Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are 2022s having the same issues?
No, we do not expect they will as we believe the issue with valve failure was do to a manufacturing issue that was corrected in 2021.
Sponsored

Math4Fun77

First Edition
First Name
Nate & Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco-14 VW Jetta-04 Honda Pilot-71 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I heard from my CSR today and they have approved to cover a couple of my monthly payments but ZERO extended warranty. I told her that is not acceptable and she is taking it back to her supervisor. I have drafted an email to her to explain my rationale, but before I hit send, if any of you that have already gone through this have any pointers, please feel free to message me. I really want to put this behind me but I don't understand the arbitrariness of their negotiations.

Editing to add, I did not get a loaner. I did not get a rental. So, no expenses on FMC's part there.

Or if you think this is as good as it gets, please share that as well.

Last edited:

BanzaiBob

Black Diamond
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond Sasquatch A51
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, we do not expect they will as we believe the issue with valve failure was do to a manufacturing issue that was corrected in 2021.
Sorry to tell you but just picked up my ‘22 yesterday from getting a replacement engine. Here’s hoping this one is a good one!🤞🏻

F24DD08E-7419-46B7-AF89-ED58E14EC299.jpeg

F29BEF5D-6903-4C7E-8579-CE3907C350C0.jpeg

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

BanzaiBob

Black Diamond
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow. I think that's the first '22 year 2.7 engine I've seen being replaced. What was the failure? Have you passed this info along to @Lucchese for the 2.7 blown engine thread stats https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-blown-engine-fail-list-47-so-far-may-11-update.31951/
Yes, I passed this along last week when they put the new one in. The engine didn’t fail but was on the road there. I took it in with “valve ticking” noise. Diagnosis was inconclusive and they replaced the engine. As you can see from the service report, metal shavings were found in my oil filter so it was just a matter of time before it failed.

Sponsored

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, I passed this along last week when they put the new one in. The engine didn’t fail but was on the road there. I took it in with “valve ticking” noise. Diagnosis was inconclusive and they replaced the engine. As you can see from the service report, metal shavings were found in my oil filter so it was just a matter of time before it failed.
Hmm, looks like they didn't want to lose the rabbit do to speak, or contaminate the evidence by allowing it to already fail completely so they bought back the engine instead of sending you on your way.

What was the original engine's suffix and Julian date? Is that related to the same issue they were tracking or something else, like a one off incipient failure?

Don't think there was much mentioned in the other thread about a valve ticking noise prior to the failures, but not going to swear to that.

BanzaiBob

Black Diamond
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think I may have been the first on the engine failure thread to mention the valve ticking (pg 248) From what I’m hearing from service, this ticking may be preceding eventual failure.
Hmm, looks like they didn't want to lose the rabbit do to speak, or contaminate the evidence by allowing it to already fail completely so they bought back the engine instead of sending you on your way.

What was the original engine's suffix and Julian date? Is that related to the same issue they were tracking or something else, like a one off incipient failure?

Don't think there was much mentioned in the other thread about a valve ticking noise prior to the failures, but not going to swear to that.
[/
E525274C-E744-44BE-9498-E927A8B5B021.jpeg

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ticking and metal in oil don’t seem to me to be the same issue that we have been tracking. Previous reports for dropped valve failures had no warning. @Lucchese ? No pre-failure symptoms like ticking sounds. Ticking sounds may be due to cam issues that can result in metal in motor oil. While this is a 2.7 failure, I am not ready to say it was due to a bad batch of valves. Plus, the valve supply issue was addressed last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I heard from my CSR today and they have approved to cover a couple of my monthly payments but ZERO extended warranty. I told her that is not acceptable and she is taking it back to her supervisor. I have drafted an email to her to explain my rationale, but before I hit send, if any of you that have already gone through this have any pointers, please feel free to message me. I really want to put this behind me but I don't understand the arbitrariness of their negotiations.

