Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to see you do the ratchet strap trick to re-bead a tire. The more Broncos that get wheeled the more people will learn. Wheeling with the front locker engaged is a bad idea, it should be used as little as possible. Interesting to see why others think the front axle broke. The simple fact is the tire grabbed and all the power went through one part. If the front was unlocked the other side would have spun unloading the force.

People need to look past the tire size and lift for this failure. If you think your not at risk because of smaller tires and less lift your in the same boat just not there time wise. Big tires just speed up the process but we all will end up in the same spot eventually.

Great video, people should take away how to use a winch in the snow. How they winch and crawl out. Getting out of the throttle before digging to china.
Even at the offroadeo they stressed how little you should use the front locker. My guy straight up told me driving with it on will blow out the CVs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even at the offroadeo they stressed how little you should use the front locker. My guy straight up told me driving with it on will blow out the CVs.
So what did they say to use it for then? just use it then turn it off. Is there a time limit? Kind of anoying.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

People need to look past the tire size and lift for this failure. If you think your not at risk because of smaller tires and less lift your in the same boat just not there time wise.
All of the snapped front axles in my YJ would certainly agree with that. At the time it was bone stock, even the tire size. Stock vehicles have been getting better about addressing weak links, upgraded components and whatnot, but they're certainly not bulletproof by any means.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So what did they say to use it for then? just use it then turn it off. Is there a time limit? Kind of anoying.
At the Off Roadeo, the guide emphasized minimal use of the front locker. It was only used on one obstacle and it was an on/off situation.

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

According to Ford and VGJr (if you take his word for much) anyone who plans on going to 37 should upgrade all steering/suspension components.

Supposedly during extensive testing, no broncos broke while running 35s, only those testing 37 without upgraded components broke.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Glad to see you do the ratchet strap trick to re-bead a tire. The more Broncos that get wheeled the more people will learn. Wheeling with the front locker engaged is a bad idea, it should be used as little as possible. Interesting to see why others think the front axle broke. The simple fact is the tire grabbed and all the power went through one part. If the front was unlocked the other side would have spun unloading the force.

People need to look past the tire size and lift for this failure. If you think your not at risk because of smaller tires and less lift your in the same boat just not there time wise. Big tires just speed up the process but we all will end up in the same spot eventually.

Great video, people should take away how to use a winch in the snow. How they winch and crawl out. Getting out of the throttle before digging to china.
Hopefully someone eventually makes a full front axle and steering setup that is flat out not going to fail. I assume no one has broken anything in the rear diff yet?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hopefully someone eventually makes a full front axle and steering setup that is flat out not going to fail. I assume no one has broken anything in the rear diff yet?

Everything breaks eventually. Even 1 ton axles. The Dana D44 upgrade with 32 spline CVs is a good start if you want a reasonable upgrade up front. The D60 rear certainly looks promising but overkill for many applications.

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wheeling with the front locker engaged is a bad idea, it should be used as little as possible.
THIS, THIS, THIS AND THIS ^^^^^^

I have been wheeling my ZR2 for years!!! Do I use my rear lockers?? All the goddam time. My front ones? Very very rarely! And even then, I go slow, precise and give it just enough power to keep me moving.

Zero tie rod failures, zero steering racks, zero axles have failed being used in this manner. Now 76k miles later, different causes have caused wear and tear which calls for due maintenance like replacing tie rods and axles but never due to an obstacle causing a failure.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only a matter of time, jeeps seem to be okay with 37s and stock rear ends (M220) I hope it holds true for Bronco.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Everything breaks eventually. Even 1 ton axles. The Dana D44 upgrade with 32 spline CVs is a good start if you want a reasonable upgrade up front. The D60 rear certainly looks promising but overkill for many applications.
Sorry, but "I can't use the front locker" except for minor spurts is weak. I had a 79 I got for free, spooled the rear, WELDED the front diff, slapped together the cheapest hydrosteer setup I could muster, slapped on some 36 Swampers I had lying around. No gear change, so I had to be in the throttle a lot.

It did have "super duper" Autozone "Brute Strength" front U-joints :) . Snow wheeling once, mudding twice, rock crawled it 3-4 full days. I drove it pretty hard (like someone gave it to me for free). No broken axle U-joints in the front.

I'll keep saying it, maybe Ford will listen eventually. The axles and steering should be stouter than what they had 45 years ago, at least. The breakage I've been seeing, with the amount of "beatage" I've witnessed, they are not.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry, but "I can't use the front locker" except for minor spurts is weak. I had a 79 I got for free, spooled the rear, WELDED the front diff, slapped together the cheapest hydrosteer setup I could muster, slapped on some 36 Swampers I had lying around. No gear change, so I had to be in the throttle a lot.

It did have "super duper" Autozone "Brute Strength" front U-joints :) . Snow wheeling once, mudding twice, rock crawled it 3-4 full days. I drove it pretty hard (like someone gave it to me for free). No broken axle U-joints in the front.

I'll keep saying it, maybe Ford will listen eventually. The axles and steering should be stouter than what they had 45 years ago, at least. The breakage I've been seeing, with the amount of "beatage" I've witnessed, they are not.

IFS vs solid axle. You don't want IFS problems, don't get IFS.
I'll keep the IFS and upgrade the axle and CVs.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IFS vs solid axle. You don't want IFS problems, don't get IFS.
I'll keep the IFS and upgrade the axle and CVs.
Upgrades are crazy expensive right now. I'm just going to put the ford one back in and be more careful for now...

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I rarely use the front locker and when I do I try to be in a straight path. Steering is limited when front is locked and I wouldn’t try turning as sharp as some of the points in the vid. Rear locker can stay on.

I already commented on how good you and your kids attitude was on YouTube.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I rarely use the front locker and when I do I try to be in a straight path. Steering is limited when front is locked and I wouldn’t try turning as sharp as some of the points in the vid. Rear locker can stay on.

I already commented on how good you and your kids attitude was on YouTube.
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.
Sponsored