Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, swapped it out this afternoon. Wasn't too bad. It's pretty mangled. Too bad we can't just buy the inner coupling.

PXL_20230401_221629514.jpg

PXL_20230401_175646180.jpg

PXL_20230401_175654156.jpg

PXL_20230401_175700810.jpg
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You may have said and I missed it, but did you just replace it with a stock axle, or get an upgraded one like a Spicer or RCV?

I'm waiting to blow a CV so I have an excuse to upgrade.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You may have said and I missed it, but did you just replace it with a stock axle, or get an upgraded one like a Spicer or RCV?
Went with stock.. upgrades are way to expensive for me right now.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Talking something like this. (If I posted a 6G doing this, you'all would be out of your minds with a 86 page thread about everything done "wrong"). Sorry for the crappy older vid, it was 2006, best to watch "part" screen........

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/RAUSCH CREEK/28 AUG 06/27 AUG 06/KEVIN/MOV00992.MPG

WARNING, someone said a curse word at the end of this. :p

I watched this waiting for the part where the driver starts hammering on it, but it never came.
From the video it appears the driver has good throttle control, backing out at appropriate times to reduce shock load on the drivetrain.
It looks a lot different to me than videos of drivers snapping and breaking parts on their buggies, jeeps, and overlanders.
Without being there it's hard to say if a factory sasquatch Bronco would break something under similar stresses or if it would clear the obstacle with similar stresses.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's the Livestream I did last night. Showed the broken axle then discussed what I did wrong and what I will do in the future.

Had a few difficulties with the sound, so skip around the first few minutes.

https://youtube.com/live/TteiFvgPjVQ?feature=share

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I watched this waiting for the part where the driver starts hammering on it, but it never came.
From the video it appears the driver has good throttle control, backing out at appropriate times to reduce shock load on the drivetrain.
It looks a lot different to me than videos of drivers snapping and breaking parts on their buggies, jeeps, and overlanders.
Without being there it's hard to say if a factory sasquatch Bronco would break something under similar stresses or if it would clear the obstacle with similar stresses.
Agree, I picked that video as it is one of the more mild "abuses", that is normal wheeling on harder east coast obstacles (with non stickies). I've yet to see a stock SAS (or stock one with one size tire upgrade) come anywhere near what happens there.

Fully locked the entire time. All 4 tires spinning the entre time. Original line lost, but stayed in the throttle, spinning all the way through. Turning and spinning fully locked. Tires lifting in the air, and hitting back on the surface, still spinning. These are all things many on this board say to NEVER do in a 6G. And there is no point pulling cable, it is not part of the normal trail. You either make it or you don't.

This is more typical though of how we wheel, but not break, the first time you put a little torque into it.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/RAUSCH CREEK/20 MAR 2010 MEB/MOV02357.MPG
Again, I don't expect a 6G to do this, but it should be expected to do what was done in the first vid, and not frailly break, almost immediately.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree, I picked that video as it is one of the more mild "abuses", that is normal wheeling on harder east coast obstacles (with non stickies). I've yet to see a stock SAS (or stock one with one size tire upgrade) come anywhere near what happens there.

Fully locked the entire time. All 4 tires spinning the entre time. Original line lost, but stayed in the throttle, spinning all the way through. Turning and spinning fully locked. Tires lifting in the air, and hitting back on the surface, still spinning. These are all things many on this board say to NEVER do in a 6G. And there is no point pulling cable, it is not part of the normal trail. You either make it or you don't.

This is more typical though of how we wheel, but not break, the first time you put a little torque into it.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/RAUSCH CREEK/20 MAR 2010 MEB/MOV02357.MPG
Again, I don't expect a 6G to do this, but it should be expected to do what was done in the first vid, and not frailly break, almost immediately.
Most don't understand east coast wheeling. Slick, muddy, rocks, loose dirt, leaves, trees, etc. You need wheel spin. The upside is you don't get the jolt of traction you would if you tried similar at Moab in the dry.

This second video is buggy territory. I'm looking at +2 - +5 tire size for a midsize 4x4 to attempt that obstacle. All the extra torque from the larger lever of tire diameter will break all the other factory parts. Maybe not the first time, but sooner or later.

I've thought about what my Bronco build would be to drive like this. 74Weld steering and portals, Dana Ultimate FDU and axles. 39"+ tires.

Ford already did the easy lift and plus tire size with the Sasquatch package. The low-hanging fruit has been plucked.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Most don't understand east coast wheeling. Slick, muddy, rocks, loose dirt, leaves, trees, etc. You need wheel spin. The upside is you don't get the jolt of traction you would if you tried similar at Moab in the dry.

This second video is buggy territory. I'm looking at +2 - +5 tire size for a midsize 4x4 to attempt that obstacle. All the extra torque from the larger lever of tire diameter will break all the other factory parts. Maybe not the first time, but sooner or later.

I've thought about what my Bronco build would be to drive like this. 74Weld steering and portals, Dana Ultimate FDU and axles. 39"+ tires.

Ford already did the easy lift and plus tire size with the Sasquatch package. The low-hanging fruit has been plucked.
I feel Ford should have made the entire steering/front bearing hubs, rear axle-bearings, and front CV's shafts (if the electronics always shut down 4WD from just a broken CV shaft) absolutely bullet proof (or at least an option).

I'm fine with breakage offroad, but I want my rig to be able to be towed and steered back to civilization (even if the engine doesn't even run). I'd like to have those upgrades, under warrantee, without having to spend 130 grand on a Raptor, just to get "minor" upgrades.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I feel Ford should have made the entire steering/front bearing hubs, rear axle-bearings, and front CV's shafts (if the electronics always shut down 4WD from just a broken CV shaft) absolutely bullet proof (or at least an option).

I'm fine with breakage offroad, but I want my rig to be able to be towed and steered back to civilization (even if the engine doesn't even run). I'd like to have those upgrades, under warrantee, without having to spend 130 grand on a Raptor, just to get "minor" upgrades.
Hoss 3.0 adds raptor parts on a wildtrak. Same rack, same tie rods (shorter, obviously), same axles and CV's, hubs, etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hoss 3.0 adds raptor parts on a wildtrak. Same rack, same tie rods (shorter, obviously), same axles and CV's, hubs, etc.
yea but that should be an option for Badlands as well, their off road version....

OuterBankSquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Went with stock.. upgrades are way to expensive for me right now.
Looked at some of the upgrade prices, ouch.

Hopefully we will have more economical options down the road.

What I’ve learned from your experience and this thread is—front locker only when the wheels are straight, the rear locker didn’t get it done, and avoid bouncing at least the front while locked! New to any type of off-roading and would not have known any of this but for this thread, thanks for sharing!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, but not many can afford a 4x4 that starts at $80k. Ford certainly can't afford to offer one.

I'm ok with a 4x4 that starts at $40k and I'll put the other $40k in the way I want. I think Ford hit a good balance of style and capability for their budget.

Warranty isn't all it's cracked up to be. It won't cover abuse.

The Ineos Grenadier is (probably) and option, or if outside the USA a gwagen professional.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree, but not many can afford a 4x4 that starts at $80k. Ford certainly can't afford to offer one.

I'm ok with a 4x4 that starts at $40k and I'll put the other $40k in the way I want. I think Ford hit a good balance of style and capability for their budget.

Warranty isn't all it's cracked up to be. It won't cover abuse.

The Ineos Grenadier is (probably) and option, or if outside the USA a gwagen professional.
Not sure why you think a steering rack/tie rods, front axle, and upgraded CV's, built from Ford to begin with, would be 40 grand, when even in the aftermarket, it won't be that.
Sponsored