Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd definitely be curious to what they say, they even called me to tell me it shipped (which was kinda awesome, don't see that much anymore) and I mentioned to them I had their quad already and loved it for my Tacoma. I told them I am going to try to perm mount it in the engine bay of the Bronco and he said he would love to see pictures if I can make it work. 🤷‍♂️
I just emailed him to get their feedback. Because portable compressors are not designed to be ran under hoods or in environments like that. There's a lot of water/crap that gets thrown around in the engine bay and portable air compressors are not as sealed as an on-board one. Even the ViAIR air compressors have PORTABLE versions and then ONBOARD versions for a reason.

Just don't want to see you go through all that work to ruin an air compressor's life expectancy.
Sponsored

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just emailed him to get their feedback. Because portable compressors are not designed to be ran under hoods or in environments like that. There's a lot of water/crap that gets thrown around in the engine bay and portable air compressors are not as sealed as an on-board one. Even the ViAIR air compressors have PORTABLE versions and then ONBOARD versions for a reason.

Just don't want to see you go through all that work to ruin an air compressor's life expectancy.
Absolutely and I appreciate it too. That was definitely a concern especially with the fancy autoset controls. If they do come back saying it should be good I think the grimm offroad mount will get me 90% there, but this compressor is almost 4" longer than the ARB dual and mounts differently so I would essentially need to remake the "cage" they wrap around the compressor but other than that it looks like it should fit.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd definitely be curious to what they say, they even called me to tell me it shipped (which was kinda awesome, don't see that much anymore) and I mentioned to them I had their quad already and loved it for my Tacoma. I told them I am going to try to perm mount it in the engine bay of the Bronco and he said he would love to see pictures if I can make it work. 🤷‍♂️
My rep just emailed me back and told me he does not recommend putting their portable air compressor in the engine bay.

No the grimm mount will NOT work, even if you wanted to tackle it. None of the compressor brackets on the market will work with a portable air compressor. They are all designed to work with a Twin compressor.

Since we have a patent pending design on our mount Grimm mounts the ARB compressor different then we do, vertically (similar to what SDHQ does). There is no way you can utilize that to mount a portable air compressor, it won't even fit in the opening.

And the portable compressors are too big to mount on ours. The ARB twin doesn't sit that high don't forget, so the hood can close. But your portable (and most portables) sit higher up.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My rep just emailed me back and told me he does not recommend putting their portable air compressor in the engine bay.

No the grimm mount will NOT work, even if you wanted to tackle it. None of the compressor brackets on the market will work with a portable air compressor. They are all designed to work with a Twin compressor.

Since we have a patent pending design on our mount Grimm mounts the ARB compressor different then we do, vertically (similar to what SDHQ does). There is no way you can utilize that to mount a portable air compressor, it won't even fit in the opening.

And the portable compressors are too big to mount on ours. The ARB twin doesn't sit that high don't forget, so the hood can close. But your portable (and most portables) sit higher up.
Yeah I already stated that I would essentially need to remake the cage to accommodate the extra length. I'd also need to create a bottom that mounted in between the cage that the compressor would sit on and essentially mount to. When mounted vertically I measured that i would have at least 2-3" of space between the compressor top and the hood. The only thing that would be reused on the Grimm mount would be the mounting points in the engine bay.

I had no idea SDHQ also had a vertical mount. That would actually take far less re-fabrication to mount this compressor now that I looked at that design. I'd only need to weld a bottom to it to mount the compressor to that would be more than strong enough.

That's a bummer about what your rep said though, I will reach out to who told me it can be mounted under the hood and see why mixed information is being delivered to customers.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah I already stated that I would essentially need to remake the cage to accommodate the extra length. I'd also need to create a bottom that mounted in between the cage that the compressor would sit on and essentially mount to. When mounted vertically I measured that i would have at least 2-3" of space between the compressor top and the hood. The only thing that would be reused on the Grimm mount would be the mounting points in the engine bay.

I had no idea SDHQ also had a vertical mount. That would actually take far less re-fabrication to mount this compressor now that I looked at that design. I'd only need to weld a bottom to it to mount the compressor to that would be more than strong enough.

That's a bummer about what your rep said though, I will reach out to who told me it can be mounted under the hood and see why mixed information is being delivered to customers.
Why not just get our KR Off-Road Kit w/ARB Compressor. You save 10% on the entire kit and it's an onboard solution.

Portable air compressors are meant to be that, portable, not mounted to something.

