Black Bear Pass crash

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow that was hard. as dark as this is going to sound (and I don't mean it to be) I am glad she was thrown out and didn't ride that all the way down. She may not have made it out at all the other way.
I shared the Gofundme on my FB, so hopefully this family can recover and be ok in the end.
It could happen to any of us, so be safe and be situationally aware. There is nothing wrong with being cautious and prepared out there.
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd do it, my wife would probably opt to walk in a few places, "want me to get out"....: )

trail turn would definitely assist, but as stated earlier, it also might have got that driver right in the right place at the wrong time....yikes
I thought the same thing about my wife last year until she asked to drive down Black Bear Pass. We were in her grand Cherokee and after putting it into rock crawl mode w/ suspension 2 setting, off we went. It's not a difficult trail if you're smart, hug the walls, take your time and let your passenger take on the scenic views. I've even ran it in my f150 super crew. But there are definitely consequences if you don't take it serious.

Last I heard, the female passenger who was thrown from the jeep was paralyzed from waist down.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The Black Bear Pass/Imogene Pass loop is beautiful. The switchbacks are a bit scary, but I am looking forward to using turn assist to make it around with room to spare! When stopping, I always put a rock under one of my tires when I get out to supplement my brakes on steeper sections to keep this from happening.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pic of the aftermath

6B3E3C1C-E1A0-4B53-A375-807C86077073.jpeg

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Black Bear Pass/Imogene Pass loop is beautiful. The switchbacks are a bit scary, but I am looking forward to using turn assist to make it around with room to spare! When stopping, I always put a rock under one of my tires when I get out to supplement my brakes on steeper sections to keep this from happening.
Its my understanding that trail assist doesnt work at slower (the speed you would be going at that first hairpin turn) speeds.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are comments on YouTube;
Driver stopped the Jeep to get out to help another make a sharp turn, put the brake on and left it in gear. Gear shift popped, or just gravity, and the brake didn’t hold, he tried to get back in and got tossed, female passenger got ejected early, she is recovering in the hospital, two dogs also in the vehicle were recovered and they are ok.
If the guy filming hadn’t backed up to make that turn, he would have been in the path. Very crazy incident.

more info;
https://www.thedrive.com/news/37023...e-after-falling-off-colorados-black-bear-pass
from the reports, it's quite unclear that the transmission was left in gear.
Sponsored