the 2-hose setups are the best bang for the buck. If you get one of the higher PSI varieties, I'd argue the total put-up/inflate/teardown time is very similar, at less than half the price of the four wheel versions.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the insight. Glad to see it’s solid in real world usage.

@Tricky Mike was there any other developments on the mount in the cargo area? The box you mentioned looks solid but having it stored fully out of the way would be great. Also can the compressor be used for one tire on occasion? Thinking situations where a patch is needed or one tire is low.
1 tire occasionally is fine, you just want to follow a run 5/off 5 duty cycle to control the heat build up.

I decided not to offer the mounts, I couldn't get it stable enough for my liking. Thor's has them but the are pricey.
Sponsored