Sponsored

Black Diamond NON SASQUATCH ground clearance height?

Winds of Change

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Obx SaS/2021 Bronco sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone have a real actual number on the Black Diamond NON SASQUATCH ground clearance? I am ordering one for 2024. But it shows the range of base 8.4 to whatever a SASQUATCH is. If it's truly 8.4 I might as well keep my Bronco Sport Badlands. It starts at 8.8 and I already added a 2.5 in lift. Which frankly makes it more capable imho.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Base ground clearance numbers are almost meaningless. Usually measured at a low point like a differential. Wha's important is how much stuff hangs how low. Although the Sport may measure near the regular Bronco, I'm sure it has a lot of tender stuff hanging lower than the regular. Then there's protection , skid plates. And approach, departure and breakover angles, which are all superior on the Bronco. The rear diff on the Bronco is the low point, and that's easy enough dodged with proper line picking. All that said the big Bronco fuel tank is ridiculously low.

Clearance of sprung items (everything but the rear axle and out board ends front lower control arms) can be increased by a lift as you have done on your Sport. But axles still hang low and suspension/drivetrain geometry can be adversely affected on both with a lift. I might think 2.5 inches on a Sport would fall into this category.

Clearance of everything can be increased with a larger diameter tire, which may or may not require a lift. With no low range to help off set gearing issues with a Sport this may be limited too.

Then there is tenderness of exposed components. Most Big Bronco Items are decently tough (steel, cast iron or heavy aluminum-LCAs) or skid plated (afore mentioned fuel tank on the 2 dr anyway) or can have plates added. Guessing the transaxle, differentials, fuel tank and unibody of the Sport are a bit tender.

Ground clearance is just one item in off road performance. The big Bronco's body on frame construction, improved breakover/approach/departure angles, low range, locked 4wd and general dynamic clearance will make it superior in difficult off road situations.

OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Base ground clearance numbers are almost meaningless. Usually measured at a low point like a differential. Wha's important is how much stuff hangs how low. Although the Sport may measure near the regular Bronco, I'm sure it has a lot of tender stuff hanging lower than the regular. Then there's protection , skid plates. And approach, departure and breakover angles, which are all superior on the Bronco. The rear diff on the Bronco is the low point, and that's easy enough dodged with proper line picking. All that said the big Bronco fuel tank is ridiculously low.

Clearance of sprung items (everything but the rear axle and out board ends front lower control arms) can be increased by a lift as you have done on your Sport. But axles still hang low and suspension/drivetrain geometry can be adversely affected on both with a lift. I might think 2.5 inches on a Sport would fall into this category.

Clearance of everything can be increased with a larger diameter tire, which may or may not require a lift. With no low range to help off set gearing issues with a Sport this may be limited too.

Then there is tenderness of exposed components. Most Big Bronco Items are decently tough (steel, cast iron or heavy aluminum-LCAs) or skid plated (afore mentioned fuel tank on the 2 dr anyway) or can have plates added. Guessing the transaxle, differentials, fuel tank and unibody of the Sport are a bit tender.

Ground clearance is just one item in off road performance. The big Bronco's body on frame construction, improved breakover/approach/departure angles, low range, locked 4wd and general dynamic clearance will make it superior in difficult off road situations.
You are correct. Buy when starting research it is a starting benchmark. I was just trying to gauge where 2 models are in comparison. Buy its irrelevant now as I am looking at a Obx SaS. If I buy anybody want to trade the side steps for sliders lol.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone have a real actual number on the Black Diamond NON SASQUATCH ground clearance? I am ordering one for 2024. But it shows the range of base 8.4 to whatever a SASQUATCH is. If it's truly 8.4 I might as well keep my Bronco Sport Badlands. It starts at 8.8 and I already added a 2.5 in lift. Which frankly makes it more capable imho.
The Bronco Sport is not more capable than the Bronco, even if there was a difference in height in favor of the Bronco Sport of 0.4".

The 8.4" clearance is the base model with a 30" tire. Add an inch to that for the Big Bend, Black Diamond, and even the Outer Banks Edition. My non-sasquatch Outer Banks is more off-road capable than the Bronco Sport (even with a 2.5" lift) could ever hope to be.

FWIW, here is a breakdown that may be helpful. The non-sasquatch Base, Black Diamond, and Outer Banks all share the same Hitachi shocks and springs are computer selected for the individual vehicles.

Base model: 16″ steel wheels and 255/70 (30″ / 30.04″) all-terrain or even highway terrain tires.

Big Bend: 17″ aluminum wheels and 255/75 (32″ / 32.05″) all-terrain tires.

Outer Banks: 18″ aluminum wheels and 255/70 (32″ / 32.1″) all-terrain tires.

Black Diamond: 17″ steel wheels and 265/70 (32″ / 31.7″) all-terrain tires.

Badlands: 17″ aluminum wheels and 285/70 (33″ / 32.8″) all-terrain tires.

Wildtrak: 17″ aluminum wheels and 315/70 (35″ / 34.3″) all-terrain or mud-terrain tires

First Edition: Sasquatch Package: 17″ aluminum wheels and 315/70 (35″ / 34.3″) all-terrain tires

Everglades: 17” carbonized and 315/70 (35″ / 34.3″) mud-terrain tires.

Heritage Limited Edition: 17” Dog-Dish aluminum wheels and 315/70 (35″ / 34.3″) mud-terrain tires.

Bronco Raptor: 17” aluminum gloss black or 17” Beadlock forged Wheels and 37X12.5 (37″ / 37.0 – true 37″) all-terrain tires.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The sport is most definitely not more capable, but if it's currently meeting your needs...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The sport is most definitely not more capable, but if it's currently meeting your needs...
More capable? Depends. I saw an Obx with open diff struggle on something I walked right over. Maybe it was the standard Obx tires vs my wildpeaks maybe just better line and luck. Who knows. It definitely keeps up with 80 or 90 percent of what they do at the local park. But I have out grown it for sure.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ground clearance on BS is different than the Bronco. Everything is close to minimum on a BS. Bronco has the minimum at the rear diff but most of the underside is at least a few inches higher.

Bronco folks, keep in mind what rear diff the BS Badlands has. It can split 0 to 100% of the power between the wheels without applying the brake to the either wheel. That versus an open diff is a big advantage.

Optional Falken ATW3 also give it a respectable off road tire.

Check out the videos by HRG TV to see what BS Badlands can do.

Doing anything that does not bottom out the Sport Badlands, I would not bet against it vs an open diff Bronco when both are factory stock. Not saying it will win or lose, just saying it's not a sure thing. I'd love to see a head to head off road test.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Non-sasquatch OBX doesn't mean no advanced 4x4 and no rear locker. Bronco Sport doesn't even have 4L. Let's be real, the Bronco is a more capable off-roader. The Bronco Sport does have many comfort features that the Bronco doesn't have making it superior on road.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On my BD, this is the clearance I’m most concerned about.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond NON SASQUATCH ground clearance height? IMG_3037
Ford Bronco Black Diamond NON SASQUATCH ground clearance height? IMG_3026

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond