First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 volvo 242
Your Bronco Model
Base
Changing from Base to Black Diamond! MT with 2 doors, and pull those back seats the very first day. I am 58 and any financial planer would tell me to pay down my mortgage but what the hell, might as well go all in, what is an extra $8,000 ? Really can not live without the Cactus Grey more then anything. The extra off-road features hit the sweet spot for me, hardcore off-road is best done with a beater rig in my opinion. Anyone heard of the Gamble 500? Just a couple random thoughts -
  • A good used Tacoma with 50,000 miles runs $30,000 now, what the hell?
  • Rear lockers!
  • Rubber floors!
  • Bigger tires!
  • Vinyl seats!
  • Cactus Grey!
So is all this worth that extra money? Probably not but this is once in a life time so do it right. I plan on 50% down, baby this rig and in the event of a life crisis I can bail out with a little money in my pocket.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Changing from Base to Black Diamond! MT with 2 doors, and pull those back seats the very first day. I am 58 and any financial planer would tell me to pay down my mortgage but what the hell, might as well go all in, what is an extra $8,000 ? Really can not live without the Cactus Grey more then anything. The extra off-road features hit the sweet spot for me, hardcore off-road is best done with a beater rig in my opinion. Anyone heard of the Gamble 500? Just a couple random thoughts -
  • Rear lockers!
  • Rubber floors!
  • Bigger tires!
  • Vinyl seats!
  • Cactus Grey!
So is all this worth that extra money? Probably not but this is once in a life time so do it right. I plan on 50% down, baby this rig and in the event of a life crisis I can bail out with a little money in my pocket.
I'm in the same place...except Area 51 instead of Cactus Gray. I like the locker, bumper, tires and color availability over the Base. These things are probably not worth 7K over the Base but what the hell, I'm not getting any younger. I might still go Base if I can get a locker, but I'd have to get tires right away and settle for an available color.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

• Rear lockers!
  • Rubber floors!
  • Bigger tires!
  • Vinyl seats!
  • Cactus Grey!

Is buying a new vehicle ever financially sound? Neither is a lot of my hobbies, but there's a lot more to life than working to have money in the bank.

I buy new and keep for at least 10 years with some overlap with the next vehicle. Yeah, I'm going to overspend, but I'm going to get my money's worth out of it.

If the BD has more of the stuff that you will enjoy using every day, then it is money well spent. And don't baby it, treat it like a Bronco!

BumbleBeeTuna

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm in the same place...except Area 51 instead of Cactus Gray. I like the locker, bumper, tires and color availability over the Base. These things are probably not worth 7K over the Base but what the hell, I'm not getting any younger. I might still go Base if I can get a locker, but I'd have to get tires right away and settle for an available color.
I like your guys builds. I’m trying to do the EXACT same for my wife (I’ll live vicariously through her ownership).

if you guys actually add up the upgrades included on the BD it’s worth it over the base. Even if you did baseSquatch. (Which was my other dilemma)

for example, some comps on parts from a current 3rd gen Tacoma 4x4.

Front OR rear Locker $1,000 (includes ARB compressor + lines/install)
front bumper: $1300
Rear bumper: $1300
bash plate: $300-800 (front skid is $300 vs full package).
Seat covers $350-500 or Katskinz leather seats $1,000.

the 285s can come later after you burn through those 265s! Or maybe since they are LT rated you can chuck them for $500 on let it go/offer up.

Regardless, All those are above are aftermarket parts. The fact that it’s included and are OEM helps reduce time, install, powder coating, and technical issues with aftermarket parts.

I’ll just miss the front locker because I too am trying to stay under $45k OTD.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I like your guys builds. I’m trying to do the EXACT same for my wife (I’ll live vicariously through her ownership).

if you guys actually add up the upgrades included on the BD it’s worth it over the base. Even if you did baseSquatch. (Which was my other dilemma)

for example, some comps on parts from a current 3rd gen Tacoma 4x4.

Front OR rear Locker $1,000 (includes ARB compressor + lines/install)
front bumper: $1300
Rear bumper: $1300
bash plate: $300-800 (front skid is $300 vs full package).
Seat covers $350-500 or Katskinz leather seats $1,000.

the 285s can come later after you burn through those 265s! Or maybe since they are LT rated you can chuck them for $500 on let it go/offer up.

Regardless, All those are above are aftermarket parts. The fact that it’s included and are OEM helps reduce time, install, powder coating, and technical issues with aftermarket parts.

I’ll just miss the front locker because I too am trying to stay under $45k OTD.
The issue is if you go after market....you have to fork up the $$ vs included in financing, and it’s not covered by warranty...

Sponsored

BumbleBeeTuna

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
The issue is if you go after market....you have to fork up the $$ vs included in financing, and it’s not covered by warranty...
Yes! My truck has been built up and hacked up. Def voided any warranties suspension or otherwise as I replaced a lot of components....

I was fortunate and paid out of pocket for my mods after I hustled the last year and paid it off. But overall, it’s a headache unless you don’t mind building/installing yourself. I just like that these mods are INCLUDED with the bronco. I was just trying to show a comparison by saying it’s worth it to include it all relative to the price increase.

having factory lockers and 33-35s are pretty much required with the type of off roading I like to do. I’m super stoked that ford included all the gripes that us basic off roaders have with current “off road” capable vehicles.

Anyway, all I’m saying is I’m now on the Black Diamond train for BANG for your buck. Other than a base w/Sasquatch!!!!

Grumpy Medusa

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in almost the exact same situation - 36yo +wife, 1 kid and a dog, 30min commute (will be the wife's daily driver as of now), weekend sports and rec, 2.3L Auto though having the 2.7 would be nice if the mpg doesn't change too much, love the Squatch look but I don't need it. Whether Area 51 or Cactus Grey is up to the wife.

Since we're a family of 3+dog we're debating the 2dr vs 4dr and I change my mind daily. A white hard top and an option to jump to 33s is all I'm hoping for. The stock BD w/ Mid option is pretty perfect for our needs.
I'm dying for the two door but with two kids in car seats I think it's literally impossible to get them into the two door.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you go the finance route you end up paying more long term because of the interest. Might be better to pay upfront if you can

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm dying for the two door but with two kids in car seats I think it's literally impossible to get them into the two door.
I hated have a 4 door manual locks when my daughter was born, a two door would’ve sucked so much more.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m in the same boat. My wife and I discussed it and she insisted on the 2 dr because it’s what I wanted. Thankfully we have a 4 dr car that will keep this situation as workable.

I’ll still have 2 car seats in the Bronco, but they’ll barely get used. When the Bronco gets delivered I’ll have a 3 and 5 year old. We’re close to being down to 1 full fledged car seat.

MannyFrescoSC

Badlands
First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Honda Accord, 18’ Jeep Compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is if you get the front locker you get the 210. 190 is the open.

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 8.48.11 PM.png
I need this to be a la cart and not “available w/Sasquatch Pkg”

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just a fun observation that I made in another thread. The below pic appears to be a wildtrak, since there is an empty slot for sway bar disco. I'm guessing BD w/manual will have 3 buttons, rear locker, traction control, and hazards, AND have 3 empty slots.

1597795434062.png

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you go the finance route you end up paying more long term because of the interest. Might be better to pay upfront if you can
“If you can” is the key phrase....still doesn’t resolve the issue of if you go aftermarket it won’t be covered by warranty...so take the cheap route and roll the dice?
Sponsored