Sponsored

Broken strut for rear tailgate (terrible design!)

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Broken strut for rear tailgate (terrible design!) B83C8BBE-92EB-4684-8BBF-996790EAF7E9
After 8 months and 4,000 miles, the strut on the tailgate ripped out of the threads when trying to open it to 90 degrees at normal speed. The female receiving end is PLASTIC. The threads pulled right out and stripped it. It seems to me that this will eventually happen to 100% of Broncos. Hard to imagine what Ford was thinking with this super fragile design. Totally inadequate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Broken strut for rear tailgate (terrible design!) B83C8BBE-92EB-4684-8BBF-996790EAF7E9
After8 monthsand 4,000 miles, the strut on the tailgate ripped out of the threads when trying to open it to 99 degrees at normal speed. The female receiving end is PLASTIC. The threads pulled right out and stripped it. It seems to me that this will eventually happen to 100% of Broncos. Hard to imagine what Ford was thinking with this super fragile design. Totally inadequate.
Get a new one on warranty. All the one's that I have seen are made that way. Do they make one with a metal end piece?

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After8 monthsand 4,000 miles, the strut on the tailgate ripped out of the threads when trying to open it to 99 degrees at normal speed. The female receiving end is PLASTIC. The threads pulled right out and stripped it. It seems to me that this will eventually happen to 100% of Broncos. Hard to imagine what Ford was thinking with this super fragile design. Totally inadequate.
Similar thing happened to me except I was rear ended last night and the strut popped off from the ball joint
Ford Bronco Broken strut for rear tailgate (terrible design!) 0800070F-9AF7-4908-9962-3EFAD693B7B2

of course the rear ending was what caused it but still not a fun experience

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Complete non-issue for mine so far. The piston is set up to work in phases and it puts a lot of force on it when you try to push past these phase opening positions. It never takes more than one or two fingers for me to open mine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Get a new one on warranty. All the one's that I have seen are made that way. Do they make one with a metal end piece?
I already have an appointment Ford is ordering a new one. However, I've already gotten used to having no strut and I might like it better. I wish they just made it so the door hinges were a bit tighter and required some force to open-close. But putting all that force on those tiny plastic threads is never going last. The whole strut idea was not a good one, and was poorly executed. I'd rather have a simple rope or chain that would prevent it from swinging too hard and breaking off it's hinges. Or just design it like a regular passenger door, with 2 positions where the door wants to rest.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Similar thing happened to me except I was rear ended last night and the strut popped off from the ball joint
Ford Bronco Broken strut for rear tailgate (terrible design!) 0800070F-9AF7-4908-9962-3EFAD693B7B2

of course the rear ending was what caused it but still not a fun experience
I saw that - it looks like you could simply pop the strut back on by pressing down on it - might not be broke.

Oh, and sorry about your accident - sucks.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Complete non-issue for mine so far. The piston is set up to work in phases and it puts a lot of force on it when you try to push past these phase opening positions. It never takes more than one or two fingers for me to open mine.
Interesting I had to lean hard on mine - I have heard that there is a lot of variance in how much force is required to pull the tailgate open.

Anyway - be warned - looks to me like everyone will break this piece eventually.

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw that - it looks like you could simply pop the strut back on by pressing down on it - might not be broke.

Oh, and sorry about your accident - sucks.
yeah I do that when I need to close the trunk but it pops back off when I open the trunk so I’ll have to get it replaced :(

sucks it happened to you for no reason sorry about that!!

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gotta have a weakest link somewhere… or cause more significant damage in another spot. Just my guess. No problems with mine yet though.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This part should NOT be made of plastic 😜 just like the hood adjustment knobs.... complete junk and needed upgraded from day one. Eventually the aftermarket will catch up and all these weak cheap parts will have strong overbuilt replacements available. Capitalism at it's finest!

Last edited:

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last edited:

Redline Tuning

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed the part sucks. It could just be a piece of seatbelt webbing with no detent stops like some others that swing into everything in its path, leaving door and fender dings galore (looking at you jeep!)

I won't even park next to a wrangler.

We will be the proving ground of all the bean counters' decisions on the first generation launched in a long time (thankfully its not a Blazer). I had contemplated that the Bronco was really designed largely by a team that understood their current market and parts bin decisions. This level of departure back into a segment after 30 years is going to have many growing pains.

The after-market has proven a willingness to step up and fix many ailments so far, with only 100k units produced. There will be hundreds of parts on the market in the next 3-4 years to fix any cut corners and strengthen any subpar parts.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs