Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve spent the last few days plugging in numbers into the calculator and tire websites to find a sweet spot.

I’m not a fan of super wide tires - so, I’ve been looking for something between 10.5-11.5. Looks like the difference in offset is just under 1”.

It looks like the Kenda Klever (35x10.5R17) are the ONLY geometry that fit exactly what I’m looking for - but, I’m not 100% sold on the sidewall design. I’ve been reading that they wear fast too. Rather spend $500 more and have them last 20-30k longer.

As of now I think I’m settling on 285/75R17 (33.8x11.2) - which will get me pretty much any brand. Basically an inch shorter in each direction from Sasquatch. “Should” make up for the offset?

Otherwise 275/80R17 (34.3x10.8) which is damn near perfect - is only available in the Good Year MT/R with Kevlar and are $$$ and have mixed reviews.

I’m going to do some more research and see if I can find other brands in 275/80 - because that seems like the sweet spot.

Then there is rating and that’s another story. Assuming if 90% of my driving will be on the road - but, I’m going to run it through its paces when I do go off-road - C/D rated will be fine? Assuming if it was a dedicated off-roader - E would be the way to go?
Have you considered the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT in 255/85/17?
That is what I plan on putting on my BD when it comes in.
Sponsored

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Got the front shocks and springs installed today. Brought the front up nicely. Havent had much time to ride around but Initial impressions are similar ride under normal conditions.

It ended up being a reasonable investment. I am about $1500 ($1200 parts and shipping, $300 shop) in with the shop doing the front install. Front Springs are short and stiff, even the shop commented when I dropped it off that they would be tough to compress. Can probably save a couple hundred if you can find the right sprung take off coil over set used but I am happy with how it turned out.

20210910_165806.jpg

20211022_160737.jpg

20211022_160810.jpg

20211022_160832.jpg
This looks fantastic. Well done. Does the tire clear in the back with the 3rd brake light?

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Big Diamond I bought the RC brake light relocation kit and installed it before the tires went on. Based on some other's on here it may fit. the soft top rubs on it when all the way down with the relocation kit. Come spring I will take the relocation kit off and see if the tire fits to keep the soft top from rubbing on it.

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Big Diamond I bought the RC brake light relocation kit and installed it before the tires went on. Based on some other's on here it may fit. the soft top rubs on it when all the way down with the relocation kit. Come spring I will take the relocation kit off and see if the tire fits to keep the soft top from rubbing on it.
Good insight on the rubbing. I was looking at that exact relocation kit. j

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So has anyone deciphered all the letters for the springs?

I am trying to figure out which springs go with the squatch shocks for a 2dr BD with a 2.3.
I can tell you how to do it.

Find the VIN number for a 2D BD with a 2.3, same transmission, tow/no tow as appropriate, with squatch and you should be in the ballpark. Take that VIN to a Ford dealer and have them look up the replacement springs and shocks for that particular vehicle.

That's how I did it. I pulled a badlands 2.7 2d, an OBX no squatch, and an OBX squatch to get the part numbers.

VIN for a 2D Badlands 2.3 manual non-squatch w/ tow (suspension w/ most articulation)
1FMDE5CH3MLA76846

Big Bend 2D 2.3 Sasquatch with modular bumper and auto (should be the same as BD Sas)
1FMDE5CH6MLA63508

Base 2D 2.3 Sas with Mod Bumper and Auto (should also be the same, hopefully as above BB)
1FMDE5CH3MLA63658

You should be able to get the right springs and shocks between those VINS.

Last edited:

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was wondering what other differences there may be in the suspension of a non-Sas Badlands and a Badlands with Sas. Obviously it seems springs and shocks but is there a difference in tie-rods, A-arms, other other components?

