Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F250, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Update on dead Bronco:

The epitome of being disgusted with a new vehicle. The 2021 Ford Bronco First Edition with the 2.7 liter twin turbo motor. For 2,023 miles, it ran perfect! The Bronco demonstrated superior off-road abilities and did so with extreme comfort and confidence.

On Dec 23rd, mile 2,024, it all changed abruptly and heart-brokenly. according to the dealership's Technician, the engines timing chain broke, the valves stuck and destroyed the pistons. Metal shavings in the oil ruined the oil lines, intake manifold and turbo chargers. I was told it will need a new engine.

On Dec 30, 7 days later, new engine still NOT authorized by Ford Motor Company. However Ford finally did authorize a rental while the Bronco is sorted, fixed and repaired. (Due to back ordered parts, could take up to a month, month and a half before repairs are completed)

That is sadly correct, it took seven days to get Ford to authorize a rental, today is eight days after the breakdown, my Dealership still has not been told if the replacement engine they requested is authorized or not. I have been in contact with Ford Motor Company's Customer Relationship Center based in Houston TX. So hopefully the ball will finally get rolling.
#fordbronco, #Ford

first ride 3.jpeg
Sponsored

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update on dead Bronco:

The epitome of being disgusted with a new vehicle. The 2021 Ford Bronco First Edition with the 2.7 liter twin turbo motor. For 2,023 miles, it ran perfect! The Bronco demonstrated superior off-road abilities and did so with extreme comfort and confidence.

On Dec 23rd, mile 2,024, it all changed abruptly and heart-brokenly. according to the dealership's Technician, the engines timing chain broke, the valves stuck and destroyed the pistons. Metal shavings in the oil ruined the oil lines, intake manifold and turbo chargers. I was told it will need a new engine.

On Dec 30, 7 days later, new engine still NOT authorized by Ford Motor Company. However Ford finally did authorize a rental while the Bronco is sorted, fixed and repaired. (Due to back ordered parts, could take up to a month, month and a half before repairs are completed)

That is sadly correct, it took seven days to get Ford to authorize a rental, today is eight days after the breakdown, my Dealership still has not been told if the replacement engine they requested is authorized or not. I have been in contact with Ford Motor Company's Customer Relationship Center based in Houston TX. So hopefully the ball will finally get rolling.
#fordbronco, #Ford

Ford Bronco Blown 2.7 update first ride 3
Thanks for sharing your update. Man, there has been a lot of depressing threads the last few days that sure temper the excitement of my build that is 'in production'.

I sincerely hope that it gets resolved to your satisfaction!

Sure would be nice if the current @Ford Motor Company presence was more than someone who commented on cute puppy pics.

Happy New Year everyone!

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m in the same boat and the dealer said Ford is closed this week so it’s not surprising the engine has not been authorized yet. Well I hope we all get resolved in the new year. Also, no car rental companies in my area have cars this week.

Sponsored

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update on dead Bronco:

#fordbronco, #Ford

Man, this must be some distressing news to hear from the dealer. As @International_George mentioned, holiday shut down may be delaying the response. But if what the tech said is true, with all that internal damage (and the potential for PR headaches) I have to imagine your FE is getting a new engine. Fingers crossed for you.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Man, this must be some distressing news to hear from the dealer. As @International_George mentioned, holiday shut down may be delaying the response. But if what the tech said is true, with all that internal damage (and the potential for PR headaches) I have to imagine your FE is getting a new engine. Fingers crossed for you.
I mean what e,se are they going to do not give him an engine it’s under warranty and not his fault he damn well better be getting a new engine or ford buy the vehicle back

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow... suuuucks this happened over the Christmas holiday. I'm sure that's a big reason why the approval times are so long--lots of Ford employees are probably on vacation.

The camshafts are chain driven on the 2.7L engine, but the oil pump and all of the other accessories (A/C compressor, alternator, etc.) is driven by belt.

For the 2.3L the camshafts and oil pump are both chain driven. Everything else is belt.

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean what e,se are they going to do not give him an engine it’s under warranty and not his fault he damn well better be getting a new engine or ford buy the vehicle back
Right? The next question -- how long are they going to make him wait to get back on the road? I know when new vehicles are released, it takes a while to have spare parts in stock.

wizardoforange

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This really sucks, and I'm sorry it happened to you. I think that they should give you a new vehicle. Will this one always carry around a stigma in some database saying it suffered a blown engine with few miles? And do you think a dealer is capable of installing a replacement engine so that it will last as long as a good one installed at the factory?

I may re-think my order soon before it goes into production and switch from Wildtrak to Badlands 2.3 Sasquatch.

Sponsored

Where IS it

Black Diamond
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update on dead Bronco:

#fordbronco, #Ford

Where IS it

Black Diamond
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That so stinks! My husband met you at the Safeway Gas station that day. We have a 4-door on order in Cyber Orange. About an hour later I saw you pulled over on Hwy 25 with your hazard lights on. Was wondering what had happened.

OP
OP
Lance103222

Lance103222

First Edition
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F250, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That so stinks! My husband met you at the Safeway Gas station that day. We have a 4-door on order in Cyber Orange. About an hour later I saw you pulled over on Hwy 25 with your hazard lights on. Was wondering what had happened.
I enjoyed my chat with your Husband. Aside from this catastrophic engine failure, I was absolutely in love with my Bronco. Between here (Bronco6G) and another forum I belong too, sounds like there was a bad batch of engines built in a very narrow time frame. Considering yours is being built at a different/later time, I doubt you will suffer the same fate as mine. (I pray that you don't!) Best of luck to you and your Husband.

Bronco wild outdoors

Badlands
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
drivenwildgear.com
Vehicle(s)
17 f 250, 66 mustang GT, 91 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update on dead Bronco:

#fordbronco, #Ford

Were you on the highway? light acceleration?
Sponsored