Editing to add, I did not get a loaner. I did not get a rental. So, no expenses on FMC's part there.

Or if you think this is as good as it gets, please share that as well.
I couldn't talk my CSR into making a payment, but I did get a rental for a month. I guess that's a wash.

Math4Fun77

First Edition
First Name
Nate & Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I couldn't talk my CSR into making a payment, but I did get a rental for a month. I guess that's a wash.

I think I'm seeing a trend of either extended warranty+one payment (rental or monthly loan, or excessive tow beyond the normal in town) OR two payments but no extended warranty.

I haven't been taking extensive notes but mentally I think this seems to be what I am seeing/reading.

Sponsored

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toy.Sequoia, 2020 Dodge Challenger ScatPack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was 3+ hours from home, in 25 degree weather with my dogs on a Sunday (I was attempting to drive from NY to NC), and I had to pay $713 to get home.

I tried everything to get reimbursed. I talked with my several rep more times than I care to count.

I called customer care and talked to a nice enough guy for 42 minutes. He put me on hold a bunch to consult with various people before finally telling me I could not be reimbursed, but hold onto my receipt un case they change their policy.

I emailed a couple Ford executives and received a call from someone in the "Ford Executive Offices." She reviewed my towing bill and said: "I apologize for the delay in my response. After reviewing your receipt, we are willing to reimburse you for the cost of the towing. Please reply to this email and provide the address where the check should be sent." I immediacy replied with my address, and my thanks. A month later, still no check.

I hope Ford reconsiders their towing policy. That's the part that still burns me the most. Ford should tow ALL blown 2.7s home. No excuses, no exclusions.

2021 2DR OBX 2.7 auto with 3,818 miles.
VIN # 1FMDE5CP2MLA61925
Bought March 5th, blew March 13th 2022.

BLOWN ENGINE INFO (blew 3/13/22):
Lima Engine Plant
27L RWD U725
MB3E 6007 AA
[QR CODE] 121
EF06A21131120036

NEW ENGINE INFO (installed ~4/18/22):
161 [QR CODE]
27L RWD U725
Lima Engine Plant
MB3E 6007 AB
EF06A22032120713

2022-08-26 UPDATE:

Some good news: FORD reimbursed my $713 towing bill!

So, my engine was replaced, my recalled top was replaced while they were at it, and now they've reimbursed me for towing.

In the end, it sucked to get stranded like that hours from home in freezing temps with my dogs, and to lose my 8 day old Bronco for 32 days, but I'm in a much better place with FORD now that they reimbursed the exorbitant out of pocket towing expense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was 3+ hours from home, in 25 degree weather with my dogs on a Sunday (I was attempting to drive from NY to NC), and I had to pay $713 to get home.

I tried everything to get reimbursed. I talked with my several rep more times than I care to count.

I called customer care and talked to a nice enough guy for 42 minutes. He put me on hold a bunch to consult with various people before finally telling me I could not be reimbursed, but hold onto my receipt un case they change their policy.

I emailed a couple Ford executives and received a call from someone in the "Ford Executive Offices." She reviewed my towing bill and said: "I apologize for the delay in my response. After reviewing your receipt, we are willing to reimburse you for the cost of the towing. Please reply to this email and provide the address where the check should be sent." I immediacy replied with my address, and my thanks. A month later, still no check.

I hope Ford reconsiders their towing policy. That's the part that still burns me the most. Ford should tow ALL blown 2.7s home. No excuses, no exclusions.

2021 2DR OBX 2.7 auto with 3,818 miles.
VIN # 1FMDE5CP2MLA61925
Bought March 5th, blew March 13th 2022.

BLOWN ENGINE INFO (blew 3/13/22):
Lima Engine Plant
27L RWD U725
MB3E 6007 AA
[QR CODE] 121
EF06A21131120036

NEW ENGINE INFO (installed ~4/18/22):
161 [QR CODE]
27L RWD U725
Lima Engine Plant
MB3E 6007 AB
EF06A22032120713
Agreed. Mine blew in 15 degree weather and I had to wait in 2.5 hours for a tow truck.

