First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We had a Chrysler mini-van that had a sticker in the engine compartment declaring it met Light Truck emissions. Maybe it is a EPA designation as well as a regional name.
Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a Ford Ranger convertible.
Does that make it a truck?

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just call it a Bronco...it is not actually a car or a truck, it is an off road vehicle, like a jeep (also not a car or a truck)...

Sponsored

EL in NH

Base
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Basesquatch, 2005 HD springer,2010 sporty
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have seen it a grouped with the Mid size SUVs when reading quarterly production numbers… i’m calling it my Bronco or my vehicle.

FrankenRodz

Base
First Name
sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base 2 - Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Few random questions maybe you guys can help me out with, sorry if they're covered elsewhere.
1) Does anyone know of a source for the factory 4 door Wildtrak body graphics? We ordered without and would like to add them now to break up the paint a little.
2) Has anyone rigged something up to remove the hardtop? I have an electric hoist & 10' ceilings in the garage looking for some different ideas for a rigging system.
3) Anyone making front splash guards to fit the sasquatch with side steps yet or an update as to when?
4) Why do some people refer to Broncos as trucks haha, is it a regional thing or nationwide? Around here trucks have beds was just curious.
my wife’s 2005 Dodge Magnum Station Wagon is considered a Truck, because of the square footage of flat cargo area when the back seats are folded down, according to my insurance company.
Ford Bronco Bronco questions 766FE9A2-5B0C-4B20-BCC5-35F35D0FB48E

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ooo!! I can do that one. I has to do with the origins of the Bronco, how vehicles have been traditionally built, with some regional differences added in.

There are two types of basic vehicle designs these days: body-on-frame, and unibody. Body-on-frame is how vehicles have traditionally been built since the beginning of mass-produced vehicles. In the 1960s, manufactures started switching to the unibody platforms on their cars, but the trucks largely remained body-on-frame due to their added strength and rigidity.

It is still largely the same today. Trucks are body-on-frame, cars are unibody. For most of its life, the Bronco was based on the F-100/F-150 pickup truck, which obviously had a body-on-frame platform. The new Bronco is based on the T6 platform, which is also a body-on-frame platform used in the modern Ford Ranger. Therefore, the Bronco is a truck, because it is based on a truck platform and has a body-on-frame design.

Admittedly things get really messy when you deal with crossovers and SUVs. Generally speaking most SUVs are body-on-frame, and most crossovers are unibody but that isn't a universal truth. The Jeep Cherokee XJ is considered by many to be the best SUV of the 1990s, but it is a unibody platform. The brand new Ford Maverick is also a unibody platform, and considered by many to be a "fake" truck, despite having a pickup bed like most trucks. And the Bronco Sport is marketed as an SUV, but is based on the same C2 unibody platform as the Maverick. That C2 platform also happens to be the same platform used for the Ford Focus, which most people would probably agree is definitely a car. So yeah, it gets messy.

(Hopefully that wasn't too incredibly confusing.)
Actually the first unibodies were built in the 1930’s. Just sayin’

Sponsored

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually the first unibodies were built in the 1930’s. Just sayin’
Yeah... true, but unibody wasn't industry standard for cars in the 1930s. There were a few of them back then for sure (Lincoln Zephyr comes to mind), but most cars produced back then were still body-on-frame.

I don't really think there is a definitive year that unibody really became THE platform choice for cars... I just picked the 1960s because that's really when the American auto makers started mass-producing unibody compact cars and converting some of their existing cars to unibody.

You could argue that unibody didn't really become standard until much later than the 1960s too if you wanted. There were plenty of full-size cars in the 60s, 70s, and 80s that were massively successful (Crown Victoria, for example). But... eh... whatever.

Last edited:

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can't answer that one, but both my title and my insurance company says "Ford Truck Escape" for my 2014 Escape, which doesn't contain any truck parts like the 2012 and older Escape did. Some things just can't be explained.
And now that I have my Bronco, it shows up on my insurance as "Ford Truck Bronco". Whatever...
Sponsored