First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay, come on, I get the "old school is cool gig", but being near 60 years old now, I grew up analog, on points and condensers and distributor caps, with cam-driven diaphragm fuel pumps and the miracle of vacuum advance. Still have my Craftsman timing light and dwel tach in my tool box right next to my ECU scan tools and OBDII stuff.

Sorry, but modern cars just run and drive a thousand times better than even stuff from the early 1980's. Modern cars just do not break nearly as often and require a pittance of maintenance compared to a 1972 Maverick. 10,000-mile oil changes, 100,000- mile spark plug changes, 50,000-mile airfilter changes. 100,000-mile drivetrain fluid changes. Sealed wheel bearings. LOL, I could go on and on. Oh, a trouble code comes up, plug in a OBDII scan tool on your smart phone and read the code, and go look at the system/sensor throwing the light. Compared to: a fouled/burnt spark plug; clogged jet; holed carb float; sticking choke plate; worn fuel pump diaphragm; bad condenser; ill-gapped points; burnt points; leaking vacuum advance; carboned distributor cap? Please...

BTY we just took our then 21 year-old BMW Z3 across country in 2017, so I'm no stranger to old cars and road trips. My Honda MC hits 23 this year. I have a 2006 BMW with 415,000 miles on it (original drivetrain). It runs almost as good as the day I picked it up with 3 delivery miles on the ODO. No 1970's era car would ever go 400,000 miles without replacement of major components. LOL.
Yeah sorry im 37 and havent ever bought into the luxury stuff yet. Unless you are talking a 70s van with a bed, thats lux! There have been plenty classics go 300,000 plus. BMW or honda would never make that with me because I just wouldnt drive em. This isnt a matter of who is right. Its preference, new stuff is fine, for a while. As with any system the more complex, the more likely to have failure. An old car without the luxuries, but with nice feature like coilovers, OD transmissions, electronic ignition and a modern carburetor. Will last a very long time if cared for. Unfortunately everything from a factory then and now is compromised for the masses and some version of greater good. I doubt any manufacturer has ever built more than 1000 perfect cars that have zero flaws or compromises that may later bit them.

But for the purposes of this thread, I would totally rather a built up and gone through classic, for any use i would ever need.
Sponsored

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I lived the 70's, don't need to go back to no AC. Plugs, points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, belts, and the list goes on. Everything rattled. The rubber rotted. No overdrive gears and 3 gears was the norm. A big tire was a 31. No Lockers. But,,,, if it didn't run it was fixable on the trail without a computer. I could probably drive a 2023 off into the sunset.

OP
OP

Dgold7500

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If the 22' ever arrives, it won't be replacing anything, just adding to the existing ones.
Screenshot_20210716-183037_Gallery.jpg

20140826_201957_zpsm7ddxgws.jpg

2018-04-07 21.18.16.jpg

[/QUOTE
I lived the 70's, don't need to go back to no AC. Plugs, points, condenser, rotor, cap, wires, belts, and the list goes on. Everything rattled. The rubber rotted. No overdrive gears and 3 gears was the norm. A big tire was a 31. No Lockers. But,,,, if it didn't run it was fixable on the trail without a computer. I could probably drive a 2023 off into the sunset.
I am 46, so I am not young. But I love all these posts of people that actually drove these vehicles in the ‘70s because I was just a little kid then.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am 46, so I am not young. But I love all these posts of people that actually drove these vehicles in the ‘70s because I was just a little kid then.
I'm 48yo, and grew up around them, we owned one, my friends dad's owned them too. None of those are still on the road today unfortunately. Can't imagine not owning one or driving one(or working on one lol).

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm hoping that one day someone will be asking would you rather have this 2052 EV Bronco, or the kick-ass 2021 Bronco reboot, and I can say, well the 2052 will be my DD, but my classic 2021 is the one I drool over and cruise around on the weekends.

Sponsored

Ckrrm3

Big Bend
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 3.5 Ecoboost, Fusion 1.6 Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
75 for me no question. In a few years your 21 will be one of millions and the 75 will still be one in a million.
I agree! No question here. I would take the 75 all day long! I should have been tracking down an old Bronco or a scout. I could have restored one in the time I’ve been waiting for my Bronco that may never come…..