Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do expect to see a number of used Broncos on the market 6-12 months after deliveries start. Reading a lot of threads about people new to these type vehicles. Even though it's a 2021 model, it's still going to be rough compared to a modern SUV. Some people aren't going to like the ride and noise.

This isn't new to the Bronco. I see it on truck forums where someone gets a truck for the first time and complains about it behaving like a truck.
Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If auto manufacturers didn't keep putting more and more creature comforts into vehicles, people wouldn't want them or feel they need them. I'm as guilty as the next "Joe" for wanting some of those creature comforts. Power windows and locks, a/c, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated seats and steering wheel, blind spot monitoring, Bluetooth and streaming audio. Beyond that I could easily live without any others.

Autonomous crap is where I draw the line. Don't want it and don't need it. I am a very good driver so I don't need my vehicle taking over. And I think some of the autonomous features are dangerous anyway.

But everyone has different needs and wants. If something like ventilated seats is a deal breaker, or an iPad size touchscreen isn't available in a certain trim, maybe the Bronco isn't the right vehicle for them. There are plenty of other options out there. You don't have to have a Bronco just because it's the new hotness.

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I look at it this way, I spent time sleeping in the dirt and tents, could I buy a tent to go camping, of course, but look at the tear drops that have AC/heat, extra storage, and electricity to plug my phone in. I'll take that please, over a tent any day if I can afford it. Same with my Bronco that I'm paying more than my wife's uncle spent on their house ($20k, now worth $500k). Could I buy another car with no AC, no power steering, etc. Yes I can, but I'm paying for GOAT while in some sort of comfort because I'm paying for a brand new car in 2021 or 2022 or 2023, whenever this thing finally gets released haha. Have I gone soft, yes, yes I have. But I'm also not 18 anymore and neither is my wife :p.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seen a few comments about the price and how this thing cost more than grandpappys old rig, or how its not 1970 anymore... fair enough but people also need to remember inflation, here's and example. Also remember this doesn't even take into account other monumental improvements in vehicles over time. By any measure you dollar is going further now, and you are not only getting more value, you are seriously not that far off in initial pricepoint anyway (its at least within the same half order of magnitude)

Ford Bronco Bronco Owners Going Soft? 1598365499881

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
#BringBackWingWindows
YES!

#BringBackWingWindows

Can we have the kick switch high beams back too? Or the fresh air vents down in the footwells? New stuff may have luxury but old cars did plenty of things better... and I'm a kid compared to many of the folks here.

SmartSelect_20200825-062431_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

some would consider me a millennial, i am 31 and I 100% agree with you, OP. All the things you pointed out, i said to myself "i remember reading that post and thinking the same thing"

I say let them weed themselves out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MCG DAWG

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This take is so bad, it's the post that got me to quit lurking. How expensive were those early broncos? I haven't had working A/C in a vehicle since 2010, and honestly it sucks. And I bet the drivers of those early broncos also realized that showing up everywhere kinda sweaty ALL the time isn't that cool. So they put A/C in their broncos and moved on with their lives. Wanting features in your expensive modern vehicle does not make you soft, but gatekeeping a civilian vehicle (and coffee), especially one meant pretty specifically for recreation certainly does.

P.S. some of the toughest men and women I know drink coffee that isn't just black. Just like some of the softest little baby dudes I've met wear carhartts. Which brings me to my actual point. It's like what the Scots say about whiskey, the best way to drink it is how you like. So be it coffee, the kind of pants you wear, or the Bronco you drive, get it the way you want.
That being said, I will give you that reading all the complaining about every little feature does get a little grating sometimes.
The entire thing was a ploy to draw you out of your hole and get you posting. So I'm going to consider it a win! You're welcome.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I tend to agree with the OP...until I try some of the more modern conveniences. I had to drive some distance at night last year in a rental vehicle. My current truck doesn't have adaptive cruise control nor auto switching high beams, if I had never used them, I would have said they're a waste of money. The rental vehicle had both of those and they worked beautifully, they made the night drive much, much easier. This was for a night drive on the interstate in the middle of nowhere. The headlights switched back and forth between high beams and low beams whenever anyone was coming the other way, if I got briefly stuck behind a truck, the vehicle slowed down on its own, as soon as I pulled out to pass, the vehicle went right back to exactly my set speed, both worked really great. I was very surprised finding myself thinking I'd like both of those in my next vehicle.

OP
OP
MCG DAWG

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I do expect to see a number of used Broncos on the market 6-12 months after deliveries start. Reading a lot of threads about people new to these type vehicles. Even though it's a 2021 model, it's still going to be rough compared to a modern SUV. Some people aren't going to like the ride and noise.

This isn't new to the Bronco. I see it on truck forums where someone gets a truck for the first time and complains about it behaving like a truck.

My only Jeep was a 95 YJ. 3 inch body lift on 33's. Buddys warned me "it rides like a jeep". Until you've owned one or ridden in one a lot you really don't understand that. Definitely not for everyone. I loved that Jeep though. But I sure wasn't taking it on long trips. Would have felt like going several rounds with Tyson when I arrived.

I don't expect the new Bronco to be nearly as rough riding but I don't expect a cadillac ride either.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford Bronco Bronco Owners Going Soft? SmartSelect_20200825-062431_Gallery

Eh.

Not only do I have nothing to prove to others or myself, I actually believe it's okay to "pamper" one's self... *especially* if they've put the time in.

Counter point: For people who have stayed up late way too many nights, slept on the wet ground enough times, carried their weight and sweat through protective equipment often enough, even just worked their butts off to put food on the table and keep a roof over their head... it's actually okay if they want a heated seat, or a 12" nav screen with SiriusXM radio and Apple Car Play... and even complain about seat coverings in a vehicle.

I don't believe that the uncomfortableness of a driver's seat is the measure of how "tough" a person is. I think it's appropriate that people manage their expectations about what the Bronco is (and is not) designed to be, but I'm not passing any judgment on someone who wishes it had ventilated seats.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm saving up to splurge for the Lux package, because life is too short to torture yourself.

$0.02
In support of the OP (who I think was writing with sarcasm), it is sort of humorous that much of the angst on this board has been about luxuries and looks, not utility for a vehicle that is supposed to be about utility. e.g., You'd think it was the end of the world because a limited edition model comes in a limited interior color.

To be fair there have been many threads on availability of utilitarian features on all models.

The answer is quite simple - besides FE, it is pretty obvious which models are utilitarian and which are less utilitarian - when build and price comes out, start from your basic need and find the best value variation of cost and feature for you.

e.g., If you have to have the utility of rubber floors and marine vinyl seats, you have a choice of two models to build from. (Note: I have a Rubicon, and you don't have to have these - not even in a Badlands - so if a model without that is better for you, my advice is go with that model.)

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I spent enough time driving, riding, or hugging the 240B in one of these in full battle rattle in 120+ degree heat. If I don't want to carry an easily stolen doodad to open my garage door or I want cold air blowing on my b---sack without getting pulled over for it, then that's what I wanna pay for.

Ford Bronco Bronco Owners Going Soft? 080914-F-7792W-062

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I spent some time perusing the site this weekend I was taken aback by some things.

To me (as a 47 year old guy) the Bronco harkens back to the rugged individualists like our fathers and grandfathers. A tough as nails ride that could do things unheard of at the time for a commercially produced vehicle.

But are we too modern? Are we too soft?

I see threads complaining about not being able to get air conditioned seats at a certain trim level. Do you think your grandad was worried about cold air blowing up his rear end while he ran his Bronco down to the lake to go fishing? If cold air up the backside is so important then just maybe a vehicle designed to have the top and doors off may not be right for you.

