First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I managed to replace the 4 factory 4" with the Focals ACX 100s, and currently have my kick panels removed. to replace the 6.5" with the ACX165s. Before Installing the 6.5" how do I use the mounting bracket (Metra 82-5605) Do I have to remove some of the tabs? The speaker is not sitting flush in it. And do you mount the bracket to the speaker first, or to the vehicle first?
Thank you in advanced!
Sponsored

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I managed to replace the 4 factory 4" with the Focals ACX 100s, and currently have my kick panels removed. to replace the 6.5" with the ACX165s. Before Installing the 6.5" how do I use the mounting bracket (Metra 82-5605) Do I have to remove some of the tabs? The speaker is not sitting flush in it. And do you mount the bracket to the speaker first, or to the vehicle first?
Thank you in advanced!
Speaker to bracket... bracket to vehicle.

I tried getting a head on shot of mine for everyone but you should be able to see how mine is oriented. Hope it helps

20220520_145425.jpg

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used this video as a reference for installing speakers to the Metra brackets - it's for the F150 but it applies to the Bronco. He also showed a neat customization to drill additional holes to route the wiring so it's not pinned down by the bracket.

ASlaugh

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Making up some more speaker connectors for my fellow Bronco owners and reduced the price per pair. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334432880134

I'm told that these work on the Ranger as well, but do not know for sure.

More with bass blockers; 300Hz and 600 Hz coming soon!

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaker to bracket... bracket to vehicle.

I tried getting a head on shot of mine for everyone but you should be able to see how mine is oriented. Hope it helps

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram 20220520_145425
What hardware did you use to attach bracket to speaker? The adapters didn’t come with anything. Speakers came with pointed screws and metal clips.

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What hardware did you use to attach bracket to speaker? The adapters didn’t come with anything. Speakers came with pointed screws and metal clips.
I ended up using some coarse #8 wood screws myself. I have a feeling I'm gonna end up having to pull them off and put something more proper.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used the supplied hardware (the long non-pointed screws) minus the metal clips.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Holy shit- that was harder than I expected! Had to cut screws shorter that mount speaker to bracket. Then getting the top mounting screw was a bitch with the tools I have. My body doesn’t handle tight spaces and contorting to weird positions anymore. Got the Focals in anyway and there is improvement, although subtle. Worth doing but wasn’t much fun.

GreyCactus

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I used the harnesses that we provide at Crutchfield to splice into in order to get a signal for the sub, that way I didn't even disrupt any of the factory speaker wire going to the location.
Could you please send a link to this harness?

PiggyPop

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also check with Saleen, I have a big bend and bought a plug and play wire kit for the six speakers for bronco which caused no cutting splicing etc , 100$ for the pack and it’s a solid company for ford aftermarket parts , took about a week and a half to arrive

Sponsored

raynaldo

Badlands
First Name
raynaldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know where I can find the colored schematic sheets that show how to get to the radio head unit?

ShortBus.cle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I went with the new ACX series from Focal for all speakers. ACX 100 for both 4" pairs, and ACX 165 for the kick panels. I added bass blockers to the front pair, and slim Boom Mat baffles to all speaker locations. You'll see pictures of how I chose to cut the baffles to make them fit into the hole front and back.

I also added the self-powered Kicker 46HS10 to the back, which makes a world of difference! You'd be surprised the amount of bass you get from the sub even with the top off of the Bronco. It's honestly really easy to install in the Bronco. I'll include a picture of the power and signal wire I tucked into the door channel, and then there was already a rubber grommet in the fire wall that I removed and poked a hole through for the power wire. I placed the grommet back into the firewall and it holds the power wire perfectly in place without making any new holes. I used the harnesses that we provide at Crutchfield to splice into in order to get a signal for the sub, that way I didn't even disrupt any of the factory speaker wire going to the location. I also took a pic of that and will include it.

The speaker wire in the roll bar is super short. There are not plug and play harnesses for it, so you have to cut off the connector and you will have to extend those wires where they are so short. That pic will be included as well.

One other pic I'll include that may be helpful is the very easiest spot to pry up the front grilles. I really couldn't get my panel tool under the grille in any other spot until I found this spot.

Volume is great, clarity is great, and that sub rounds it out so well. I'll likely go back in and add a small amp to the speakers in the next couple weeks to take it a step further. We're doing some pictures of the vehicle for the Crutchfield catalogue tomorrow, so you'll see my in our next catalogue if you happen to get those in the mail.

Oh, I used Velcro outdoor grade two sided velcro and it holds my sub perfectly against the back seats without drilling any holes or taking up much space

I hope this helps with your upgrade!

Ford Bronco Bronco standard sound system 6 speaker upgrade DIY writeup w/ instructions (dash & kick panel speaker removal) & wiring diagram 20220520_145425

[/QUOTE
Thanks for this information! I am hoping to install the kicker sub 10in as well. Are you able to provide the link to the crutchfield harness? I can’t seem to find it. I saw plug n play has one but I would like to order through crutchfield. Thanks!

ShortBus.cle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I finished upgrading the speakers in my Big Bend this past weekend and wanted to give those interested some information that may help--

My Big Bend came equipped with the standard 6-Speaker system and I simply wanted to upgrade the speakers to give the stereo a little better sound. I previously owned a 2017 Jeep JK Sahara that I used some Kicker speakers so I decided to go the same route as I liked the sound from the Kickers.

I got 2 pairs of 4in (46CSC44) and 1 pair of 6.5in (46CSC654) Kicker CS speakers. From my previous install on the Jeep, I learned that using speaker baffles was a good idea so I also purchased Boom Mat speaker baffles. For the 4in speakers, I used some Posi-Twist connectors and added a pair of 300Hz Bass Blockers for the front only.

For the 6.5in I used the Metra 82-5605 Mounting Brackets as well as the Metra 72-5602 Wiring Harness.

The speaker installation was straightforward the most time-consuming part is taking apart all the plastic trim which I am so glad some on the forum had already submitted so I was ready with all the appropriate trim removal tools and knowledge.

I have included the documentation I used to remove the trim panels and wiring diagram and well as photos of the install and of the products I used.

I hope this information will be useful for some.

EDIT:
I am adding some pigtail connector diagrams that were submitted by another user on the forum (credit to FLIP). The diagrams will show color wires and their polarity.

EDIT2 (2022MAY02)
I have added a Kicker Key 200.4 amp to my install (zipped at the metal panel under the steering wheel). Using the ingenious wiring harness from plugnplaykits.com. The sound from these speakers now is amazing.

First off THANK YOU for this detailed post. I ended up doing the exact same build following your post, I even just put in the kicker key amp. Seeing that we now have the same set up, do you get any clipping or disruptive noise out of your dash speakers when you listen to songs with any amount of bass? I swear I am not turning my volume up loud at all, this happens at 18+, crutchfield recommended I turn the gain down to zero but it already was. Overall the amp was a huge improvement m, just have this issue I can’t shake.

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does anyone know if they sell harnesses for the dash and roll cage speaker connections? Or do you need to splice up the wires and connect that way?