Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I rarely use the front locker and when I do I try to be in a straight path. Steering is limited when front is locked and I wouldn’t try turning as sharp as some of the points in the vid. Rear locker can stay on.

I already commented on how good you and your kids attitude was on YouTube.
Quoted for emphasis. It was how it was explained at the Off-Roadeo to minimize the front locker engagement and when you do to minimize the steering. If I recall, the obstacle was called the Texas Two-Step. It is a wall of a rock that is much steeper than photos show it to be. Only after the approach was aligned were the lockers engaged and disengaged at the top.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was just talking to my buddy Dave (the guy with the grey Jeep in the video). And he thinks my wheel was turned at full lock when it happened. It makes sense because I'm remember trying to turn the steering but it felt blocked.... I thought I was straight but I was at full lock... My bad.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If bigger wheels, lifts are added, why isn't a beefed up axle included?

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was just talking to my buddy Dave (the guy with the grey Jeep in the video). And he thinks my wheel was turned at full lock when it happened. It makes sense because I'm remember trying to turn the steering but it felt blocked.... I thought I was straight but I was at full lock... My bad.
Thanks to your mistake I/we are learning much about the front locker and properly using it.
Keep it straight and use it sparingly, check. No bumping, bouncing or sending it. :p

After reading about lifts and the diffs and IFS v live and etc. it makes sense that the IFS with CVs and steering is going to bind a locker and something is going to fail, but sometimes we have to see the whole picture to get it.

And when that fails we replaces broken parts.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was wondering when looking at the photo. That looks like a possible shock load, which would make sense if the front diff was locked and you had a significant difference in the speed of both wheels with a high load on it.
I've seen 18-wheeler tractors with air diff locks break a massive axle shaft when one side bites but the other doesn't when turning around. It was typically in the lease trucks we would send out to the beet fields, where they would break axles and transmissions regularly. Eaton and Rockwell reps loved to deny warranty coverage on them. (this was back in the mid to late 80's.)

Edit for the update where I saw you wiggle the axle. It looks like the tripod in the CV axle failed. there may be other issues inside the axle because it's weird you would lose 4wd just with a CV axle failure. It can't detect that. So something in the axle housing is unhappy.

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even at the offroadeo they stressed how little you should use the front locker. My guy straight up told me driving with it on will blow out the CVs.
interesting. i remember them emphasizing which locker (front or rear or both) to use was situation dependent. definitely warned that locking the front adversely affects effectiveness of the steering, but no warning regarding blowing out CVs

4runner

Outer Banks
First Name
4runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
come on !

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This was NOT a “locker” issue. I’ve broken CV’s in my Tundra that were bigger than the Bronco’s axles. I didn’t even have a Locker on the front. 🤷‍♂️

Parts break. It’s part of the fun of off-roading. I didn’t watch the entire video yet, but I intend to. Toyota Tundra (full
Ford Bronco Broke the axle on my Badlands Bronco...  pics and video 5D360A8B-4671-4A59-ADAE-4C15341CAC19
size) replacement axles cost less than $200. I’m looking forward to the day Bronco CV axles cost less than $1,000.
Ford Bronco Broke the axle on my Badlands Bronco...  pics and video 1264AD05-F5DA-42F2-8F51-35C26A74D1AB

Ford Bronco Broke the axle on my Badlands Bronco...  pics and video 91C7BA66-1C97-4B97-85B5-3050DB23603C

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Even at the offroadeo they stressed how little you should use the front locker. My guy straight up told me driving with it on will blow out the CVs.
Yep...our Rodeo guide in Vegas gave the same advice.

@Northshore bronco Thank you for sharing this and all your other videos. You've taught me alot!

Last edited:

Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was NOT a “locker” issue. I’ve broken CV’s in my Tundra that were bigger than the Bronco’s axles. I didn’t even have a Locker on the front. 🤷‍♂️

Parts break. It’s part of the fun of off-roading. I didn’t watch the entire video yet, but I intend to. Toyota Tundra (full
Ford Bronco Broke the axle on my Badlands Bronco...  pics and video 91C7BA66-1C97-4B97-85B5-3050DB23603C
size) replacement axles cost less than $200. I’m looking forward to the day Bronco CV axles cost less than $1,000.

Just fyi, you can get a pair of Factory CV for around $500.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IFS vs solid axle. You don't want IFS problems, don't get IFS.
I'll keep the IFS and upgrade the axle and CVs.
I was told 1000 times on this board the IFS would be fine. We are only talking upgrading ONE tire size over stock (since 36's are very limited).

Why wouldn't Fords premier offroad vehicle come with upgrades on at least the steering and axles (at least as an option). Charge 15-20 grand extra if needed, make it a hard core "crawler" version (without all the other Raptor upgrades, which I could never use where I live) on a lower level or base.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was told 1000 times on this board the IFS would be fine. We are only talking upgrading ONE tire size over stock (since 36's are very limited).

Why wouldn't Fords premier offroad vehicle come with upgrades on at least the steering and axles (at least as an option). Charge 15-20 grand extra if needed, make it a hard core "crawler" version (without all the other Raptor upgrades, which I could never use where I live) on a lower level or base.
Well for 15 or 20 grand you can upgrade a whole lot! The market would be small for those upgrades and not worth the time and money from ford. This is coming from the guy who just broke his axle.....

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what did they say to use it for then? just use it then turn it off. Is there a time limit? Kind of anoying.
They said only use it when you need it and keep steering to a minimum. Rear locker and GOAT modes were recommended over locking both all the time. Basically turn the front on for the obstacle then turn it off.

I will caveat this by saying I was in Moab where you could suddenly have a lot of traction. Unlike deep snow…
Sponsored