Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

yowzers, almost 60k and no sasquatch! Sas alone is the deal to be had between the two.
Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wildtrak <-> Mojave
Badlands <-> Rubicon

Also, you don't need to add the $595 for the rock rails on the Badlands. They're standard. If you really wanted to make the Badlands equal in MSRP, once you remove the unnecessary charge for rock rails, add Squatch but that might may it too unfair to the Rubicon.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good Point. We will do a MOPAR lift after delivery to "even them up".
Point to Ford Bronco already. No need to wait to do it after delivery. You will get it when you get it from the dealer at not extra cost after MSRP. ;)

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Greetings,

My daughter and I decided to do a project and pit the Bronco against the Wrangler. We each have a JLUR now. We are not the first to make these comparisons and I am sure not the last. We have been fleshing our the project while we wait for our Bronco order to come up. Ford Dealer called last week, so we are starting the process. She gets the Wrangler and I get the Bronco. We are not hard core off-roaders or multi-day overlanders, but do enjoy medium level excursions. This is about our journey. Our ownership experience. Our goals and comparisons may not meet everyone else's expectations. Although, we hope a few people are able to get some value out of it.

P.S. We have been convinced. Badlands it is.
It will be fun if you do it on a youtube channel and not just to express the buying experience and performance between both. Also to watch what after market option you will go with and how easy it's to install after market option on both units. keep us posted if you decide to open a youtube channel for this.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Michael, I don't know if it's been mentioned or not because there are a lot of post already, and I could have missed it. You didn't mention engine choice, so I thought I mention them. Owning a 2019 JLUS 4 door with the 3.6L/auto I will say it's a hell of a combination. Smooth running, with smooth shifts, and always in the correct gear. But, that 3.6L is a different animal than Jeeps 2.0L turbo, and of course either of the Bronco's turbo engines. Just a though if you want to match up the engines closer to get a better comparison on the power of both vehicles.

Brichan

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the next few days we will be ordering our new Bronco Wildtrak AND a Wrangler Rubicon. We will be doing a series of comparisons starting with the ordering process culminating with off/on-road performance testing. We are trying to match the options as close as possible to do a fair comparison.

The current status of this endeavor is we have an appointment to order our Bronco 2/15/2021. Based on feedback from the dealer on delivery, we will time our Wrangler order to arrive similarly.

It's difficult to make the vehicles exactly the same. And arguably different models may compare better. This is our best shot based on our reservation and personal preferences. It took quite a few options to make the Wrangler competitive with the Bronco. We have a few days before we need to lock in our Bronco and probably months before ordering the Wrangler, so any suggestions to make them more comparable are welcome. We have left a few options off both so we can compare adding those after delivery (i.e. winches, lifts, 37-40"" tires, tire carrier, leather)

Here is our configurations: (UPDATED with Badlands)

2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrack
LUX Package $3,590
Modular Bumper $825
Towing $595
Rock Rails $595
$56,575

or

2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
LUX Package $5,085
MIC Roof
Towing $595
Rock Rails $595
$56,545

2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Red Paint $245
Front Camera $595
Black Hard Top $1,395
8.4 Nav with Alpine Premium Audio $1,895
Remote Start $495
Keyless Entry $545
Advanced Safety $795
Safety Group $895
Trailer-Tow $795
LED Lighting $1,295
Steel Bumper Group $1,645
Cold Weather Group $995
3.6L Engine $1,500
8-Speed Trans $1,500
Rock-Trac 4WD $695
$58,500

So the first comparison is value. the vehicles are coming in within a couple thousand dollars. The Bronco edging out the Rubicon. However, due to launch demand for the Bronco, our actual cost (after dealer discounts) for the Jeep is likely to be several thousand dollars below MSRP bringing is line with the Bronco, if not less. There have been plenty of feature and spec comparisons on this forum, so I won't repeat those in this post.

We will be doing head-to-head / side-by-side comparisons on individual aspects of each vehicle and the experience as a whole. This includes the buying experience. Unfortunately, part of that experience involves waiting for Bronco production to meet demand. Ordering the Wrangler to coincide the timing with the Bronco will be tricky as our Ford dealership is reluctant to predict our delivery date.

I hope you will join us in this experiment and follow along on our progress.
Doesn’t badlands come standard with rock rails? I thought that was a B&P error that allowed you to add rock rails. Also, wildtrack doesn’t have bash plates as well, so that would need to be added to match the BL.

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Its an interesting exercise. I'm sure you & your daughter will have a blast. Enjoy the ride!

After reading your list, there are some comparisons that won't work - like ordering, since Ford is just getting this new Gen launched and Jeep has been moving Wranglers for years.
The aftermarket for Jeep is vibrant, deep and years mature while Bronco aftermarket is yet to get going. There may be others areas of course. No big deal these just get an * as far as I am concerned.

It will be fun to see how they compare from an unbiased end user perspective.

As someone mentioned already, a big part of the Jeep design, that is a difference maker, is the solid front axle & it's durability vs IFS with CV joints etc... So, you really need to beat on them both and prove Bronco "can't" keep up because on the road or Baha the IFS should kill it all day long. If the Bronco is as tough and durable as SFA, well, well, well ---> MIC DROP!

Zap74

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3. Volkswagen Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let him waste $$ he won’t have his wiltrack until next year. By then we will give him the comparison!

Sponsored

Woodwalker

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands is supposed to come with the rock sliders. Dont know why its an add on option on B&P

OP
OP
DubleDown

DubleDown

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 911S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its an interesting exercise. I'm sure you & your daughter will have a blast. Enjoy the ride!

After reading your list, there are some comparisons that won't work - like ordering, since Ford is just getting this new Gen launched and Jeep has been moving Wranglers for years.
The aftermarket for Jeep is vibrant, deep and years mature while Bronco aftermarket is yet to get going. There may be others areas of course. No big deal these just get an * as far as I am concerned.

It will be fun to see how they compare from an unbiased end user perspective.

As someone mentioned already, a big part of the Jeep design, that is a difference maker, is the solid front axle & it's durability vs IFS with CV joints etc... So, you really need to beat on them both and prove Bronco "can't" keep up because on the road or Baha the IFS should kill it all day long. If the Bronco is as tough and durable as SFA, well, well, well ---> MIC DROP!
Those differences are exactly part of the experience. The fact the Wrangler aftermarket is matured and the Bronco is in its infancy will be part of that journey. The subtle and not so subtle differences are the very things that will make the comparison interesting. As we go along, If we find one easier, better performing, a better value, we will share. We are not out to declare a winner. Most have made up their mind anyway. Our goal is to share how living with, enjoying, adventuring and improving our rigs side by side. We are fans of both.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

badlands = rubicon (both come with swaybar disconnects)
The mopar lift does not equal the Sasquatch package.

Sometimes I wonder about people.
So Sasquatch adds lockers, 1” lift, tires, wheels that set out more and 4.70 gearing.

The JL Rubicon has the lockers, about 3/4” lift and 4.10 gearing. Supposedly Jeep says you can put 315s on it. It probably at least needs a leveling kit and maybe wheel spacers at least to do it without rubbing. Then there is the regearing: while 4.10 is in the green zone for 315s, 4.56 would probably be better.

The Mopar lift would be like the 2” lift for the Bronco (i.e., higher than Sasquatch)
Sponsored

Last edited: