Sponsored

Bike Rack that clears without an extension?

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is there a bike rack that clears properly without an extension? Mine is a Big Bend but I have a lift and 35in spare on the back. Thanks
Sponsored

Just Ice

Wildtrak
First Name
Jessica Justice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is there a bike rack that clears properly without an extension? Mine is a Big Bend but I have a lift and 35in spare on the back. Thanks
I'm also looking for a bike rack that fits without an extension. I'm worried that a 4-bike carrier plus an extension will put too much leverage on the hitch. I was thinking I'd rather take off the spare tire than use an extension.

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm also looking for a bike rack that fits without an extension. I'm worried that a 4-bike carrier plus an extension will put too much leverage on the hitch. I was thinking I'd rather take off the spare tire than use an extension.
4 bikes will NOT put any excess leverage on any 4 bike carrier or the actual hitch for that matter.even if the bikes were heavy - 200lbs is NOTHING for a hitch that is designed to tow/pull 3,500lbs.

I have the KUAT 2 bike rack, buddy has a 4 with no issues. I have a 7 inch hitch extension on mine and it clears the spare tire perfectly.

Happycampinman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I use the Yakima bike rack with a extension to clear the spare. Total weight of rack and bikes comes no where near the point where I have to worry about undo leverage.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've measured and need a 4" extension for my trailer to clear the spare and bike rack to clear the mount. The shortest I can find is 7" long though. Has anyone found a 4" extension?

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm looking for a bike rack that can hold two bikes and just attach directly to the spare tire.

Does such a thing exist?

Ford wouldn't let me order a hitch when I ordered my 2-door Base Sasquatch, and I'm not sure I want to bother adding a hitch just to carry bikes.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm looking for a bike rack that can hold two bikes and just attach directly to the spare tire.

Does such a thing exist?

Ford wouldn't let me order a hitch when I ordered my 2-door Base Sasquatch, and I'm not sure I want to bother adding a hitch just to carry bikes.
Just a hitch without any wiring or trying to replicate the factory tow package is very easy. There may even be ones that you can attach that are already rearward enough that you don't need an extension for your bike rack to clear the spare and its mount.

emoty-c

Big Bend
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco?
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hollywood SR1 Spare Tire Rack should work. I am using an old rhode gear one I bought on eBay. You have to look for old spare tire racks which don’t bolt to The tire

Just Ice

Wildtrak
First Name
Jessica Justice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
https://www.etrailer.com/question-350692.html

Expert Reply:
A trailer hitch extender, such as the Curt # C45791 for 8 inches of extension, can be used with your Thule swinging bike rack like the Apex Swing# TH9027XT. You just need to keep in mind that using a hitch adapter will reduce the trailer hitch capacity on your truck by 50 percent. For example if your hitch has a tongue weight capacity of 350 pounds this will be reduced to 175 pounds when using the adapter.

You just need to be sure that the combined tongue weight of the carrier itself and the loaded bikes doesn't exceed the reduced number.

There are other hitch type adapters that don't work well with Thule carriers because of the anti-rattle design that many of them have to secure to the hitch. This is only an issue with adapters that actually sit inside the hitch receiver (such as a sleeve reducing a 2-1/2 inch receiver to a 2 inch opening).

As long as you remain under the reduced capacity of your an extender is a perfect solution to gain clearance with your truck camper. I have attached a link that will take you to our complete selection of extenders that you can look through as well.
expert reply by: Chris R

The tongue weight of my Curt 13493 hitch is 350. Add the above mentioned extender and I’m good for 175 lbs. Our 4 mountain bikes combined weigh roughly 115 lbs. So I have 60 lbs left, which isn’t enough for most of the nicer bike carriers I’d want.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although you're looking for one without an extension, I recommend getting a swing-out extension if that's the course you need to take. It makes your life so much easier for accessing the cargo area.

I did a write-up on B6G for my setup, which can be found here.

Sponsored

BuyBronco?

Black Diamond
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Will the tire mount and door handle the extra weight from a spare tire mount bike rack?

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got the 1 up superduty bike rack that holds 2 bikes with the extension to clear and there’s been no issues

9F7AC337-A605-4035-923D-4B535AE86AD9.jpeg

OP
OP
Slick85

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I got the 1 up superduty bike rack that holds 2 bikes with the extension to clear and there’s been no issues

Ford Bronco Bike Rack that clears without an extension? 9F7AC337-A605-4035-923D-4B535AE86AD9
So you do or do not need an extension?

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Will the tire mount and door handle the extra weight from a spare tire mount bike rack?
I figure that a rack, my bike, and my wife's bike would be less than 100 pounds total. I don't see that as a significant increase in weight. And I would only ever use it on smooth roads, not to haul up into the hills on rough roads.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So you do or do not need an extension?
I did bye the extension to clear the Sasquatch spare tire works perfect and it’s not bending or putting any stress on the hitch
Sponsored