Sponsored

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why not just get our KR Off-Road Kit w/ARB Compressor. You save 10% on the entire kit and it's an onboard solution.

Portable air compressors are meant to be that, portable, not mounted to something.
Mostly because the ARB is twice the price, half the speed, and doesn't have the features the Morrflate has when combined with their hose. And I literally already have the compressor.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mostly because the ARB is twice the price, half the speed, and doesn't have the features the Morrflate has when combined with their hose. And I literally already have the compressor.
The ARB isn't half the speed. where did you get that info from?

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The ARB isn't half the speed. where did you get that info from?
"This beast will take care of all of your portable off road air needs. Twice as fast as Smittybilt 2781s, and 58% faster than a Twin ARB! The big story that makes the TenSix™ shine, is what happens when you combine it with a MORRFlate 4 Tire Kit™:"

https://morrflate.com/shop/air-sources/portable-compressors/morrflate-tensix-psi-pro-12v-compressor/

But of course manufacturer sites can be potentially incorrect or based on theoretical numbers, I would love to do a real world test on the same set of tires comparing the two with the same setup. I have several buddies with ARB Twins so I might do it for science. 🤓

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

"This beast will take care of all of your portable off road air needs. Twice as fast as Smittybilt 2781s, and 58% faster than a Twin ARB! The big story that makes the TenSix™ shine, is what happens when you combine it with a MORRFlate 4 Tire Kit™:"

https://morrflate.com/shop/air-sources/portable-compressors/morrflate-tensix-psi-pro-12v-compressor/

But of course manufacturer sites can be potentially incorrect or based on theoretical numbers, I would love to do a real world test on the same set of tires comparing the two with the same setup. I have several buddies with ARB Twins so I might do it for science. 🤓
I mean I could do one today. I have a TenSix sitting here :)

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'd be curious for sure. This video makes it seem like they are comparable in speed, they cut off before it actually hit 35 psi but my test was super similar. 15 psi to 35 psi on stock 35's.

So maybe same speed?

Sponsored

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This test shows quite a disparity:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We just tested this on our own truck

37x13.50 Tires
15 PSI to 35 PSI

MORRFlate TenSix: 1 minute, 40 seconds
ARB Twin: 1 minute, 40 seconds

Soooo they air up in the same time.

The drawback to the MORRFlate TenSix is that they DO want you to use a multi-tire inflation kit, so that the back pressure from a single tire does not damage the compressor.

The positive is that it's portable, cheaper and you can pre-set a PSI. The compressor turns off every so often to read the pressure.

The downside is that is does take up some space as it's pretty large.

The upside to the ARB Twin under the hood is that it's ready to go and out of the way.
Downside is the price of course. It's a BIT more then the Portables.

cynicalrider

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First gen taco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This test shows quite a disparity:

I was scrubbing the video but wasn't sure if he said the tires on the rigs are exactly the same size?

We just tested this on our own truck

37x13.50 Tires
15 PSI to 35 PSI

MORRFlate TenSix: 1 minute, 40 seconds
ARB Twin: 1 minute, 40 seconds

Soooo they air up in the same time.

The drawback to the MORRFlate TenSix is that they DO want you to use a multi-tire inflation kit, so that the back pressure from a single tire does not damage the compressor.

The positive is that it's portable, cheaper and you can pre-set a PSI. The compressor turns off every so often to read the pressure.

The downside is that is does take up some space as it's pretty large.

The upside to the ARB Twin under the hood is that it's ready to go and out of the way.
Downside is the price of course. It's a BIT more then the Portables.
Single tire test? But agree the not being able to use it 1 tire at a time thing does suck if for some reason your quad kit failed on you. Basically will need the compressor to cool off and rest a bit between tires to not damage it. Lots of great discussion in here comparing the two.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My twin ARB inflates each of my tires in less than a minute. NO portable inflator does that.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was scrubbing the video but wasn't sure if he said the tires on the rigs are exactly the same size?

Single tire test? But agree the not being able to use it 1 tire at a time thing does suck if for some reason your quad kit failed on you. Basically will need the compressor to cool off and rest a bit between tires to not damage it. Lots of great discussion in here comparing the two.
Yeah I did the same. I know the 2nd truck (not his) had 38" tires. But Im not sure what size HIS tires were. If he has 33" tires for example that's a big difference.

I only did one single tire at a time. I guess maybe when we're slow i'll try with the multi-tire kit. It takes time to air down my 37's though which is why I ony did the 1 tire.

Although with the Staun Tire deflators I use, i don't have to monitor it.
Sponsored