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was wondering what other differences there may be in the suspension of a non-Sas Badlands and a Badlands with Sas. Obviously it seems springs and shocks but is there a difference in tie-rods, A-arms, other other components?
I'm wondering this as well. I will then do a comparison from stock BL to the stock BD pieces as well to see if its just the coilovers or if anything else is different.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not really, as far the tie rods, A-arms, and other components. The majority of the differences between SAS and NON-SAS come down to the difference between M190 and M210 front differentials; however between Badlands Sas vs Non-Sas there are differences in the half-shafts

The SAS uses:
Right axle MB3Z-3A428-A
Left axle MB3Z-3A427-A

Non-SAS uses:
Right axle MB3Z-3A428-B
Left axle MB3Z-3A427-AB

For instance, there are only one set of part numbers for inner and outer tie rods.

Left/Right inner tie rods MB3Z-3280-A
Left Outer Tie Rod KB3Z-3A130-D
Right Outer Tie Rod MB3Z-3A130-A

There are no differences in the rear suspension other than shocks/springs
There are no differences in the front control arms or knuckles

I got all this data off the following site: https://parts.sheehyfordofrichmond.com/

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not really, as far the tie rods, A-arms, and other components. The majority of the differences between SAS and NON-SAS come down to the difference between M190 and M210 front differentials; however between Badlands Sas vs Non-Sas there are differences in the half-shafts

The SAS uses:
Right axle MB3Z-3A428-A
Left axle MB3Z-3A427-A

Non-SAS uses:
Right axle MB3Z-3A428-B
Left axle MB3Z-3A427-AB

For instance, there are only one set of part numbers for inner and outer tie rods.

Left/Right inner tie rods MB3Z-3280-A
Left Outer Tie Rod KB3Z-3A130-D
Right Outer Tie Rod MB3Z-3A130-A

There are no differences in the rear suspension other than shocks/springs
There are no differences in the front control arms or knuckles

I got all this data off the following site: https://parts.sheehyfordofrichmond.com/
I have to figure out the difference between the BD and the non-SAS BL.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have to figure out the difference between the BD and the non-SAS BL.
The difference is the same (you won't be changing the half-shafts because you have the M190 not the M210, unless you have Sasquatch).

I don't have the 4 door part numbers, but you can get them from @flip.... all you need is some VIN numbers.

So here is the VIN for a 4D 2.7 Badlands Non-Sasquatch with Tow: 1FMEE5DP8MLA93183

Below is a 2 door example of what @flip would send you. Obviously he could send you both front and rear. Order the parts and swap.

Attachments

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m gonna be real I VERY highly doubt this number. It’s probably $1300 for a pair, if not these are some of the most affordable coilovers on the planet.

(For reference the “good” rough country coilovers with a remote reservoir run about $1100 per pair.)
They are some of the most affordable coilovers on the planet! $1392 for all four corners.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They are some of the most affordable coilovers on the planet! $1392 for all four corners.
Yeah, amazing deal for what you get. I just have to decide if i want to void my warranty right up front or not by switching these in.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, amazing deal for what you get. I just have to decide if i want to void my warranty right up front or not by switching these in.
I really doubt that you would void your warranty by switching these in... It's not like they can say, "Your 2.7 engine dropped a valve because you put different shocks and springs on your Bronco". They could however blame a CV failure or a suspension part failure, but even that's unlikely when all the parts for other Broncos are identical to the ones used on the other trim... they would seriously have to prove that the incorrect factory part caused the failure.

Of course, you would lose any warranty on your stock springs and shocks, because you replaced them... but do you really care about that??? You can always put them back in.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really doubt that you would void your warranty by switching these in... It's not like they can say, "Your 2.7 engine dropped a valve because you put different shocks and springs on your Bronco". They could however blame a CV failure or a suspension part failure, but even that's unlikely when all the parts for other Broncos are identical to the ones used on the other trim... they would seriously have to prove that the incorrect factory part caused the failure.

Of course, you would lose any warranty on your stock springs and shocks, because you replaced them... but do you really care about that??? You can always put them back in.
Yeah, i don't care about the warranty on the stock coilovers.
Sponsored