Math4Fun77

First Edition
First Name
Nate & Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ok, I thought I would include our full story. It's a little lengthy, but - here it is . . .

On March 7, 2022, I was driving with my son to the store. The roads were completely covered in ice. I first started experiencing signs of engine trouble in the form of steering and traction control sensations; however, I initially wasn't sure if it was just the ice or if I did feel a loss in power in my car. Further down the road, I lost all power. I attempted to pay attention to the dash alerts, but my main attention was on controlling my vehicle and finding a place to pull off the road. Keep in mind, there are no shoulders to pull off onto as everything is ice and snowbanks. I pulled into our local veterinarian's office parking lot; however, the drive has a slight uphill slope. When you combine this slope with ice and no power, I could not make it all the way into the parking lot and was stuck in their entrance and my vehicle was hidden from view by a snow bank. I consider myself to be very lucky that I was in town. It was 10 degrees outside. I was able to go inside and stay warm while I waited for a tow.

Once my vehicle was towed to the dealership, I was notified it would be some time before they could get my vehicle in the bay to be looked at. In the meantime, I did have to go to my vehicle and retrieve some items that I had left. At that time, I could tell that the vehicle had actually been seen as there were parts on the driver's side floorboard. It was also at this time that I confirmed that my engine was within the "hot zone" of engine failures. After further research, I was convinced my engine had failed due to the dropped valve and initiated contact with FoMoCo's Customer Service Department. I learned through my CSR that they had already determined that the engine had failed; yet they did not communicate this with me even though I had called and left a message.

Throughout my wait, my Customer Service Rep kept up communication. She did report having difficulty getting in touch with the people that she needed to at the dealership and that it would take several phone calls and several voicemails to make contact. I understand that there is a considerable backlog in the automotive industry. So, when they told me I had a part on backorder, it initially didn't phase me and I assumed that I just had to wait this out.

My patience came to a screeching halt when I discovered that there was a failed engine that went down March 13, 2022 and was back on the road April 18th. This created more questions than answers. Ultimately, in the process, I had the part number in hand and did a quick Google search which resulted immediately in 3 viable resources. (There were more, I just stopped at 3). I forwarded these on to my CSR. In the meantime, I also reached out to another parts manager at a separate Ford dealership who looked up the D2D stock and found NUMEROUS dealers with the part in hand. My CSR forwarded these resources to my local parts department and was able to get the part ordered and overnighted.

In regard to my CSR, I want to mention that she did the best she could with the information she had available. As I started to ask more pointed questions in regard to acquisition of supplies and logistics, she did the best she could to answer, but it was clear that that knowledge was a bit limited. I do want to give her credit that she never gave up when she did not have an answer. To this point, I believe FoMoCo needs to do a better job informing their employees of issues in the vehicle and training them how to handle these situations. When I first spoke with my CSR, the engine failure in the Broncos was completely new to her. I had to inform her of the back story. It was several weeks of her on my case that she told me they finally briefed them that it was even a thing.

Throughout all this, I did not receive a loaner vehicle nor a rental. In the end, I was able to negotiate my desired compensation. I got the Bronco back May 18th.

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

if Ford is not cooperating to provide you w consistent professional repairs & compensation package, there's another avenue - you can contact BBB

for example, @G-Red had a 2.3L bad turbo replaced , and he got repairs & compensation package better than most 2.7L blown engines !

he did this by filing a Case w BBB , who arbitrated with Ford Motor Co on his behalf

this BBB mediation/arbitration procedure is described in the Owner's Manual - and Canada has similar program called CAMVAP

Ford Bronco 2.7 Blown Engine Owner's Experiences Owners Manual p469

Ford Bronco 2.7 Blown Engine Owner's Experiences Owners Manual p470