Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I spent some time perusing the site this weekend I was taken aback by some things.

To me (as a 47 year old guy) the Bronco harkens back to the rugged individualists like our fathers and grandfathers. A tough as nails ride that could do things unheard of at the time for a commercially produced vehicle.

But are we too modern? Are we too soft?

I see threads complaining about not being able to get air conditioned seats at a certain trim level. Do you think your grandad was worried about cold air blowing up his rear end while he ran his Bronco down to the lake to go fishing? If cold air up the backside is so important then just maybe a vehicle designed to have the top and doors off may not be right for you.

Lots of complaints about vinyl seats being too hot and sweaty. Basically, see the above comments. Some of y'all never rode around on vinyl bench seats in your grandmas old car without air conditioning back in the day and it shows. I can remember peeling myself off the vinyl/pleather seats in an old VW my aunt drove back then. No permanent harm. You too shall survive.

I saw some nit picking about not having built in garage door openers in the visors at some trim levels. Really? Are we really this needy? Is the indignity of having to carry around a garage door opener just going to be a deal breaker? It's possibly the most capable off road vehicle straight off the showroom floor ever produced. . . but we're going to stress no opener. C'mon man.

Complaints about not being able to get a 12 inch screen at some trims abound as well. You're driving a vehicle, not watching netflix. You don't need a giant flat screen planted in the middle of your dash in order to properly operate your rig. Look out the window. See the world around you. Pay attention to the idiots driving around looking at their screen(s) and take evasive action. Stop staring at the thing parked in your dash. It's overkill.

I think some here may be better serviced by getting something like a Land Rover/Range Rover or other luxury SUV. There you can ride around pampered, cold air blowing up your arse, as you push the button to open the garage to park your ride in so it won't dare get dirty. I've owned those. They are great. But they are a FAR cry from their off road/rugged heritage. If that's what you want or need, go get it.

A Bronco is going to be many different things to many different people but the breed/brand is hard and outdoorsy. It's not refinement and luxury. It's rugged and rough around the edges. It is not skinny jeans sipping a latte on the way to spin class . . . it's wearing carharts with some black coffee on the way to spend time in the outdoors on a mountain bike. So behave accordingly.

Just one grumpy old man opinion. Rant is over. Now, get off my lawn. ;-)
Careful here DAWG, I got chastised a couple weeks ago in a thread (now deleted comments) where I called out the softness of some of the snowflakes and encouraged them to actually go outside and wheel and go camping. Boy did they get lit up. Was more challenging them to get out of their cushy comfort zones rather than make fun.

Anyway, you're spot on here, but there are a few caveats just to be fair that are worth pointing out. First, granddads F-150 with the vinyl was cheap as hell, so were the cars you've mentioned. Bronco is priced sort of like a luxury car, so expectations do expand once you go upmarket.

I was one of those Land Rover guys you mention (took no offense), as I was cross shopping the new Defender (which is just too much lux and $$), as I wanted to totally pivot from performance cars to off road (own an old 99 Disco for playing in dirt, mud, n such).

Bronco has a trim for everyone and will ride better too. However, off road, there are some serious compromises for wheeling on rocks or on the East half of the country due to the number of trees we deal with in the woods.

Lots of guys from places where wheeling isn't as popular, so they want the rugged looks that can go topless, capability for times like floods, trips to beach, light camping, etc, and that's all just great.

If it encourages more folks to get from under the TV and off these computers, then I'm all for it. Ford needs lots of sales from these folks to fund R&D on Raptors and the like.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MCG DAWG

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Careful here DAWG, I got chastised a couple weeks ago in a thread (now deleted comments) where I called out the softness of some of the snowflakes and encouraged them to actually go outside and wheel and go camping. Boy did they get lit up. Was more challenging them to get out of their cushy comfort zones rather than make fun.

Anyway, you're spot on here, but there are a few caveats just to be fair that are worth pointing out. First, granddads F-150 with the vinyl was cheap as hell, so were the cars you've mentioned. Bronco is priced sort of like a luxury car, so expectations do expand once you go upmarket.

I was one of those Land Rover guys you mention (took no offense), as I was cross shopping the new Defender (which is just too much lux and $$), as I wanted to totally pivot from performance cars to off road (own an old 99 Disco for playing in dirt, mud, n such).

Bronco has a trim for everyone and will ride better too. However, off road, there are some serious compromises for wheeling on rocks or on the East half of the country due to the number of trees we deal with in the woods.

Lots of guys from places where wheeling isn't as popular, so they want the rugged looks that can go topless, capability for times like floods, trips to beach, light camping, etc, and that's all just great.

If it encourages more folks to get from under the TV and off these computers, then I'm all for it. Ford needs lots of sales from these folks to fund R&D on Raptors and the like.
See earlier reply I had here. I miss my old 98 Disco too. It was a fun ride. Glad tohear you were smart enough to keep yours.

