First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
luckily its a fairly easy job replacing these axles. Did mine in my garage in about 3 hours. Be sure to order the seal because its not included with the axle. Like a 2 dollar part,lol. If youre going ford again. Learned the hard way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

luckily its a fairly easy job replacing these axles. Did mine in my garage in about 3 hours. Be sure to order the seal because its not included with the axle. Like a 2 dollar part,lol. If youre going ford again. Learned the hard way.
Oh yea? did you have to take the knuckle completely off? my seal doesn't seem to be leaking so i'm not goign to replace it

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At the Off Roadeo, the guide emphasized minimal use of the front locker. It was only used on one obstacle and it was an on/off situation.
Explains why the Rock Crawl GOAT mode is 4L, rear locker only, buy default. Losing rear traction is the only time I use front locker and then turn it off once I'm over the obstacle.

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why wouldn't Fords premier offroad vehicle come with upgrades on at least the steering and axles (at least as an option). Charge 15-20 grand extra if needed, make it a hard core "crawler" version (without all the other Raptor upgrades, which I could never use where I live) on a lower level or base.
Because of the limited audience that would actually buy/use an $80k CrawlSquatch Edition. In other words, it'll never happen.

Sponsored

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IFS is fine for wheeling, that doesn't mean it'll never break. The amount of broken parts from wheeling solid front axles could probably supply the US steel industry for months. Solid front axles are fine for wheeling too, doesn't mean they won't break. Most Jeeps aren't going to survive long with 37's if they're wheeled hard with a stock axle.

No hardcore crawler would buy it, for the same reason no hardcore desert racer is going to buy a raptor. Realistically, if you could convince them to do it, the stuff Ford would package up would never be on the same level as the stuff that type of person would put in their Bronco. It would all be gutted for something better and they'd be money ahead by not buying it in the first place. Ford is already packaging larger axles and steering racks in certain Broncos, and that's probably as far as they'll ever take it.
100% this ☝

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Only if you do it in true Candian form. Hockey game on in the background with the wife randomly dropping F bombs every time someone does something stupid.
While watching the video, I was thinking "where the hell are they?" until I heard the "eh's" :ROFLMAO:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Because of the limited audience that would actually buy/use an $80k CrawlSquatch Edition. In other words, it'll never happen.
The Raptor is no less limited, just a different hard core edition, for a different part of the country. No reason it would not sell, especially after the aftermarket does the engineering, design, manufacture, and testing for Ford up front (which is already done on the steering rack).

They already use plenty of aftermarket parts, Fox, Brembo, Torsen, etc... Can easily use others if desired.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I blame Dana

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Raptor is no less limited, just a different hard core edition, for a different part of the country. No reason it would not sell, especially after the aftermarket does the engineering, design, manufacture, and testing for Ford up front (which is already done on the steering rack).

They already use plenty of aftermarket parts, Fox, Brembo, Torsen, etc... Can easily use others if desired.
A raptor is far from being considered hardcore. Even if I were building a non-competitive prerunner for fun, I would consider what the raptor has as a mid travel kit with middle of the road coilovers at best (yeah, even the active shock tech) and a conservative power increase that one could get from a retune on a 2.7L. For its size and weight, a 4dr Bronco would need at least 500HP before it could be considered a fun prerunner, but as it is, it's underpowered. I could see where some parts of the country might consider it hardcore I suppose, but a rock crawling version with the same approach to upgrades as the raptor wouldn't be so easily labeled as a hardcore edition for most of the country. I mean, you're not going to get Fun-Runner level chassis improvements from Ford and they won't be making a crawler version with beefier and better stuff than their flagship raptor...probably the same front and rear axles, probably the same 3.0 rack, basically everything you can get optioned currently in a Wildtrak with some graphics, maybe colorful upholstery stitching, or other irrelevant bolt-ons like 37" tires, "HD skidplates" or fender flares. I doubt they'd put longer a-arms or active coilovers with it to gain wheel travel because then you'd essentially have a raptor, and that wouldn't fly...it would diminish the royalty status of the raptor if you could just option a Wildtrak to be the same thing. We could go on forever about what Ford could do, but realistically, what you'd actually get from Ford would be a little disappointing and a miss for being a hardcore crawler. No doubt it would carry a similar raptor premium though, and with all of that expense in a setup that's not top tier, you'll probably end up replacing some or all of it with better stuff anyway.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, about to go swap it out, wish me luck!

And, going to do a livestream Sunday night and have a look at the broken shaft. As well as discuss why I think it broke(my fault). And what to do differently in the future.

livestream 2-1 (1).jpg

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
what Ford could do,
I don't think it would be that difficult. It really seems like the front diff, front axles, and steering rack /tie rods are the weak points. If you can't at least "bump" into the drivetrain and get some wheelspin, while locked in front, and maybe a minor bit of hopping here and there, you will be VERY limited in snow, muddy/moss/leave covered rocks, wet hill climbs, etc.. Not talking something that can do this.

Talking something like this. (If I posted a 6G doing this, you'all would be out of your minds with a 86 page thread about everything done "wrong"). Sorry for the crappy older vid, it was 2006, best to watch "part" screen........

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/RAUSCH CREEK/28 AUG 06/27 AUG 06/KEVIN/MOV00992.MPG

WARNING, someone said a curse word at the end of this. :p

Manufacturers make the "GT500" so that the product gets a "rep" and even the lesser versions are very desirable (odd, but it works). If Ford wants to have such a limited rep for the Bronco, and most of it's buyers are fine with coddling it (and/or a full day's winchfest), then I guess times have changed, and that's kind of sad.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The only time I ever use the front locker with confidence (on any vehicle) is in the soft stuff: snow, mud, sand, etc.

Using it on rocks is ALWAYS a risk and I weigh that risk very carefully before pressing that button.

The number one variable in my risk assessment equation is what direction my wheels are pointing (or will need to point to get over it). Straight ahead? OK - I’ll press the button if I feel I need it because the risk is lower. Full crank left or right? DON’T EVEN THINK OF TOUCHING THAT BUTTON! Spool out the winch or take a strap. Or back out and go around. When your wheels are jammed in a tight turn you are already stressing the front axle components to the max. Kicking on that locker will be the straw that breaks your Bronco’s back every GD time.

BTW - ”hopping” is #2 risk factor. Front end is intermittently grabbing traction and begins to “hop” up and down as it does. Good way to break an axle (locked or open). Don’t do it, man.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't think it would be that difficult. It really seems like the front diff, front axles, and steering rack /tie rods are the weak points. If you can't at least "bump" into the drivetrain and get some wheelspin, while locked in front, and maybe a minor bit of hopping here and there, you will be VERY limited in snow, muddy/moss/leave covered rocks, wet hill climbs, etc.. Not talking something that can do this.

Talking something like this. (If I posted a 6G doing this, you'all would be out of your minds with a 86 page thread about everything done "wrong"). Sorry for the crappy older vid, it was 2006, best to watch "part" screen........

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/RAUSCH CREEK/28 AUG 06/27 AUG 06/KEVIN/MOV00992.MPG

WARNING, someone said a curse word at the end of this. :p

Manufacturers make the "GT500" so that the product gets a "rep" and even the lesser versions are very desirable (odd, but it works). If Ford wants to have such a limited rep for the Bronco, and most of it's buyers are fine with coddling it (and/or a full day's winchfest), then I guess times have changed, and that's kind of sad.
No, it wouldn't be difficult for Ford, it would be every bit as easy as making a regular Bronco. It wouldn't even be difficult for most ordinary people to do. They should've gone with tougher components from the start, but they won't change it. They're one of the biggest car manufacturers on the planet, and if they wanted to make a race ready street legal replica of a KOH winning 4600 Bronco in luxury format, it would be a walk in the park for them. They've already done most of the work and have a virtually unlimited budget and team and logistics to fill in the gaps, they make the hardware and program the software. It's about whether they'd make the same profits doing it or not, and whether people are going to buy it or really care about having that much additional strength. Based on how people are falling over themselves with hype and spending $20K over sticker price to buy a modest factory upgrade in the form of a raptor, I'd say it's absolutely not necessary for Ford to package tougher components than what they're already selling. Expecting something like the equivalent of tons front and rear on a Bronco is about like expecting a Godzilla powered Bronco. Not only that, but you'd have gnashing of teeth and rending of shirts from raptor owners if it was no longer the premier Bronco.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they would do all that good stuff, but with car manufacturers these days, it's about engineering only enough strength and capability for the majority/intended use case to save as much money as possible. I mean, why doesn't the Rubicon come with tons instead of D44's? That's supposed to be THE rock crawler that everyone else looks up to, and anyone that's serious about not breaking stuff is going to eventually find themselves with tons, so if any vehicle is deserving of serious hardware it would be the Rubicon.

The GT500 of the Bronco world is going to be either the DR or the 4600 versions in KOH, that was their statement piece "made from real Bronco ingredients" to make people buy Broncos and raptors. It's a little bit harder for offroad vehicles because they can't put their performance numbers side by side with competitor numbers and expect it to mean anything...but with a GT500, you've got the quarter mile and 0-60 and top speed and all that business to throw up against something like a Corvette or Hellcat and people understand that. It's a little harder to quantify the benefits of a D60 equipped Bronco vs a normal Bronco to the public, it's underwhelming. It's like comparing an F-350 to an F-450, nobody really cares unless you actually have a need for it.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The only time I ever use the front locker with confidence (on any vehicle) is in the soft stuff: snow, mud, sand, etc.

Using it on rocks is ALWAYS a risk and I weigh that risk very carefully before pressing that button.

The number one variable in my risk assessment equation is what direction my wheels are pointing (or will need to point to get over it). Straight ahead? OK - I’ll press the button if I feel I need it because the risk is lower. Full crank left or right? DON’T EVEN THINK OF TOUCHING THAT BUTTON! Spool out the winch or take a strap. Or back out and go around. When your wheels are jammed in a tight turn you are already stressing the front axle components to the max. Kicking on that locker will be the straw that breaks your Bronco’s back every GD time.

BTW - ”hopping” is #2 risk factor. Front end is intermittently grabbing traction and begins to “hop” up and down as it does. Good way to break an axle (locked or open). Don’t do it, man.
No foolin. I just posted a video of it happening. Yes it is a 60 front, but nothing special, 35 spline outers, locked up on an ARB on 42 rocks (double bead locks, about 8 PSI). Didn't break, did it? I probably have 100 more videos of the same thing. We do it constantly. And that particular rig has an EFI 460, 4:1 "doubler" and 5.13's (so not underpowered, or at least no lack of torque at the wheels).

At least you guys are saving me 50 or 60 grand. Not getting a new one, that is for sure, on something I have to tip-toe around in, even with only 35's.
Sponsored