Sponsored

Best oil brand to use for the 2.7 liter?

sdollar

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone done research on what the best brand of oil to use for the 2.7 liter?
Sponsored

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

🍿

Man I love oil threads.

But seriously, I don’t know that it matters too much. I use Mobil 1. I figure if it’s good enough for Porsche, it’s good enough for Ford.

Last edited:

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All oil brands have fan boyz and haters. I think a big part of this is that most oils are synthetic now, and oil quality has come a long way. When was the last time you heard of anyone having an engine failure due to the oil breaking down or sludging up? ;)

giphy.gif

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
🍿

Man I love oil threads.

But seriously, I don’t know that it matters too much. I use Mobile 1. I figure if it’s good enough for Porsche, it’s good enough for Ford.
Mobil 1?!?! That swill, I wouldn't put that in ANYTHING!

Except, that I actually love Mobil 1 and put it in everything. The price and availability helps as well, and I haven't used anything else in over 20 years. The only exception is that I might use Motorex for my new KTM, since they use it from the factory and it is such a small yet high powered engine ;)

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did some research and decided to go with AMSOIL. I think that it is a matter of figure out what you like and use that. I do use Mobil One in my other vehicles including my 2005 Cayenne.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Brand has nothing to do with it. Specs is what you need to pay attention to.

Just for example, pennzoyl platinum needs Ford's spec. Pennzoyl platinum ultra does not.

Pay more attention to the specs, and not worry so much about the brand (as long as you're going with one of the leading brands).

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Last edited:

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Brand has nothing to do with it. Specs is what you need to pay attention to.

Just for example, pennzoyl platinum needs Ford's spec. Pennzoyl platinum ultra does not.

Pay more attention to the specs, and not worry so much about the brand (as long as you're going with one of the leading brands).
Yep- pretty much what I do. Make sure proper viscosity and specification is used. For the Bronco I would go full synthetic although the Ford 5W-30 part synthetic is fine too. I would also pay more attention to changing the oil and changing it when it is needed. Not going to mention miles- depends on too many factors.

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
interestingly, while i always use full synthetic, in my manual it calls for the motorcraft synthetic blend. i'll probably go with that just to stick to their specs

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep- pretty much what I do. Make sure proper viscosity and specification is used. For the Bronco I would go full synthetic although the Ford 5W-30 part synthetic is fine too
interestingly, while i always use full synthetic, in my manual it calls for the motorcraft synthetic blend. i'll probably go with that just to stick to their specs
I run the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blends in all my Fords but change at 5k instead of the higher increments in the maintenance schedule.

Side note.
Motorcraft oil is produced by ConcoPhillips who also produce Phillips66, Kendall and RedLine products. The MotorCraft Synthetic Blend 5W-30 specs closely resemble the 5W-30 Phillips66-Shield Choice synthetic blend whose specs are identical to the 5W-30 Kendall GT-1 HP synthetic blend. So, while I was about to assume that the MotorCraft oil was just a rebrand of a parent company product, I couldn't find a product that matched spec for spec. So it seems that CP manufactures a synthetic blend specifically to meet Ford specs (at least 5W-30, as I didn't compare other weights). On the other hand, Phillips 66 SC and Kendal GT-1 HP appear to be the exact same product. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to use either the Kendall or Phillips products if your local parts store happens to be out of MotorCraft as the specs are very very close.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've used the Valvoline Extended Performance from the Walmarket. It's been very affordable and runs well. I have a huge closet of oil to go through. Historically, I have really like GTL base oils like Pennzoil Platinum as well.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I put Liqui-Moly Molygen in. Have been using them or Motul in my BMW for a while and they had a oil with Ford's spec. It's weird looking stuff, has a UV dye to locate leaks so it is green like antifreeze.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I put Liqui-Moly Molygen in. Have been using them or Motul in my BMW for a while and they had a oil with Ford's spec. It's weird looking stuff, has a UV dye to locate leaks so it is green like antifreeze.
Second this, just picked up molygen, lots of data suggesting legitimately worth the extra $ (popcorn eaters just keep eating). And ronin oil plug conversion

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run Schaefer’s supreme 9000. We run nothing but Schaefer stuff on our farm and it’s been good to us.
Sponsored