Lots of complaints about vinyl seats being too hot and sweaty. Basically, see the above comments. Some of y'all never rode around on vinyl bench seats in your grandmas old car without air conditioning back in the day and it shows. I can remember peeling myself off the vinyl/pleather seats in an old VW my aunt drove back then. No permanent harm. You too shall survive.

I saw some nit picking about not having built in garage door openers in the visors at some trim levels. Really? Are we really this needy? Is the indignity of having to carry around a garage door opener just going to be a deal breaker? It's possibly the most capable off road vehicle straight off the showroom floor ever produced. . . but we're going to stress no opener. C'mon man.

Complaints about not being able to get a 12 inch screen at some trims abound as well. You're driving a vehicle, not watching netflix. You don't need a giant flat screen planted in the middle of your dash in order to properly operate your rig. Look out the window. See the world around you. Pay attention to the idiots driving around looking at their screen(s) and take evasive action. Stop staring at the thing parked in your dash. It's overkill.

I think some here may be better serviced by getting something like a Land Rover/Range Rover or other luxury SUV. There you can ride around pampered, cold air blowing up your arse, as you push the button to open the garage to park your ride in so it won't dare get dirty. I've owned those. They are great. But they are a FAR cry from their off road/rugged heritage. If that's what you want or need, go get it.

A Bronco is going to be many different things to many different people but the breed/brand is hard and outdoorsy. It's not refinement and luxury. It's rugged and rough around the edges. It is not skinny jeans sipping a latte on the way to spin class . . . it's wearing carharts with some black coffee on the way to spend time in the outdoors on a mountain bike. So behave accordingly.

Just one grumpy old man opinion. Rant is over. Now, get off my lawn. ;-)

I get what you are saying..people are so freaking lazy now they would rather order their products online on Chinese product king Amazon and have to send them back when the products don't fit or "not what they thought" than actually Meet with real people in person and support a local community.

When I was a kid I remember when you actually had to get up and change the channel on the tv (I was a human remote for my grand dad), but I do like the remote now.

I love my manual 6 speed GT350 with a normally aspirated engine, but there are times I want an automatic.

Yes a Bronco should be rugged, and yes I want to take the doors off for my "air conditioning" but when I'm not doing that, I don't want my passengers in the back getting cranky.

Ahhh...I Remember when my old 1979 Bronco had the locks on the front axles that I had to go outside and "lock in" and "lock out" and put in reverse a few feet to really get them unlocked ..lol

It was super cool at the time, when I was in High School...

Anyway I agree with you America and it's citizens in many ways have become lazy ..Twinkie people, but many of us still have that American grit.

I can see people paying $50-60,000 wanting to get what they pay for..

I still have my first car (bought it for $400 used) ..a 1969 Ford Torino (428 cobrajet / 4 speed)..so if I want no air, no power steering and sticky vinyl seats.. I have it and I love it

But new Bronco, I do want air and 12" screen, etc etc..just saying

but if the Bronco didn't have those comforts..I would still buy one

aplm7

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you or our grandpas have to commute in that car for 3-4 hours per day "back in the day" in bumper to bumper traffic? No.

Did you have to be nice to everyone when you got there after that ride? No, because you all worked actual physical jobs, not this new service economy crap.

How about doing that commute because of terrible economies forcing you to never own a home? No, your salary could buy a house within a few years, AND provide to build an entire family at the same time.

How about getting to the outdoors? It was probably right in your backyard, instead of 5 hours away we have to do now because that's what it takes to live close enough to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
MCG DAWG

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I spent enough time driving, riding, or hugging the 240B in one of these in full battle rattle in 120+ degree heat. If I don't want to carry an easily stolen doodad to open my garage door or I want cold air blowing on my b---sack without getting pulled over for it, then that's what I wanna pay for.

Ford Bronco Bronco Owners Going Soft? 080914-F-7792W-062
No ball sack AC but you got a ma deuce mounted up top. I'd call it a wash.

Appreciate your service time my friend. That's a bad ass ride you had yourself there.
Sponsored