You make excellent points.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

#BringBackWingWindows

I was just talking about that last week. I love those windows. As much or as little air as you want. Driving around with the window down now isn't near as much fun as it used to be.

Last edited:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
They didn't have air conditioning back in the old days. You know what they did to deal with the heat?

They invented air conditioning.

But anyway, internet forums are where people come to complain. Plenty of us I'm sure can manage just fine with a utilitarian vehicle and some may even revel in it - but there's nothing wrong with wanting something nice every now and then.
Bingo. You can use this line of thinking about literally anything and it just leads you to “technological advancement is bad.” In this day and age, we are absolutely surrounded by luxury and tech. Would our ancestors envy us if they even had an inkling of what was to come? Heck yes. But they were also very practical people (you had to be to survive) and they used the technology they had available to its fullest extent. I’m sure there were musket enthusiasts who hated the advent of the rifled barrel, but I’m sure most people loved the advancement and advantages it provided. Modern luxury stuff is no different.
Yes - and Jeep has found this out too - there is definitely a large segment of buyers attracted to rugged looks, but still want their Explorer Platinum level of ride and luxury.

To me, it’s OK because that promised volume gets us the Bronco back - and I’ll just get a Badlands with very few options and go adventuring.
Don’t say that in the Jeep forums. People were talking about how the Bronco is garbage because you can’t easily fit 37’s or 40’s with a hockey puck lift. When I mentioned that probably 10% of people with a JL have larger than a 35” tire my inbox got exploded lol.
Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 09.42.44.png

Eh.

Not only do I have nothing to prove to others or myself, I actually believe it's okay to "pamper" one's self... *especially* if they've put the time in.

Counter point: For people who have stayed up late way too many nights, slept on the wet ground enough times, carried their weight and sweat through protective equipment often enough, even just worked their butts off to put food on the table and keep a roof over their head... it's actually okay if they want a heated seat, or a 12" nav screen with SiriusXM radio and Apple Car Play... and even complain about seat coverings in a vehicle.

I don't believe that the uncomfortableness of a driver's seat is the measure of how "tough" a person is.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm saving up to splurge for the Lux package, because life is too short to torture yourself.

$0.02
Yup. My first boss and good friend spent the first 25 years of his life in South Dakota growing up on the res. Tied rebar for 8 years to make ends meet and realized he needed to start his own company to really “make it.” Now he has a king ranch F-250; anyone gonna fault him for that?

Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Two thoughts:

1) A quote generally attributed to Socrates starts with "The children now love luxury." It was true in 400bc and it's true today.

2) Forums are populated by complainers. This thread is no different.

Nate

OP
OP
MCG DAWG

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds like you want the 1g forum. This is 6g. We have a lux package.
As a North Georgian I discount opinions of all things Atlanta.

Except for Truist Park.

And sometimes the Benz when the Dawgs are playing.

Also Fontaines in the Highlands. Moes and Joes too.

That girl I dated that went to Tech was ok as well.

But other than that, ATL doesn't count.

(typed in sarcasm font, fwiw)

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

it's how things are evolving. gone are the days of doing math in your head. now computers and calculators have taken over basic math while our kids are learning how to code and do much more difficult formulas in school. cursive is starting to be put on the back burner for typing skills.
bringing that evolution to the automotive industry, we have figured out ways to make materials do a better job and sometimes more than one job. instead of tons of buttons and wiring, save the weight and materials for a touch screen. i was on the defender forums a while back and everyone there wanted the same old defender yet there was the complaints of the lack of space for your arms while driving, water leaks, breaking parts, tailgate/door sagging, rough and loud ride, and lots of other issues that the new one solved but the "old guys" hated on it cause it was new. the human race can only evolve as quick as we can accept new things.

jackwise

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dad's 1973 VW Beetle had a built-in garage door opener. It was ME. He'd pull up and tell me to get out and open the garage door. Yes, there was a time when most houses didn't have a garage door opener...

OP
OP
MCG DAWG

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dad's 1973 VW Beetle had a built-in garage door opener. It was ME. He'd pull up and tell me to get out and open the garage door. Yes, there was a time when most houses didn't have a garage door opener...
We got a new house out in the country when I was 5. I was insanely proud when my dad presented me with a keychain with a house key and more importantly a key to the locking garage door. It was 5-6 years before I realized that I was in fact the "automatic door opener". No matter the weather, no matter day or night, my little butt was getting out of the care and unlocking opening the door!

Sponsored

dcdtn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Escape, 18 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It’s so obvious that Ford is trying to squeeze every dime they can out of Bronco customers. Brilliant marketing, honestly.

Want a no frills model with vinyl seats and flooring and steelies? “That’ll be an $8000 up charge sir for our Black Diamond model”.

Want a heated steering wheel like Jeep offers on Wrangler Sport and even Cherokee base model? “That’ll be $50-60k for an OB or BL with lux package.

I’m glad they are offering a reasonably priced base model with power windows, mirrors, AC, and 8 inch screen. Still haven’t decided whether to pay the BD or OB extortion fee.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I've owned a Disco, LR3, and LR4 (both LR's were my wifes). The old Discovery II was plenty capable. Honestly hated I ever sold it. Should have kept it as a hunting truck. The 4dr Bronco reminds me of those old boxy discoveries. No one has the as strong an off road pedigree as Range Rover/Land Rover. They'll always retain some capability but it's definitely a luxury brand now.

Saw an old Defender 90 ride through town this weekend. I drooled a bit in envy.
I had a 99 Disco for ten years. My wife has a 12 Evoke. We have 182,000 miles on it. Sold my 15 sport in 2019. Very luxury but still more capable than pretty much any other stock vehicle except a Jeep or FJ.
Looking forward to Bronco Bad Lands.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See earlier reply I had here. I miss my old 98 Disco too. It was a fun ride. Glad tohear you were smart enough to keep yours.

You make excellent points.
Just caught up and read it, yes, I love that Disco, it's kept at my parents house at Smith Lake in Alabama. Almost sold it several times, but just couldn't, and it's modded like crazy and sits on 37s. I wasn't the smart one, dad insisted, he loves it. You're right about LR now, far too cushy and expensive.

You and I have some similarities in interests while being different. You have a serious pickup and I've been rolling with the German's for many years now.

Feels good to put all that aside and come home to Ford. The pretentious BS has become too much.

See the range of comments here, the Bronco has a ton of cross appeal. Never seen that in a vehicle before, not even Wrangler.

Hum-anoid

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 F350, 2008 Sportster, 1976 Chevy G30
Your Bronco Model
Base
As I spent some time perusing the site this weekend I was taken aback by some things.

To me (as a 47 year old guy) the Bronco harkens back to the rugged individualists like our fathers and grandfathers. A tough as nails ride that could do things unheard of at the time for a commercially produced vehicle.

But are we too modern? Are we too soft?

I see threads complaining about not being able to get air conditioned seats at a certain trim level. Do you think your grandad was worried about cold air blowing up his rear end while he ran his Bronco down to the lake to go fishing? If cold air up the backside is so important then just maybe a vehicle designed to have the top and doors off may not be right for you.

Lots of complaints about vinyl seats being too hot and sweaty. Basically, see the above comments. Some of y'all never rode around on vinyl bench seats in your grandmas old car without air conditioning back in the day and it shows. I can remember peeling myself off the vinyl/pleather seats in an old VW my aunt drove back then. No permanent harm. You too shall survive.

I saw some nit picking about not having built in garage door openers in the visors at some trim levels. Really? Are we really this needy? Is the indignity of having to carry around a garage door opener just going to be a deal breaker? It's possibly the most capable off road vehicle straight off the showroom floor ever produced. . . but we're going to stress no opener. C'mon man.

Complaints about not being able to get a 12 inch screen at some trims abound as well. You're driving a vehicle, not watching netflix. You don't need a giant flat screen planted in the middle of your dash in order to properly operate your rig. Look out the window. See the world around you. Pay attention to the idiots driving around looking at their screen(s) and take evasive action. Stop staring at the thing parked in your dash. It's overkill.

I think some here may be better serviced by getting something like a Land Rover/Range Rover or other luxury SUV. There you can ride around pampered, cold air blowing up your arse, as you push the button to open the garage to park your ride in so it won't dare get dirty. I've owned those. They are great. But they are a FAR cry from their off road/rugged heritage. If that's what you want or need, go get it.

A Bronco is going to be many different things to many different people but the breed/brand is hard and outdoorsy. It's not refinement and luxury. It's rugged and rough around the edges. It is not skinny jeans sipping a latte on the way to spin class . . . it's wearing carharts with some black coffee on the way to spend time in the outdoors on a mountain bike. So behave accordingly.

Just one grumpy old man opinion. Rant is over. Now, get off my lawn. ;-)
This take is so bad, it's the post that got me to quit lurking. How expensive were those early broncos? I haven't had working A/C in a vehicle since 2010, and honestly it sucks. And I bet the drivers of those early broncos also realized that showing up everywhere kinda sweaty ALL the time isn't that cool. So they put A/C in their broncos and moved on with their lives. Wanting features in your expensive modern vehicle does not make you soft, but gatekeeping a civilian vehicle (and coffee), especially one meant pretty specifically for recreation certainly does.

P.S. some of the toughest men and women I know drink coffee that isn't just black. Just like some of the softest little baby dudes I've met wear carhartts. Which brings me to my actual point. It's like what the Scots say about whiskey, the best way to drink it is how you like. So be it coffee, the kind of pants you wear, or the Bronco you drive, get it the way you want.
That being said, I will give you that reading all the complaining about every little feature does get a little grating sometimes.
Sponsored