First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I appreciate all your points...I'm still vacillating...I drove up to show the mechanics at my dealership and they were very positive with it being a 2000lb pop up trailer and a 190lb tongue weight...I'm not questioning any of your points...they are all valid...I'm just trying to determine what the best solution is...thank so much for all of your input.
So I have a 2500# travel trailer and a 2 door (with the same hitch extender). It is at the limit of what I consider acceptable for the 2 door Bronco at speeds up to about 75 mph (but it is far better at 70 mph). I have towed it numerous times over 350 miles on Texas hill country interstate (I-10), it's fine and not a problem. I would estimate the tongue weight at around 250#. This is without a weight distribution hitch (planned for later) and OEM suspension (Badlands non-Sasquatch).

Trailer sway control only kicked in once when I was in some thick San Antonio traffic and maneuvering at speed (75ish). Otherwise, all my trips have been completely uneventful, even in cross-winds.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I have a 2500# travel trailer and a 2 door (with the same hitch extender). It is at the limit of what I consider acceptable for the 2 door Bronco at speeds up to about 75 mph (but it is far better at 70 mph). I have towed it numerous times over 350 miles on Texas hill country interstate (I-10), it's fine and not a problem. I would estimate the tongue weight at around 250#. This is without a weight distribution hitch (planned for later) and OEM suspension (Badlands non-Sasquatch).

Trailer sway control only kicked in once when I was in some thick San Antonio traffic and maneuvering at speed (75ish). Otherwise, all my trips have been completely uneventful, even in cross-winds.
Thanks for letting me know...I've had so many different opinions, all good ones and that's why it makes it a little confusing. Knowing you are driving about the same set up helps a lot...also talking to two of the Ford mechanics at my dealership was also reassuring...Thanks again!!!...Amos

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious how you weighed the tongue weight...I've looked at tongue scales and a nice one is $150.00 and I don't think I'll use it much...any thoughts?
I might be a cave man here… 230 is at the upper limit of what I can lift and I can just lift the tongue of the trailer. No fancy dancy scales here.

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 13' trailer, so when hooking to my WT, what I do is get the bronco real close to the trailer hitch, then I open the rear door hook the trailer to the hitch, lock the hitch in place, close the door... a bit extra work, but it works.

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 13' trailer, so when hooking to my WT, what I do is get the bronco real close to the trailer hitch, then I open the rear door hook the trailer to the hitch, lock the hitch in place, close the door... a bit extra work, but it works.
I never thought of that...it is one of my problems where the tongue latch is hitting the spare...I'll give it a try...Thanks!!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much is the drop and what length hitch are you using on your Wild Track? Mine is a 13.5 inch length and 2 inch drop...technically 13.5 inch from receiver from the center of the ball to the receiver pin...if that makes sense...I have a picture with a tape measure in my first post you can see

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yep I do this everytime with our WT cause it still has the spare..It mosty only hauls a little 300-900lbs diesel fuel trailer .

On my FE w/o spare it's a non issue...for heavy towing (over 4,000 lbs and 400+ tounge weight) I recommend taking the spare off. the 100+ lbs right over the hitch makes a noticeable difference.
I have 5 different trailers, I tow ALOT.

Footer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2023 Badlands, Sasquatch and my Rockwood 640 LTD scale weighed in at 1990 lbs and a tongue weight of 190lbs. I'm worried about a 13 inch extended tongue I needed to use because the trailer crank would hit the spare tire and interfered with the tongue ball latch. Can anyone please give me your opinion on if I am cantilevering too far from the standard 9 inch tongue? I have pictures of everything for you to see. Any thoughts or suggestions are Greatly appreciated...
IMG_2526.jpeg
IMG_2520.jpeg
I had a tongue jack like that once and if I remember correctly, you could unbolt it from the frame and turn it so that the crank handle was in a different position. I don't know it you can do that on yours but if so, I would turn it and use the drop hitch.

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a tongue jack like that once and if I remember correctly, you could unbolt it from the frame and turn it so that the crank handle was in a different position. I don't know it you can do that on yours but if so, I would turn it and use the drop hitch.
I dis-assembled the crank thinking the same thing...knock the roll pin out of the gear took it apart and tried to re-assemble 180 degrees but the pipe slots are different, so I had to put it back the original way...I thought that was a simple fix...nope. I'm still flirting with the side retractable trailer crank...

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dis-assembled the crank thinking the same thing...knock the roll pin out of the gear took it apart and tried to re-assemble 180 degrees but the pipe slots are different, so I had to put it back the original way...I thought that was a simple fix...nope. I'm still flirting with the side retractable trailer crank...
I just ordered one of these this week for one of my equipment trailers (Not one I tow behind my Bronco)... they make a lighter version for less money too (2000lb, I think) But it would probably be a good solution to the crank position problem..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZJM24X?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Sponsored
OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just ordered one of these this week for one of my equipment trailers (Not one I tow behind my Bronco)... they make a lighter version for less money too (2000lb, I think) But it would probably be a good solution to the crank position problem..

That might work...thanks for sending it!!!

Jeffal

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I raised the spare rather instead of extending the hitch.

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I raised the spare rather instead of extending the hitch.
Now you have my interest...can you show me what you did please?

Jeffal

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs